U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city should in the Metro Valley should I live in
Huntington 6 60.00%
Charleston 1 10.00%
Barboursville 3 30.00%
Teays valley/hurricane 3 30.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 06:57 PM

5 posts, read 1,753 times

Advertisements

I have been looking for a job in the metro valley and i was looking for a good city to live in. I have heard negative things about Huntington and Charleston. But I’ve looked at stats and both cities look somewhat safe. Thanks you guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 03:36 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,534,479 times
Good question Kentucky1994, maybe if you share a little info about your lifestyle, and how close you want to be to your job/shopping/restaurants ect, that will help the good folks here provide feedback for you.

Just an FYI, i have lived or worked in all of the areas mentioned in the poll question. I am currently in the Teays Valley area (Winfield proper), i love it here. IMO, it's one of the best areas in the entire state for what i am looking for. Of course, there are good and bad aspects to all places.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:09 AM

498 posts, read 456,210 times
Honestly, none of those options are bad. Just depends on what you want. Charleston and Huntington are comparable. Barboursville is a Huntington suburb. Hurricane/Teays Valley are right in the middle between the two so you have easy access to both cities but will always need to drive the 20 minutes or so to eat, shop, etc.

Also of note: I-64 is under major construction right now and will be for the forseeable future. The two areas that will be impacted soon are between the St. Albans exit and Cross Lanes while they build a new bridge across the Kanawha River as well as the area between Merritt's Creek exit and the Huntington Mall exit while they increase capacity from 4 lanes to 8 lanes.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:20 AM

12,245 posts, read 11,597,585 times
The Interstate is a factor. If you are working in Huntington, you want to live somewhere before Exit 18 on I-64. If you are working in Charleston, you don't want to be driving between Exits 44 and 45 for the next few years.

You need to decide on the city first. Either one offers plenty. The negatives are easily avoided. Yes, WV has a problem with opioid addiction and homeless people. City governments are dealing with those issues. I suppose there are areas to avoid, but I'm not entirely sure exactly where they are. I almost never see any signs of drugs or homeless vagrants as I go about the normal things a person does in life, in either Huntington or Charleston.

There are people on this forum that live in both cities that will surely be able to answer any questions you have. It usually works best if you pick an area first and ask questions about it.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:12 AM

5,193 posts, read 7,126,729 times
It really depends on where you are going to work. Teays Valley gives you the best of both, but as mentioned above the interstate is a mess. I wouldn't allow that to be a deal-breaker because Teays Valley, Scott Depot, Hurricane, etc... are very nice with plenty of amenities and services. If you plan on working in Charleston or Kanawha County, I would suggest South Charleston as another option. I live in Charleston (Oakridge area) and I love it. Getting around Charleston is quick and easy with the layout of the roads and its condensed nature. Depending on your interests, there is either a lot to do, or just enough. I personally like the restaurant/small business scene here. Basically anything you'd want is here, but maybe not a specific store brand or restaurant chain.

Old 12-09-2019, 05:14 PM

I am looking for a job in the healthcare field and it looks like both Charleston and Huntington have a plethora of options. I am leaning towards the Huntington area because of Marshall University being there. I have also heard that Huntington has some high taxes. I think I hear so much negativity about Huntington and Charleston is because it is in a very rural state. Most people think that Huntington and Charleston are terrible because they have crime, but they don’t even compare to some other cities in the US.

Old 12-09-2019, 05:22 PM

I have been looking at some real estate in the area. I’d preferably like to live 10-20 minutes from downtown Huntington. Downtown Huntington seems to have a decent nightlife scene, especially with Pullman plaza and Marshall being right downtown. I like to do outdoor activities and it looks like the area has a lot of parks including Beech fork, coonskin, etc.

Old 12-10-2019, 07:20 AM

498 posts, read 456,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky1994 View Post
I have been looking at some real estate in the area. I’d preferably like to live 10-20 minutes from downtown Huntington. Downtown Huntington seems to have a decent nightlife scene, especially with Pullman plaza and Marshall being right downtown. I like to do outdoor activities and it looks like the area has a lot of parks including Beech fork, coonskin, etc.
Taxes aren't bad at all, that shouldn't be a consideration.

If you want to be 10-20 minutes from downtown, Barboursville might be your best option. However, house prices are higher in Barboursville than other surrounding suburbs. If you're looking to go cheaper and more rural, out toward Lavalette may work.

Also, I'm assuming you're from Kentucky given your name. Ashland has King's Daughters Medical Center. It's a fantastic, highly rated hospital. It may be worth looking into as well

Old 12-10-2019, 03:26 PM

12,245 posts, read 11,597,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky1994 View Post
There's stuff going on at the riverfront park all the time. Ritter Park has a lot of activities. Rotary Park in the east end of the city is a hidden gem.

Where is the real estate you are looking at?

Old 12-11-2019, 10:28 AM

I’ve been mostly looking for 3bd 2 bath houses for around 200K. It looks like both Huntington and Ashland have a decent selection. I appreciate all of your guys’ help on my new move. This move will be a big move for me. (I live in a town of about 2,000.) but I am really excited about it. Thanks for being so helpful. I can already tell the area has that “southern hospitality” that I love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or