U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 08:50 PM

6 posts, read 18,467 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking of moving from Columbia MD to West Virginia. We have made several trips to WV to meet with builders and to view homesites. We've met with Dan Ryan, Toll Bros, Wormald, Kettler, GemCraft, Richmond American, Drees, Arcadia Homes, and KHOV. As you can see we've been around. We've seen some very nice homes. Some in nice areas and some not so nice. We are looking for a reputable company that produces good quality. We are also looking in the range of $400k with at least 1/2 acre.

1. Builders? Does anyone have any recommendations on any of the above builders or any builders we have not mentioned. We just found out that Dan Ryan just lost a 500K lawsuit in 12/07. We also found a very disturbing complaint on complaints.com (Dan Ryan Builders - Please take a moment to read about my horrible experiences with Dan Ryan and why I would NEVER buy another home from them. Upon moving into my new home (February 2001) in "St. James Village" located in Hagerstown, MD everything se). After reading this, we're are terrified of Dan Ryan and we have another meeting with them in a week or so.

2. Schools? We have been told to stay within the Jefferson County area for schools. We've done some research and it seems to show just that, but we don't live there so we're are asking for help.

3. Communities and locals? I am African American, my wife is Puerto Rican and we are in the process of adopting a little girl from Europe. As you can see we are a very diverse family, is WV hospitality as good as we've heard?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Becmak...

Last edited by becmak; 04-20-2008 at 09:46 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,696 times
Red face Just jump in!!

It was hard to discuss issues openly before Obama brought to light that we still have race issues in America, though it was not a new topic, he just brought it back in vogue. One group says,"no issues here" and the other groups says "Are you crazy, there are STILL issues." Depending on which group you subscribe to WV will be what you make of it. But what it won't be much different than almost any other suburb in America, relatively. You still have some people with issues, and some who are just nice folks. You take the good with the bad. I thought research showed that Berkeley County had better schools. I have stuck with the private schools, supposedly Christian but they still have their issues too, Christ like and all. I know this will probably anger some, but then again, it all depends which set of rose colored glasses from which you see life.

The HOA situation is one thing you want to watch for it is tricky. In an area where many like their ATV enforcing the convenants is proving to be an uphill battle in our community. If you can't enforce the convenant why should everyone else pay when the whole HOA organization is reduced to just snow removal and common area grass cutting. You still pay for trash pick up individually unlike some Virginia HOAs. Congestion from an infrasturcture that has yet to grow and accomodate the growth being experienced. Housing prices and fantastic views are about the best things going but chose carefully.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:31 PM

418 posts, read 1,109,978 times
I would offer that if you are moving to Jefferson County, you won't find any other mixed race issues than you've found in Columbia. Both are Washington Metro Area suburbs. My take is that you'll love living here.

We've been wonderfully happy with South Jefferson Elementary school, fairly happy with the middle and high schools. This coming year, the new high school will open. I'll have a senior at Jefferson High and a freshman at the new Washington High. The constant drain of qualified teachers over the Virginia state line is problematic.

Are you specifically set on building a new home? I ask because this certainly seems to be a buyers market. Just like the closer in suburbs, there are many homes for sale by motivated sellers. Huntfield, Spruce Hill, Locust Hill - several very nice developments that seem to have affordable homes.

Good luck with your move.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:37 PM

1,946 posts, read 3,652,005 times
That's ironic, me and my wife have been looking at moving from WV to Columbia, MD.

Maybe we can just switch houses?

Old 04-21-2008, 01:43 PM

1,502 posts, read 6,966,043 times
We just moved from Pasadena MD to Falling Waters. We are in the Brookfield development and like it, the lots are 1/2 to 1 acre. The school district is Hedgesville and I have no complaints with them. I have a daughter at Hedgesville High and a son at Potomack Int.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:26 PM

6 posts, read 18,467 times
Thank you to everyone who commented. This is great information. We are still a bit nervous about buying at Ryan's Glen in Rippon due to the issues that heard, so if anyone hears anything else, please let us know.

Silkdashocker, thanks for the house switch offer. Sounds like a great idea but we are renting a SFH in Columbia and we are not moving until 4/09. But our main question is why are you moving out here? The costs for Real Estate is crazy high. Right next to us a house a little larger than ours is going for 700K. That's why we are migrating west. They are robbing folks blind our here.

Andre' & Wife

Old 04-21-2008, 02:32 PM

1,502 posts, read 6,966,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becmak View Post
Thank you to everyone who commented. This is great information. We are still a bit nervous about buying at Ryan's Glen in Rippon due to the issues that heard, so if anyone hears anything else, please let us know.

Silkdashocker, thanks for the house switch offer. Sounds like a great idea but we are renting a SFH in Columbia and we are not moving until 4/09. But our main question is why are you moving out here? The costs for Real Estate is crazy high. Right next to us a house a little larger than ours is going for 700K. That's why we are migrating west. They are robbing folks blind our here.

Andre' & Wife
That's what brought us out here. Basically, we couldn't afford to purchase our own house let alone get a bigger one, since we wanted a rancher we couldn't even afford the land let alone with the house . We got everything we wanted for less than we sold our house for.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:06 PM

1,946 posts, read 3,652,005 times
My wife got a job working for Valassis in Columbia, MD. She's been out there 3 out of the last 4 weeks. We are hoping that she will be able to work from Saint Albans, WV remotely once she get's settled in with her job.
Good luck in your move to WV. I hope you will find that the people are nice here and that it's accomodating to your lifestyle.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:57 PM

4,714 posts, read 12,367,315 times
Ask the area lumber vendors who builds the best homes...Lowes, Home Depot and 84 Lumber carry them on their accounts...We have Dan here in our Bridgeport community and I would call them average...what is called a quick air nail job...
your families echnicitity will be a plus...

Old 04-21-2008, 07:39 PM

418 posts, read 1,109,978 times
hmmm ..... so, rippon is south of charles town by several miles. you'll have easy access to northern va via rt 340 south and rt 7 east. should be good living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia