Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2019, 09:43 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times

Advertisements

https://www.businessinsider.com/beck...lace-us-2019-2

I am considering WV for a retirement destination, and on the recommendation of some of the fine folks on this forum have been researching the Beckley area. Came across the above article, figured I'd share it-my apologies if it's already been poster. Some highlights:

Quote:
The Beckley, West Virginia, metro area is the cheapest place to live in the US.

The median home price is $110,000 and there are plenty of free entertainment and outdoor recreational activities, contributing to a low cost of living.

The metro has a small-town vibe, but also serves as a healthcare and education hub.
Sounds about perfect for me-my idea of entertainment is a trip into the backcountry (usually on a motorcycle).

I'm looking forward to trying the Mid-Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route once I make the move. https://ridebdr.maps.arcgis.com/apps...a6e2e1e45e0f3d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2019, 01:10 AM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
What are winters like in Beckley? I've been doing some research and was surprised at the total snowfall-it's actually more than I get here in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho (which, if you follow the lines of latitude across is ~100 miles north of Toronto). But the temperatures are a few degrees warmer as well. Does snow stick around most of the winter, or does it dump and melt in a few days? I'm an avid motorcyclist-one of the reasons for the potential move is for a longer riding season (my private road up here will ice over, often from Thanksgiving through March). Thanks in advance.

Old 12-25-2019, 07:24 PM

360 posts, read 1,087,238 times
I think that article is misleading. While Beckley is certainly affordable there are certainly more affordable towns in WV and elsewhere from my research. But if you're looking for a smaller town that has a lot of amenities for it's size and is still affordable then Beckley is definitely a good choice.

Old 12-26-2019, 05:53 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,509,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What are winters like in Beckley? I've been doing some research and was surprised at the total snowfall-it's actually more than I get here in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho (which, if you follow the lines of latitude across is ~100 miles north of Toronto). But the temperatures are a few degrees warmer as well. Does snow stick around most of the winter, or does it dump and melt in a few days? I'm an avid motorcyclist-one of the reasons for the potential move is for a longer riding season (my private road up here will ice over, often from Thanksgiving through March). Thanks in advance.
I lived in Beckley for a year and a half for work. The one winter I was there, the months of December and January has seemingly-endless small (2-5 inch) snow storms. There was one week where, no kidding, it snowed every single morning.

However, it typically doesn't last long. Melting will start within the same day.

I enjoyed my time in Beckley. Friendly people, plenty of outdoor amenities and I was satisfied with the dining/shopping options for an area its size.

I will say if you are expecting a growing area, that's not Beckley. Unfortunately, Beckley is not ammune from the struggles of the southern coalfields. People are slowly trickling out of the area and businesses closing.

If that doesn't bother you, then I think you have found the right fit.

Feel free to reply or DM me with other Beckley questions. Good luck with your search

Old 12-30-2019, 11:59 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
I've never lived in Beckley (or anywhere else in West Virginia), but I've vacationed there a few times. I really like it there. It's not a big city, but it does have some decent amenities. I've always found the people there to be really friendly. (I would assume that there are some unkind people in West Virginia, as there are everywhere else; but honestly, if there are, I've never met them.) The natural environment is quite beautiful; with the mountains and heavy tree coverage and nearby rivers and lakes, it might even remind you of Coeur d'Alene.

Beckley sits at the crossroads of two interstate highways (64 and 77) and it has a small airport, so it's not too hard to travel to other areas. Also, Charleston (with its larger airport) is only about an hour away. But once you get off the interstates, you'll find yourself on winding, twisting, scenic two-lane roads; the kind that just compel you to sing "Take Me Home, Country Roads" as you drive along.

OP, I would highly recommend that you pay a visit to Beckley. While you're there, be sure and visit the Exhibition Coal Mine, and Tamarack, and Pipestem State Park, among other natural attractions. And if you're a fan of the movie October Sky, the town of Coalwood is not far away. (The movie was set there, but not filmed there.) Whether or not you'll want to retire there, only you can know that. But I can't imagine you won't like it.

Old 12-31-2019, 04:40 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,509,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I've never lived in Beckley (or anywhere else in West Virginia), but I've vacationed there a few times. I really like it there. It's not a big city, but it does have some decent amenities. I've always found the people there to be really friendly. (I would assume that there are some unkind people in West Virginia, as there are everywhere else; but honestly, if there are, I've never met them.) The natural environment is quite beautiful; with the mountains and heavy tree coverage and nearby rivers and lakes, it might even remind you of Coeur d'Alene.

Beckley sits at the crossroads of two interstate highways (64 and 77) and it has a small airport, so it's not too hard to travel to other areas. Also, Charleston (with its larger airport) is only about an hour away. But once you get off the interstates, you'll find yourself on winding, twisting, scenic two-lane roads; the kind that just compel you to sing "Take Me Home, Country Roads" as you drive along.

OP, I would highly recommend that you pay a visit to Beckley. While you're there, be sure and visit the Exhibition Coal Mine, and Tamarack, and Pipestem State Park, among other natural attractions. And if you're a fan of the movie October Sky, the town of Coalwood is not far away. (The movie was set there, but not filmed there.) Whether or not you'll want to retire there, only you can know that. But I can't imagine you won't like it.
OP: Also be sure to take in the views at Grandview Park and the New River Gorge. Both of those sites made me fall in love with southern West Virginia and I miss it everyday since I moved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia