U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 10:31 AM

198 posts, read 306,228 times

Advertisements

Interesting.

https://wtov9.com/news/local/wva-sen...ate-01-15-2020
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 10:35 AM

1,528 posts, read 3,612,623 times
Is there a large group of people in Frederick County who want to be part of West Virginia? I would think the less complicated solution would be for them to move about ten or 15 miles in most directions as West Virginia surrounds them on three sides.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:53 AM

725 posts, read 834,415 times
There's no chance in hell this actually happens, but I don't think the writer of this resolution realizes that Winchester is an independent city and not a part of Frederick County.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:19 PM

5,257 posts, read 8,456,448 times
I love Frederick County, VA north and west of Winchester (including the city itself.) South and east, meh, might as well be in NOVA Jr.

That is an interesting legal situation. Normally counties don't have a right to even consider a vote as they are not "sovereign" political entities, but rather jurisdictional conveniences of their state (which is sovereign.)

Old 01-15-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
There's no chance in hell this actually happens, but I don't think the writer of this resolution realizes that Winchester is an independent city and not a part of Frederick County.
Exactly. Winchester (like every incorporated city in Virginia) is independent of the county. It is however the county seat of Frederick County so that adds an even greater layer of complexity.

Old 01-16-2020, 06:59 AM

56 posts, read 34,024 times
There was an article I read recently that did a study on how people in the US are moving to places where the political/cultural/religious/etc leanings are similar. This trend is accelerating all across the US.

I don't think this particular situation will result in a county changing states, but this could be a sort of 'test case'. Perhaps in the future due to the trends of people self segregating, countys will change states or states will break apart.

Old 01-16-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer1871 View Post
There was an article I read recently that did a study on how people in the US are moving to places where the political/cultural/religious/etc leanings are similar. This trend is accelerating all across the US.

I don't think this particular situation will result in a county changing states, but this could be a sort of 'test case'. Perhaps in the future due to the trends of people self segregating, countys will change states or states will break apart.
Perhaps but Frederick County is already largely similar politically / culturally / religiously to the other counties around it. The counties in the Shenandoah Valley are all largely conservative. I am just not largely sure what their reasoning is for wanting this change.

Old 01-16-2020, 10:35 AM

70 posts, read 62,379 times
I live in Frederick County, and there is no chance of this ever happening. WV probably just wants us because we'd be instantly one of the best counties in WV to live in! :-)

Old 01-16-2020, 11:12 AM

5,257 posts, read 8,456,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Perhaps but Frederick County is already largely similar politically / culturally / religiously to the other counties around it. The counties in the Shenandoah Valley are all largely conservative. I am just not largely sure what their reasoning is for wanting this change.
VA is now a blue state. Gun laws are coming.

There are already rumbles of division between NOVA and the rest of the state. Unlike in Maryland where the other 1/2 of the D.C. sprawl is located, that "rest of the state" outside the suburbs is a BIG chunk of territory with millions of people.

Old 01-16-2020, 12:24 PM

The gun law hype is being way overblown. Virginia has had Democrat governors before and the State House has at one time or another also been Democrat controlled. Nothing happened. There might be a new law here and there such as only being able to buy one handgun a month (which by the way existed under Republican leadership prior to 2012 before it was ended) but Virginia is nothing like Maryland or New York or California. Many Democrats here even own guns and are also conservative Democrats- and there may be a very liberal one or two in Northern Virginia but they are in a big minority. The 'rumbles' are often that we pay a lot in taxes to fund pet projects in other parts of the state but that are in economic decline or stagnation- the same arguments are made in most states where there is a large urban/ rural divide. Virginia is also not as rural as people think- 3 million out of 8.5 million live in Northern Virginia. Over a million live in the Richmond metro and nearly 2 million in Hampton Roads- many citizens in those urban areas also helped turn Virginia blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia