Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2019, 09:06 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,113 times

Advertisements

We have been offered an opportunity to invest in some property in Shepherdstown WVA. This is a commercial venture. We have properties in 6 states including Virginia and Maryland. W st Virginia has always seemed risky but I understand that Jefferson county is more economically healthy than other parts of the state.

We have visited Shepherdstown a few times now and it seems nice enough....lots of college kids and friendly locals. From an investment perspective we are not sure if we will attract enough of a market to have this pay off.

Tell me about Shepherdstown....the good, the bad, etc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 09:51 AM

632 posts, read 831,145 times
You seem to be familiar with Shepherdstown so I don't know how much that I can tell you that you wouldn't already know. Not to mention I don't know anything about the investment. But it's a trendy little town with a college. So prices are inflated on properties because of the limited options. It's an quickly growing county and region but Shepherdstown is a bit more remote, so it isn't as grown up as some of the surrounding towns...yet at least. To me, it seems as though you might be buying high on a property right now, but that's just my opinion. But also because it is a college town, you're not going to see as drastic of downturns in real estate as you would elsewhere, so that's the good news.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:06 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
You seem to be familiar with Shepherdstown so I don't know how much that I can tell you that you wouldn't already know. Not to mention I don't know anything about the investment. But it's a trendy little town with a college. So prices are inflated on properties because of the limited options. It's an quickly growing county and region but Shepherdstown is a bit more remote, so it isn't as grown up as some of the surrounding towns...yet at least. To me, it seems as though you might be buying high on a property right now, but that's just my opinion. But also because it is a college town, you're not going to see as drastic of downturns in real estate as you would elsewhere, so that's the good news.
Thanks! I am thick in the middle of doing market research on comps /property. It does seem Shepherdstown is a wee bit inflated but also that things sit for awhile.

Would you say that the area is a bit less conservative politically than other parts of the state? We were surprised by the number of "smoke shops" but chalked that up to being a college town.

Old 07-23-2019, 03:13 PM

632 posts, read 831,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Thanks! I am thick in the middle of doing market research on comps /property. It does seem Shepherdstown is a wee bit inflated but also that things sit for awhile.

Would you say that the area is a bit less conservative politically than other parts of the state? We were surprised by the number of "smoke shops" but chalked that up to being a college town.
Shepherdstown is an extremely liberal enclave. It has a large "old hippie" population as well as the younger "hipster" generation. Add in the college and I'd take a guess that the town itself is probably about 80% left leaning. The type of demographics found in Shepherdstown are closer to somewhere like Burlington, VT than WV.

Old 07-23-2019, 03:55 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
DEAD in Summer ...Over Crowed Fall, Winter & Spring.

IF you plan to rent to College Crowed then Don't count on Tenants in Summer.

Old 02-26-2020, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
Shepherdstown is an extremely liberal enclave. It has a large "old hippie" population as well as the younger "hipster" generation. Add in the college and I'd take a guess that the town itself is probably about 80% left leaning. The type of demographics found in Shepherdstown are closer to somewhere like Burlington, VT than WV.
Great news, Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia