Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 08:14 AM

115 posts, read 83,481 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm considering another road trip this year, possibly to VA again. I'd be driving down from New England. My interest has piqued to include WVA in my road trip. Not having ever been to WVA, I'm not sure which place(s) to choose. I'm thinking of at least a 1 day, possibly 2-3 day stay in WVA and then head over to VA. Any help or recommendations would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 08:53 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,882,478 times
Time of year?

What are your interests? Skiing? Fishing? Hunting? Site seeing? Historical places?

Old 02-10-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
Time of year?

What are your interests? Skiing? Fishing? Hunting? Site seeing? Historical places?
Either latter part of May or beginning part of September.

Interests are open. Enjoy mountains and cities but prefer mountains to cities, hiking but too extreme, beautiful views, site seeing in terms of nature and historical places, definitely good local food.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:16 AM

632 posts, read 832,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm72 View Post
Either latter part of May or beginning part of September.

Interests are open. Enjoy mountains and cities but prefer mountains to cities, hiking but too extreme, beautiful views, site seeing in terms of nature and historical places, definitely good local food.
Stick to the mountains. Check out:

Snowshoe, Canaan Valley, Seneca Rocks, New River Gorge, Blackwater Falls, The Greenbrier, Cass, Green Bank, Spruce Knob, Cranberry Glades, Dolly Sods

That should be a pretty good start on most of the bigger attractions in the mountains.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:35 AM

456 posts, read 602,793 times
Check out these town's depending where you choose to go. Elkins,Davis,Lewisburg,Beckley and Fayetteville are all good choices and all the above have good food options. Canaan Resort is a nice place to stay as well as Stonewall Lake resort. Questions on specific restaurants can be answered once you know your destination. Some of the mountain areas will have bad or no cell service.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:44 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
Anything in the Quiet Zone. I love the Greenbrier River Trail and parks in Pocahontas County. And Allegheny Mountain Radio... love the announcements.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:48 AM

WOW! Thank you all for your input and quick replies! I have some research to do!

Old 02-10-2020, 12:27 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
The number one place to put on your list is Seneca Rocks. It is a piece of geography unique to West Virginia. It's stunning just to look at, but if you like hiking, it's something you probably don't want to miss.

Old 02-10-2020, 12:32 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The number one place to put on your list is Seneca Rocks. It is a piece of geography unique to West Virginia. It's stunning just to look at, but if you like hiking, it's something you probably don't want to miss.
Great suggestion. It's a gradual incline hike to the top but doable for even the most novice hiker.

Old 02-10-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia