Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 11:49 PM

9 posts, read 11,021 times

Advertisements

I lived in Northern Virginia and have bought a house in Jefferson County outside of Charles Town about a month ago. I was happy at first, but there are tons of homeless people, drugs, no jobs and it seems just as bad as the rest of West Virginia. Roads are so horrible it's a relief getting into VA or MD. I was under the impression Jefferson County was the only nice area in the state. I'm starting to really regret moving here and I'm afraid for my children's future. Is there any hope for this area or something positive? Thinking of moving back to VA but I want to be part of the solution here if I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 12:25 AM

13,908 posts, read 39,079,600 times
Move!

Old 10-11-2019, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Move!
I bet you're from Martinsburg and not Jefferson County. Very rude people over there.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:32 AM

13,908 posts, read 39,079,600 times
I have lived in Martinsburg/Berkley Co & Charles Town/Ranson/Jefferson Co for 45 years Never Run into what the OP is describing. Lack of jobs yes But not homeless & drugs. Bet OP lives in what used to be called wrong side of the track. Sure there are drugs & homeless That EVERYWHERE. In 45 years I only read about it the news papers Not live any where near it.

OP needs to Move to an area he knows....

Old 10-11-2019, 06:47 AM

1,379 posts, read 2,486,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger175 View Post
I lived in Northern Virginia and have bought a house in Jefferson County outside of Charles Town about a month ago. I was happy at first, but there are tons of homeless people, drugs, no jobs and it seems just as bad as the rest of West Virginia. Roads are so horrible it's a relief getting into VA or MD. I was under the impression Jefferson County was the only nice area in the state. I'm starting to really regret moving here and I'm afraid for my children's future. Is there any hope for this area or something positive? Thinking of moving back to VA but I want to be part of the solution here if I can.
I want to help you and will Ranger, but I also have to be brutally honest in order to do so.

If you are not happy in Jefferson, you won't like anywhere else in WV.

Jefferson is, by far, one of the most prosperous areas of the state with the best roads. You're actually the first person I've ever heard complain about the roads in Jefferson and I've lived here my whole life. The Eastern Panhandle has the best roads in WV, hands down. I have friends from other parts of the state and their jaws drop when they come here and see the growth, good roads, new housing, etc.

I'm not in any way saying your points are invalid. I appreciate you sharing your views. They are just simultaneously intriguing and shocking to me. This looks like a description of the southern coalfields or the Ohio Valley, not the Eastern Panhandle.

As far as jobs go, we are a bedroom community. One of the main characteristics of a bedroom community is tons of available housing and primarily service-related jobs (restaurants, bars, retail, etc). I've seen this in bedroom communities across the US. People live here and work elsewhere.

The drug issue is a national epidemic, including in Northern Virginia. However, I will agree it is more obvious here. It seems to be more hidden elsewhere. I've also noticed a recent uptick in homeless people walking around in Berkeley.

Just curious, what brought you here? What was it about Jefferson County that made you happy at first? Just trying to get a feel for your interests so I can help you. I appreciate the conversation.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
I want to help you and will Ranger, but I also have to be brutally honest in order to do so.

If you are not happy in Jefferson, you won't like anywhere else in WV.

Jefferson is, by far, one of the most prosperous areas of the state with the best roads. You're actually the first person I've ever heard complain about the roads in Jefferson and I've lived here my whole life. The Eastern Panhandle has the best roads in WV, hands down. I have friends from other parts of the state and their jaws drop when they come here and see the growth, good roads, new housing, etc.

I'm not in any way saying your points are invalid. I appreciate you sharing your views. They are just simultaneously intriguing and shocking to me. This looks like a description of the southern coalfields or the Ohio Valley, not the Eastern Panhandle.

As far as jobs go, we are a bedroom community. One of the main characteristics of a bedroom community is tons of available housing and primarily service-related jobs (restaurants, bars, retail, etc). I've seen this in bedroom communities across the US. People live here and work elsewhere.

The drug issue is a national epidemic, including in Northern Virginia. However, I will agree it is more obvious here. It seems to be more hidden elsewhere. I've also noticed a recent uptick in homeless people walking around in Berkeley.

Just curious, what brought you here? What was it about Jefferson County that made you happy at first? Just trying to get a feel for your interests so I can help you. I appreciate the conversation.
I'm not a Ranger. I fixed up an old house by Summit Point. I'm big into history and have trained at Summit Point with the Feds several times with the State Department. I lived in Middleburg in a smaller, but nice home. My family is originally from Jefferson but they all moved to VA or MD in the 1990s. I was born in Summit Point. I saw the home, for cheap, and bought it. Maybe I'm just used to nicer people in VA with greater opportunity and way of life, but it's horrible here. I'll probably lose my ass on trying to help the economy here and now they are taking the train away I'm screwed. Yet, they'll give millions to Rockwool. WV blows my mind.

Since being in Jefferson, I have had my house broken into twice (yes i have alarms and it took the police 40 minutes to get there because there were only 2 working the whole county) and have seen drug deals everywhere. Now that I'm trying to sell my home, it's difficult because people with money don't want to live remotely near Rockwool apparently. I have developers wanting to buy my land and I may give in. Dan Ryan of course. Seems like thats all that is built here. Bunch of crap homes.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I'm not a Ranger. I fixed up an old house by Summit Point. I'm big into history and have trained at Summit Point with the Feds several times with the State Department. I lived in Middleburg in a smaller, but nice home. My family is originally from Jefferson but they all moved to VA or MD in the 1990s. I was born in Summit Point. I saw the home, for cheap, and bought it. Maybe I'm just used to nicer people in VA with greater opportunity and way of life, but it's horrible here. I'll probably lose my ass on trying to help the economy here and now they are taking the train away I'm screwed. Yet, they'll give millions to Rockwool. WV blows my mind.

Since being in Jefferson, I have had my house broken into twice (yes i have alarms and it took the police 40 minutes to get there because there were only 2 working the whole county) and have seen drug deals everywhere. Now that I'm trying to sell my home, it's difficult because people with money don't want to live remotely near Rockwool apparently. I have developers wanting to buy my land and I may give in. Dan Ryan of course. Seems like thats all that is built here. Bunch of crap homes.
Your username is Ranger175, so I'm not sure how else I was supposed to refer to you. We refer to each by usernames on here because, well that's the only identifying information we have of each other.

I'm sorry to hear you've had a negative experience with your home being broken into, etc. I'm also sorry that because of your negative experiences, you probably won't be able to see the WV we see. Based on what you've said here and posts I've seen from you on other threads, I don't think any of us can change your mind at this point.

I love WV. I never want to leave again. I left for 4 years and lived in a state much larger and more economically stable. I couldn't wait to come back to WV.

I can't explain it, it's just something I feel in my blood. I've also lived in multiple places in WV like the southern coalfields (the Eastern Panhandle is to the southern coalfields what northern Virginia is to southern Virginia).

To me, this is the greater way of life.

I wish you all the best in whatever you choose.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:19 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,051,122 times
I have seen some Dan Ryan home designs, they don’t look that bad online. Are they just cheaply made?

That stinks you are having trouble selling due to the Rockwool plant. Would just cutting your losses and selling to a developer put you out very much? Best of luck with everything

Old 10-14-2019, 03:18 PM

6,903 posts, read 11,158,704 times
Quote:
You are still in the D.C. burbs, just not the suburb that seems like the best fit for you.

I have to ask, is the real source of your frustration that Rockwool plant? If it is, you have a chance to get to know the community better and potentially find your fit. It has only been a month, right? Give it a bit more time.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
You are still in the D.C. burbs, just not the suburb that seems like the best fit for you.

I have to ask, is the real source of your frustration that Rockwool plant? If it is, you have a chance to get to know the community better and potentially find your fit. It has only been a month, right? Give it a bit more time.
I'll add to that another question: have you visited other local communities? I recommend spending some time in Shepherdstown and Berkeley Springs.

Shepherdstown is a small college town with a unique vibe that I don't think can be replicated elsewhere.

The drive to Berkeley Springs is beautiful once you hit the Morgan County line. The town of Berkeley Springs has a unique mix of history, local shops and restaurants.

Martinsburg...is a work in progress. It has a long way to go, but it is trying. New shops and restaurants have opened downtown with more projects on the way. I've lived in Martinsburg almost my entire life and right now is the best I've ever seen downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia