U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-27-2020, 02:18 PM
 
4,681 posts, read 4,455,566 times
Reputation: 3380

Advertisements

Supposedly there have been sightings but can anyone confirm? I read there have been only western cougars making their way there but no eastern cougars remain as all are extinct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2020, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Winfield, WV
1,930 posts, read 3,534,170 times
Reputation: 559
I ******* hope not. I have an irrational fear of apex predators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2020, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
5,257 posts, read 8,454,389 times
Reputation: 3690
Well, I've heard for the last 20 years there have been mountain lions around Pocahontas Co. My source is a guy who has worked for/with the Cass scenic railroad since he was a kid. He didnt' see it (of course!) but assured me his sources were honest and trustworthy.

I think they are already here, but not a breeding population. I saw with my own eyes a photo taken in Garrett County, MD in the late 1990s of a tawny colored animal in a tree with a long tail draping down in a comma shape. When my friend contacted DNR........they said it was a dog. Yeah, no way a dog gets that high in a tree, but I digress.

I think we have migrant animals and some released captives. Considering the amount of deer and deer carcasses, I assume they can find food pretty easily. I don't think there is a breeding population because of the large home ranges animals need, the lack of road killed animals, and the lack of cell phone pictures/videos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2020, 04:50 PM
 
4,681 posts, read 4,455,566 times
Reputation: 3380
I bet there are mnt lions roaming unseen yet. The migration is due to running out of turf out west. Here yet in s AZ we have reports of sightings in surrounding mnts. But confirming, you are right, a diff thing. But I still think they are the most graceful, elegant USA creatures we still have & a shame they're going toward extinction.

No I wouldn't want to be face to face w/ one in wild, but sure would like seeing one roaming at a safe distance once we move back to WV (whenever we can finally do it). LOL

TY both for your info too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2020, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Southern West Virginia
533 posts, read 165,272 times
Reputation: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
I bet there are mnt lions roaming unseen yet. The migration is due to running out of turf out west. Here yet in s AZ we have reports of sightings in surrounding mnts. But confirming, you are right, a diff thing. But I still think they are the most graceful, elegant USA creatures we still have & a shame they're going toward extinction.

No I wouldn't want to be face to face w/ one in wild, but sure would like seeing one roaming at a safe distance once we move back to WV (whenever we can finally do it). LOL

TY both for your info too.
My cousin captured a photo of a mountain lion on a hunting trailcam in southern WV near the Virginia border. The photo is really clear, and there is no doubt that it is a mountain lion. They are here for sure, but they are so stealthy it is easy for them to go unnoticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2020, 09:22 AM
 
Location: elkins wv
366 posts, read 327,789 times
Reputation: 211
I personally saw a mountain lion in Randolph County in the early 80's in the mountains while hiking near the town of Whitmer. I was glad it was on a ridge over from me since I was unarmed and it didn't notice me. My family is from that area and it's the only time I have seen one . My brother in law saw one in the early 2000's while riding his motorcycle after crossing the border into Virginia. I believe they're out there just in small numbers. There are thousands of square miles in the mountain regions of the state that few people are ever in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2020, 09:52 AM
 
5,751 posts, read 3,389,944 times
Reputation: 2292
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Well, I've heard for the last 20 years there have been mountain lions around Pocahontas Co. My source is a guy who has worked for/with the Cass scenic railroad since he was a kid. He didnt' see it (of course!) but assured me his sources were honest and trustworthy.

I think they are already here, but not a breeding population. I saw with my own eyes a photo taken in Garrett County, MD in the late 1990s of a tawny colored animal in a tree with a long tail draping down in a comma shape. When my friend contacted DNR........they said it was a dog. Yeah, no way a dog gets that high in a tree, but I digress.

I think we have migrant animals and some released captives. Considering the amount of deer and deer carcasses, I assume they can find food pretty easily. I don't think there is a breeding population because of the large home ranges animals need, the lack of road killed animals, and the lack of cell phone pictures/videos.

Wolf Creek branch Lovely Ky NS railroad the signalmen swears he saw one 25 years ago ... you have to high rail this territory very isolated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2020, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Ohio via WV
498 posts, read 455,950 times
Reputation: 296
Everyone always claims to see one but there's never any proof either directly or indirectly. If they were actually here, there would have been some evidence by now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2020, 01:09 PM
 
Location: elkins wv
366 posts, read 327,789 times
Reputation: 211
Well I can tell you for a fact I saw one but that was 40 years ago. I didn't have a cell phone at that time in history and rarely carried a camera when hiking. I don't think there are many but I believe there are some in the backwoods and high country of this state. It has been at least 20 years since anyone I know has claimed to see one but most of my friends are now at a age they aren't in the woods as much anymore. I hiked 1000's of miles in my youth and only once did I see one and that was miles from any house. There are millions of unexplored or rarely explored acres in just a few of our states mountain counties and those in neighboring Virginia. I also in my youth only saw 4 bears on my many outings but now I see 20-30 bear a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2020, 05:54 PM
 
4,681 posts, read 4,455,566 times
Reputation: 3380
Quote:
Originally Posted by user491 View Post
My cousin captured a photo of a mountain lion on a hunting trailcam in southern WV near the Virginia border. The photo is really clear, and there is no doubt that it is a mountain lion. They are here for sure, but they are so stealthy it is easy for them to go unnoticed.
Can you post a pic of it? I'm sure others too would like to see it. I'd finally believe they are there but w/out pic evidence, no one really can confirm or believe they are here. Thanks if so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top