U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 03:17 PM

733 posts, read 836,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I actually think Putnam County will go back to Charleston's MSA. I think the commuting patterns speak for themselves, as well as the majority of Putnam's growth in the past decade being primarily eastern focused. Developments off the Scott Depot exit, and towards Winfield. I didn't think it was a fair representation of the county in 2010 when it was placed within Huntington's sphere, but I could be wrong. I have never lived in Putnam County and only know what I have seen and heard from others.

I think adding Jackson County and removing Clay County from the MSA would make a lot of sense.

Agree completely that Charleston and Huntington can't and shouldn't be one MSA.
It's all going to be based on what the numbers say. Outlying counties are included in the MSA or mSA if 25% of the workers living in the county work in the central county or counties or, conversely, 25% of the employment in the county is held by workers who live in the central county or counties. All counties in a MSA or mSA must be contiguous, and a county can only be included within one MSA or mSA. Adjacent MSAs or mSAs are merged into a single MSA or mSA when the central county or counties of one MSA or mSA qualify as an outlying county or counties to the other MSA or mSA. MSAs and/or mSAs may be grouped together or combined to form a larger statistical entity known as a combined statistical area (CSA) when the employment interchange measure (EIM) reaches 15% or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2020, 09:40 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,536,475 times
I agree with Chris in regard to Jackson County joining the Charleston MSA. Jackson County is developing more in the southern and central portion of the county now along I-77 N/S and even along Route 33 E/W. Parkersburg used to have a big influence on JC, and was always considered a part of the Mid-Ohio Valley Region. However, trends show more and more people are commuting to Charleston these days from Evans, Ripley, Fairplain, and Kenna. I don't have the commuter map, but someone here posted one a while back that showed the trends.

I have lived in Putnam County for almost 9 years now. While i work in Huntington and do most of my dining and shopping in Cabell County, my wife is the exact opposite. She works at the Tech Park in South Charleston, and still does most of her shopping, ect in Charleston area. With Putnam being so centrally located I am sure there are a lot of cases like that, where families utilized both cities frequently. That's why i would like to see Huntington/Charleston MSA's merged, and not just the less commonly used Combined Statistical Area (CSA). It would greatly benefit the entire area when it comes to federal funding, and recognition in many ways.

Old 03-14-2020, 05:48 AM

656 posts, read 148,934 times
Do areas of the Northern Panhandle show growth over 2010? There has been a lot of new renovations and investment in downtown wheeling. Plus new homes going in the Weirton area.

I think Morgantown and the Eastern panhandle show growth for sure. Jefferson and Berkeley counties are great. I hope they beat expectations. Especially, Jefferson being the DC metro and Charles Town a gem of a town.

The rest of the state probably not so good.

Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM

10,106 posts, read 12,753,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Do areas of the Northern Panhandle show growth over 2010? There has been a lot of new renovations and investment in downtown wheeling. Plus new homes going in the Weirton area.

I think Morgantown and the Eastern panhandle show growth for sure. Jefferson and Berkeley counties are great. I hope they beat expectations. Especially, Jefferson being the DC metro and Charles Town a gem of a town.

The rest of the state probably not so good.
Virtually all of the state's growth is in the Eastern Panhandle, and NCWV. The Wheeling and Upper Ohio Valley area is poised for growth if the oil and gas industries take off there, but to date that is on hold. Middle East and Russian oil interests continue to keep the world price of oil very low to maintain market share. They are afraid that American shale production will cost them their European market, which the Russians seem to also see as a political card.

I suspect there won't be a lot of growth anywhere for a time after this epidemic, and those areas with more elderly populations will lose people even faster. Much of southern West Virginia is in especially grave danger from this virus right now. The people there are less healthy on average, and older on average too. A great many of them lack good health insurance coverage. That will increase the burden on hospitals already having financial difficulties. I really don't think people are taking this as seriously as they should be doing.

Old Today, 10:22 AM

500 posts, read 457,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Virtually all of the state's growth is in the Eastern Panhandle, and NCWV. The Wheeling and Upper Ohio Valley area is poised for growth if the oil and gas industries take off there, but to date that is on hold. Middle East and Russian oil interests continue to keep the world price of oil very low to maintain market share. They are afraid that American shale production will cost them their European market, which the Russians seem to also see as a political card.

I suspect there won't be a lot of growth anywhere for a time after this epidemic, and those areas with more elderly populations will lose people even faster. Much of southern West Virginia is in especially grave danger from this virus right now. The people there are less healthy on average, and older on average too. A great many of them lack good health insurance coverage. That will increase the burden on hospitals already having financial difficulties. I really don't think people are taking this as seriously as they should be doing.
The fracking boom, while great for the area, does not bring people permanently into an area. It will bring in some business (some restaurants, some hotels, etc.) and boost local businesses with more people eating and shopping, but the people that are working at the O&G companies are not moving there permanently. They are living out of hotels or renting properties. They move back to Oklahoma, Texas, etc. whenever they're done working. The absolute best that it's going to do in terms of population, is slow the rate that these towns are hemorrhaging people. New Martinsville may lose 4% instead of 8% due to some O&G upper management moving to the area and off-setting the locals moving out. And even most of those people aren't going to be long-term residents. When their job is done, most will move away as well.

Last edited by 304eer; Today at 10:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia