Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2021, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 4,535 times

Advertisements

I've been following posts on this and just signed up and I noticed some messages from mensaguy who got pretty annoyed with someone commenting on people from WV.
I liked what you said to him. I'm from NY but have lived in NH for the past 15 years and we use to get the same garbage from people out of state. Even though I'm not from NH it really bothered me that people would pass judgement without knowing anything. Just had to say this.
Anyway I'm looking for information and help while I try and gather in information about moving to Lewisburg WV. I'm still in the research stage but I like what I've seen so far. I'm curious to know and get information about moving to surrounding towns within a 10+ mile radius thinking housing would be cheaper than being in Lewisburg itself. I don't know if that is so. I'm also trying to get information about renting a house or buying a house and it seems owning is cheaper. I have a million questions and would like some serious local information if possible. I'm not a city person meaning living in. I like the country, space, quite, good people, neighbors, but close enough to things you need. I had that in NH. I lived on a beautiful back road with great neighbors not to close since everyone had some property but I was within 5-10 miles from anything you needed. I don't need much just food shopping, pharmacy, doctor, dentist, you know normal stuff. I like things simple. I know this is long but I really would appreciate some help. I'm in NY now where I'm from and have been for the past 4 years taking care of my parents but unfortunately both have passed in the last 8 months and I'm doing all the house things to get ready to sell. It's time to get out of NY again the state has gone nuts. Certain parts of upstate NY are amazing but it still is NY and they follow the same rules through the whole state. It's a shame. Even NH took a beating since I left and it's just not the same, what shame there also. Can I get some in depth help?????
Thanks a head of time to people that respond. This is my first time on here so I'm not sure how it works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2021, 11:29 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,881,181 times
Lewisburg should be a good location for you from your description. There really aren't many "towns" 10 miles out but you will find unincorporated places.

I like the country, space, quite, good people, neighbors, but close enough to things you need.

Should few problems finding this, in my opinion. Like always, it is best to visit the area and scout it out yourself. You can use internet searches to find what is available and to locate a real estate company to assist you.

Old 12-06-2021, 07:50 AM

6,963 posts, read 2,697,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
Lewisburg should be a good location for you from your description. There really aren't many "towns" 10 miles out but you will find unincorporated places.

I like the country, space, quite, good people, neighbors, but close enough to things you need.

Should few problems finding this, in my opinion. Like always, it is best to visit the area and scout it out yourself. You can use internet searches to find what is available and to locate a real estate company to assist you.
Wrong. I was born in Ronceverte which is less than 5 miles south. You also have White Sulphur Springs less than 10 miles to the east which his home to the world famous Greenbrier resort, and Alderson to the south west. Contact Greg Allman about what's available anywhere in Greenbrier County.

Old 12-06-2021, 11:53 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,881,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Wrong. I was born in Ronceverte which is less than 5 miles south. You also have White Sulphur Springs less than 10 miles to the east which his home to the world famous Greenbrier resort, and Alderson to the south west. Contact Greg Allman about what's available anywhere in Greenbrier County.
I didn't say there weren't ANY, I said not MANY. Alderson is 14.1 according to Google Maps so that one doesn't qualify within five or ten.

I think it would be a nice area to live and he/she should be fine down that way.

Old 01-30-2022, 03:41 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,171,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antny914 View Post
I've been following posts on this and just signed up and I noticed some messages from mensaguy who got pretty annoyed with someone commenting on people from WV.
I liked what you said to him..
I'm reading this thread some time after it started, but I read mensaguy's response to that other thread, too - the one he closed due to "negative stereotypes."

My late mother was born in Wheeling in 1918, and I can't tell you how many jokes I've heard throughout my life, asking if she married her cousin or brother. It really rankles me.

My grandfather designed and built some of the most beautiful homes in Wheeling, including ones my mother and her two siblings grew up in. My mother was an amazing musician who studied voice and harp at Juilliard, studying under the most famous harpist of his generation, back in the 1940s. I'm not sure how much her Lyon and Healy gold leaf-plated harp cost when she got it as a teenager in the 1930s, but if the going rate for their high-level harps is any indication, my grandparents were far from poor. When she died in 1978, we sold it to the harpist for the Pittsburgh symphony orchestra.

I really dislike painting groups of people with broad brushes. That goes for their gender, their race, their ethnicity, their sexual orientation, their political stance, and where they live.

Old 01-31-2022, 09:14 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I'm reading this thread some time after it started, but I read mensaguy's response to that other thread, too - the one he closed due to "negative stereotypes."

My late mother was born in Wheeling in 1918, and I can't tell you how many jokes I've heard throughout my life, asking if she married her cousin or brother. It really rankles me.

My grandfather designed and built some of the most beautiful homes in Wheeling, including ones my mother and her two siblings grew up in. My mother was an amazing musician who studied voice and harp at Juilliard, studying under the most famous harpist of his generation, back in the 1940s. I'm not sure how much her Lyon and Healy gold leaf-plated harp cost when she got it as a teenager in the 1930s, but if the going rate for their high-level harps is any indication, my grandparents were far from poor. When she died in 1978, we sold it to the harpist for the Pittsburgh symphony orchestra.

I really dislike painting groups of people with broad brushes. That goes for their gender, their race, their ethnicity, their sexual orientation, their political stance, and where they live.
I have relatives in Wheeling back in early 1900s as well. Wheeling was a major city back then. Look at any old photos - crowded streets, bustling department stores, offices buildings, etc. It was a real boom town. Still a great city. And the architecture is second to none. Hopefully most of what is left is saved.

ps. Would love to know the addresses of any of these houses as I visit Wheeling often still. The Victoria Theater is one of the most amazing places ever. Still has monthly variety shows. Next Feb 11, Friday at 7:00 pm $10 for a 2 hour show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia