Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 04:22 PM

228 posts, read 161,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Yeah, they really help, but to each their own. I have changed my habits a good bit over the last few years too, try to stay on groomed trail more, stay off game trails, etc.

Really, it is Lyme you are trying to avoid, more than the ticks themselves.

https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/stats/maps.html
I'm afraid I want to avoid all ticks, not just Lyme
Arachnophobia. Eeek

Aside from Lyme (which is concentrated in the Northern part of the state, at least for now), anaplasmosis, babesiosis, powassian, etc, ticks can cause tick poisoning or tick paralysis (more rare). I had definitely met people who'd experienced tick poisoning: tick injects neurotoxin when it attaches and the person might experience pretty bad flu-like illness or even temporary paralysis or leg weakness.

I wonder if people usually start antibiotic soon after the bite or wait for first Lyme symptoms. I heard that even doctors have opposite opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 08:39 PM

32,846 posts, read 36,153,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcitizen10 View Post
I'm afraid I want to avoid all ticks, not just Lyme
Arachnophobia. Eeek

Aside from Lyme (which is concentrated in the Northern part of the state, at least for now), anaplasmosis, babesiosis, powassian, etc, ticks can cause tick poisoning or tick paralysis (more rare). I had definitely met people who'd experienced tick poisoning: tick injects neurotoxin when it attaches and the person might experience pretty bad flu-like illness or even temporary paralysis or leg weakness.

I wonder if people usually start antibiotic soon after the bite or wait for first Lyme symptoms. I heard that even doctors have opposite opinions.
When I had a suspected case of Lyme, I was given the antibiotics immediately. The site was infected - it looked like a miniature volcano - so I had contracted something. When my son had an embedded tick removed at our doctor's office, he was not given medication. We were told to watch for symptoms.

Old 04-05-2020, 09:44 PM

228 posts, read 161,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
When I had a suspected case of Lyme, I was given the antibiotics immediately. The site was infected - it looked like a miniature volcano - so I had contracted something. When my son had an embedded tick removed at our doctor's office, he was not given medication. We were told to watch for symptoms.
Apparently their guidelines change...I'd recently heard of someone having their doctor prescribe antibiotic because of mere fact of tick bite (in Lyme-prone area) and told need to take it within 48 hours (of bite or tick removal).

I looked up CDC guidelines and see they had changed the tune and are now saying do take antibiotic - prophylactic one-time dose - if bitten by a tick in Lyme area (if tick was attached for 36 hours....but if one squeezes the tick during removal it can have the same effect, really)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
View detailed profiles of: