U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 05:54 PM

52 posts, read 22,043 times

Advertisements

I can only judge by what I see. Sometimes no matter what a person does to be accommodating, not everyone will approve or agree or even like someone else.

No matter. Since then I have adopted the Grey Man philosophy.
Also, don’t mix with people who are always negative about history, and it’s relation to current events.
When I study historical events, I try to view them as if I’m a citizen of the time. Came in handy when locating historical sites, and understanding technological advancements when researching outcomes of human conflicts. Worked with a think tank in California for a while. Mostly exhilarating, but sometimes disturbing too. Way of the world.

So at my age, not interesting in arguing with anyone or changing anybody’s views. Now just doing my own research in soil acoustics and learning to play the harp.

To paraphrase Slartibartfast, I’d rather be happy than right. Peace out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2020, 05:09 PM

88 posts, read 51,786 times
That's anywhere you go Brother. No matter what job you take you will haft to deal with someone that makes a snap judgement about you. You keep working and show them they are wrong and if not you push it back.

Push it back by showing them it doesn't bother you. Or you could find out their weaknesses and make them cry.

I'm goin to buy a Home in west Virginia, I'm 39yo I was born in California lived in Ohio 9 years California and Japan for the rest.
I'm sure when I talk to people in WV they will probably mess with me.

Old 11-13-2020, 11:43 PM

170 posts, read 61,026 times
I went thru this in Texas as a kid when I visited family there. LOL I was told to say I was from Virginia.
When asked of my town I would tell them and not bat an eye. They would never look it up anyways. I could always mention the old Plantation a couple of miles from where I grew up. Then I was really in.

Any northerner who is going to travel in the southlands, may want to get a copy of Tony Horwitz book,
"Confederates in the Attic: dispatches from the unfinished civil war". (remember, in some quarters it's "the war of northern aggression", or "The war atwixt the states")

This book is not a put down of the south but an enlightenment for those who ain't from around there. America is a big place with loads of history and unless you've traveled across it from north to south and east to west would you begin to understand.

My guess as to your work situation difficulties was that since you wasn't "blood" and a northerner (even though you were born long after the war) the band of brothers felt the Foreman's job should be kept for
the homies. This same issue exist in the Rockies with resentment of easterner's taking their good jobs,
and on the Pacific coast with outsiders.

When I lived in North Carolina I was tipped by another transplant that there were three classes of people
there. Natives, Blacks, and Outsiders.

Tony Horwitz book will explain so much of this regarding the south.

Personally I love the south. There is this expression I will leave you with: In the south you can get close but don't get big....where in the north you can get big but don't get close. This is a view of socio-economics.

Old 11-14-2020, 09:38 AM

487 posts, read 349,688 times
Try being in high school and moving to Northern Virginia from West Virginia and later on going to college and working there for a while. You will get it from both sides. What I mean is you still have the old school VA blue blood types that hate WV and you then also have the arrogant NOVA transplants from the northeast who have all their stereotypes and opinions of WV too.

Fortunately I did not fit the mold of the stereotypes so I was able to blend in but I heard so much of the crap over and over from these people. Horrible people. The stuff I heard OMG. Sometimes I would be at a setting with a group and let it go on and on until finally I would chime in. Then it would be like "you're not like that" or "you don't look like one of them..." I imagine an era when black people had to deal with this. I felt like Eddie Murphy in white face from an old SNL skit. It's much the same. Appalachians are the safe it's cool now to be "racist" to group.

Even though it's not really a race you know what I mean. And I really think a lot of it comes down to trying to justify a miserable existence in that area by trying to put down another area to make you feel ok even though deep down you know your fake existence isn't ok. Good God what a hell on earth NOVA truly is. There's a lot of stuff there. And you can make a great living but when it comes down to it you aren't really living.

If I had to choose living on a hillside in a trailer and working at McDonald's I would take that over living in NOVA just to know that I'm alive. I don't live in NOVA anymore and I don't live in a trailer on a hillside but honestly I wouldn't think twice on my decision if that were my only two choices.

Old 11-14-2020, 10:40 AM

930 posts, read 1,406,682 times
The Southeast Conference voted not to allow the University of West Virginia to join their conference a few years back, so that's why they are in the Big 12. Whenever West Virginia plays an "away" game, the nearest Big 12 Conference rival is the University Kansas in Lawrence and it's over 800 miles from Morgantown by air and 900 miles by land. I think the furthest conference rival is Texas Tech in Lubbock. Morgantown is nearly 1500 miles ftom Lubbock. Undoubtedly, the University of West Virginia spends a fortune on plane tickets each year.

West Virginia University is financially better off in the Big 12 than either the SEC or the ACC. Both conferences turned them down when the Big East started unraveling. WVU took the best they could do and it has paid off financially even with the excess travel costs.

That said, I think it sometimes has a negative impact on our basketball teams when they have to play Monday night in Texas and fly home, go to class the next day, then get ready for a Saturday afternoon game.

Huggs will comment on coaches telling him how rough the trip was for his players and that always prompts him to let them know he sometimes makes multiple trip in ten days.

Not to pick nits but Ames, IA appears to be the closest Big 12 opponent over Kansas. That is what Tony Caridi always says on his broadcasts. Ames is a little under 900 on Google maps and Lawrence is at 900.

Geographically, we don't belong but the finance end cannot be forgotten completely, especially right now.

Old 12-15-2020, 04:54 PM

2,135 posts, read 1,539,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
Try being in high school and moving to Northern Virginia from West Virginia and later on going to college and working there for a while. You will get it from both sides. What I mean is you still have the old school VA blue blood types that hate WV and you then also have the arrogant NOVA transplants from the northeast who have all their stereotypes and opinions of WV too.

Fortunately I did not fit the mold of the stereotypes so I was able to blend in but I heard so much of the crap over and over from these people. Horrible people. The stuff I heard OMG. Sometimes I would be at a setting with a group and let it go on and on until finally I would chime in. Then it would be like "you're not like that" or "you don't look like one of them..." I imagine an era when black people had to deal with this. I felt like Eddie Murphy in white face from an old SNL skit. It's much the same. Appalachians are the safe it's cool now to be "racist" to group.

Even though it's not really a race you know what I mean. And I really think a lot of it comes down to trying to justify a miserable existence in that area by trying to put down another area to make you feel ok even though deep down you know your fake existence isn't ok. Good God what a hell on earth NOVA truly is. There's a lot of stuff there. And you can make a great living but when it comes down to it you aren't really living.

If I had to choose living on a hillside in a trailer and working at McDonald's I would take that over living in NOVA just to know that I'm alive. I don't live in NOVA anymore and I don't live in a trailer on a hillside but honestly I wouldn't think twice on my decision if that were my only two choices.
Is that really the NOVA perspective? I think it's a lot more nuanced. I've heard more Maryland/Baltimore insults in my time in NOVA than West Virginia or Appalachia.

I'm from Alexandria, VA, and most think of West Virginia positively. I've even had discussions with friends who would gladly take WV back (into Virginia) with open arms. There's an (admittedly paternalistic) view that if only West Virginia were part of Virginia, it could be governed properly. There's no hatred of WV. At worst, it's "disappointment" at what could have been.

That said, I think a lot of it has to do with how West Virginia is branded now. It used to be seen as the state of racist, homophobic conservatives, Bible-Thumpers and welfare queens. Now it's the state of Harpers Ferry and the Appalachian Conservancy, the New River Gorge (the most beautiful place I've visited in the U.S. personally), and "Almost Heaven" tourism billboards plastered throughout the Washington D.C. metro.

Case in point (2 million views!):

It's part of the same phenomenon of why small country towns like Staunton, VA, are now full of weekend tourists. There's a "mystique" about the green lush landscapes that one doesn't get in Fairfax or Arlington Counties. Garrett County, MD, has done a fantastic job at this. Nobody even knew what it was until a few years ago. Now it and the Upper Shenandoah Valley of Virginia are quickly displacing Chesapeake Bay as Cottage Country for upper middle class Washingtonians.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:07 PM

487 posts, read 349,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Is that really the NOVA perspective? I think it's a lot more nuanced. I've heard more Maryland/Baltimore insults in my time in NOVA than West Virginia or Appalachia.

I'm from Alexandria, VA, and most think of West Virginia positively. I've even had discussions with friends who would gladly take WV back (into Virginia) with open arms. There's an (admittedly paternalistic) view that if only West Virginia were part of Virginia, it could be governed properly. There's no hatred of WV. At worst, it's "disappointment" at what could have been.

That said, I think a lot of it has to do with how West Virginia is branded now. It used to be seen as the state of racist, homophobic conservatives, Bible-Thumpers and welfare queens. Now it's the state of Harpers Ferry and the Appalachian Conservancy, the New River Gorge (the most beautiful place I've visited in the U.S. personally), and "Almost Heaven" tourism billboards plastered throughout the Washington D.C. metro.

Case in point (2 million views!):

It's part of the same phenomenon of why small country towns like Staunton, VA, are now full of weekend tourists. There's a "mystique" about the green lush landscapes that one doesn't get in Fairfax or Arlington Counties. Garrett County, MD, has done a fantastic job at this. Nobody even knew what it was until a few years ago. Now it and the Upper Shenandoah Valley of Virginia are quickly displacing Chesapeake Bay as Cottage Country for upper middle class Washingtonians.

As someone who went to school and worked in Nova I never considered Arlington and Alexandria part of it. They were older places with unique identities even with the growth.

To me Nova is Fairfax, Tysons/Vienna, Herndon, Reston, McClean, even Falls Church. I think Fairfax is the worst of it all. Great money though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia