Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 08:52 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeno View Post
Never a family, but in its day places like Huntington and Wheeling had money and where there was money to be spent there was "activity". I'm sure boys from Steubenville, Pittsburgh and Youngstown had a few things going on, probably no made guys though.
I grew up in Wheeling during that era. As I said earlier, the Mafia did not operate there by arrangement with the locals. They did, however, cooperate with them. Gambling interests in Wheeling were controlled by Bill Lias. The liquor trade as well as dealing in stolen property tended to be handled by Lebanese folks, and prostitution was handled by the German-Irish. The Italian Americans in Wheeling were, in nearly every case, hard working factory workers although a few operated bars and restaurants, mostly in a perfectly legal fashion.

I would not be surprised if the local bookmakers had "laid off" some of the larger bets through mafia sources in Steubenville, Pittsburgh, and Youngstown but the Mafia did not have direct operations in Wheeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 11:58 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,872,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I grew up in Wheeling during that era. As I said earlier, the Mafia did not operate there by arrangement with the locals. They did, however, cooperate with them. Gambling interests in Wheeling were controlled by Bill Lias. The liquor trade as well as dealing in stolen property tended to be handled by Lebanese folks, and prostitution was handled by the German-Irish. The Italian Americans in Wheeling were, in nearly every case, hard working factory workers although a few operated bars and restaurants, mostly in a perfectly legal fashion.

I would not be surprised if the local bookmakers had "laid off" some of the larger bets through mafia sources in Steubenville, Pittsburgh, and Youngstown but the Mafia did not have direct operations in Wheeling.
I know there was Greek Mafia. I knew someone whose father was in it, and it was heavily suggested they were 'made' by proving their loyalty and commitment to the Mafia through a certain act.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:11 PM

43 posts, read 190,424 times
Default Mafia Areas.

I grew up around the Italian Mafia. This was in Scranton, PA Mafia Organized Businesses such as Cefalo. Amato & Marasco based in New York they run counties through mobile connections. The original "Five Families" are still around, just not the same. I was starting school when Mr. Gotti was thrown behind bars. Since John Gotti Jr. ******! Cosa Nostra ratted eachother out throughout New Jersey. Parkersburg, West Virginia has Italian Mafia. So does Fairmont leading back to northeast were I grew up.

Last edited by Cosa Nostra CO1821; 10-29-2012 at 04:15 PM..

Old 10-29-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I know there was Greek Mafia. I knew someone whose father was in it, and it was heavily suggested they were 'made' by proving their loyalty and commitment to the Mafia through a certain act.
Bill Lias was Greek, and he certainly did lots of illegal stuff, but he was not in the Maffia. I'm an old guy who grew up there, and I can tell you it was different in Wheeling than any place else. The Maffia stopped at the Brooke County line to the north in West Virginia, and the Belmont County line in Ohio. Everything else was local.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosa Nostra CO1821 View Post
I grew up around the Italian Mafia. This was in Scranton, PA Mafia Organized Businesses such as Cefalo. Amato & Marasco based in New York they run counties through mobile connections. The original "Five Families" are still around, just not the same. I was starting school when Mr. Gotti was thrown behind bars. Since John Gotti Jr. ******! Cosa Nostra ratted eachother out throughout New Jersey. Parkersburg, West Virginia has Italian Mafia. So does Fairmont leading back to northeast were I grew up.
That's entirely possible, but the Oliverios are not part of it. Neither are the Manchins.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
That's entirely possible, but the Oliverios are not part of it. Neither are the Manchins.
Neither of them are. There are a few that keep with POLITICS. That's why Marasco was thrown in jail for Obstructing Official Business. He torched a Budget Lodge Motel; the law was too late that night. He should have been in jail for a felony. Morgantown is too close to Pennsylvania; but they still have their fair local share. Oliverios have a ristorante. Joe Manchin is a senator.

Last edited by Cosa Nostra CO1821; 10-31-2012 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: Not enough information

Old 10-31-2012, 04:30 PM

Default Mafia Areas

Hope Michael Cefalo is ok up there in West Pittston, PA with Superstorm Sandy.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:27 PM

2 posts, read 10,608 times
those were the days'............Yes, growing up in an era where the family ran most of everything in the Wheeling area, was a paradise for those who liked night life. There was an endless list of "things" for entertainment. I remember the first time that I met Paul Hankish, I was with Martie, a friend and he worked for Paul at the race track in the Odds room. We were at the Bella Via and when Martie told Paul that my grandfather was from Lebanon, he said he had heard of him. After that meeting, he always introduced me to other people he was with, one of his companions was guy they called "Big Rudy" he never had much to say. Paul offered me a job a the track working in the odds room with Martie, but I told him it was too far to drive every evening. At the time, I did not know what the big picture was.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:04 PM

Lightbulb Cosa Nostra "Era"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdul Thomas View Post
those were the days'............Yes, growing up in an era where the family ran most of everything in the Wheeling area, was a paradise for those who liked night life. There was an endless list of "things" for entertainment. I remember the first time that I met Paul Hankish, I was with Martie, a friend and he worked for Paul at the race track in the Odds room. We were at the Bella Via and when Martie told Paul that my grandfather was from Lebanon, he said he had heard of him. After that meeting, he always introduced me to other people he was with, one of his companions was guy they called "Big Rudy" he never had much to say. Paul offered me a job a the track working in the odds room with Martie, but I told him it was too far to drive every evening. At the time, I did not know what the big picture was.
Scott Marasco a made member; as well as Gerald, Paul, and Anthony. The original five are Colombo-protected, Gambino-sounds like a farting bean family. Genovese and Bonanno-has not a known boss, and the Lucchese family is mostly laying low/jailed. Garnett Rocchi is not a made member. Scott has committed arson as well as hacking, held territory, murder, destruction of property, drug dealing for some time. Scott is known by women who play a major role in the mafia. Scott currently helps deal family errands. An area span from Pittsburgh, PA running into Parkersburg, WV with mobile connections. Risk getting your ass kicked in the process. The mafia is still alive this "Era". Showing the spans The American Mafia - Crime Bosses also check out Mafia Today.

Last edited by Cosa Nostra CO1821; 12-12-2012 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: missing subject

Old 12-13-2012, 10:12 AM

2 posts, read 10,608 times
when some people hear me say those were the good ol' days, they might think of me as a member of or supporter of the families that ran Wheeling, WV. But, the facts are, at that time you could walk from one bar to another with out getting mugged, robbed, offered drugs to buys from slime balls on the streets. If they were around back then they I wouldn't even walk across it today at mid-night, not even with a gun! Wheeling was a safer place then, mucher safer. To the people who deny there was any organized crime in Wheeling back at that time, they are only fooling themselves. Some people will point out that Wheeling is better off today, but take a good look, Wheeling is a dying town in the rust bucket era and no it is not better off. The Hanish crowd was not perfect, but they ran a better Wheeling, for sure...............................good bye to Paul and Chris and may they rest is peace

Abdul Thomas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia