Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 02:41 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times

Advertisements

Wish I had that information earlier last year...that Fairmont Walmart was built with about 50 strange, non-english speaking fellows who would show up at dark and work until morning...I'm laughing...a friend told me the other day that Morgantown is full of those same guys and they are being used on those public works jobs too...I'll bet they're under a Grant Program of some sort...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 01:19 PM

102 posts, read 350,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianbluesboy View Post
Yes, my nonna said they used to march through the coal camp of Pemberton, WV with their sheets over them. One guy was real short and everyone knew who he was, even with the sheet. Nonna's family were Italian Catholics, and they closed the door and drew the blinds during the marches. This is only a few miles from Crab Orchard, WV, where the good Senator was known to attend Klan ramentiollies. But these West Virginia Klansmen probably just made a fuss, and nothing much seems to have came of it. So I don't think WV has the stain on its reputation like Mississippi. MS and AL have more of a history of savage brutality than WV does.
You should be careful about how you say something like that. That is the kind of thing that seems to derail these threads. Here is a link to the map of which hate groups are where, from the Southern Poverty Law Center.
http://www.splcenter.org/intel/map/hate.jsp
Why don't you look at your own state and not worry about what's going on with the KKK in MS or AL, okay? Not to be rude, but I'm sure people in MS and AL feel like you are making a stereotype of them and they are tired of this kind of thing.

Last edited by crayfish; 09-11-2008 at 01:52 PM..

Old 01-17-2009, 02:00 PM

113 posts, read 424,903 times
I know you asked for KKK stories in WV, but I thought I would give you mine from Akron, Ohio. I'm 26 & my great grandma died in 1996 at the age of 92. I never knew my great grandpa. When my great grandma died, we all had to go to her house & clean out the attic. We found framed pictures of clan members & meetings & newspaper clippings. I had never heard about it before. Apparently, my great grandpa worked either Firestone or Goodyear... I can't remember which one.... but my grandma said that to work there, you also had to go to the clan meetings. My grandma said that her mom (my great grandma) would get so mad about him going & every time he would bring home another framed picture, she would shove it up in the attic in hopes that none of her friends would ever find out. So when my great grandma died, my grandma didn't know what to do with the pictures either, & now they sit in her attic. We found the story quite fascinating.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:09 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milspec View Post
Anyone that wants to preserve the white race and our European heritage, there isna more conservative group that's not full of hate, just good opinions. it's MODERATOR REMOVED.

Try it, you'll like it.
That's in Illinois and keep it there. We don't want that in West Virginia.

Please stop with the ugly, racist, and inflamatory posts you have been making on the WV forum. You don't even live in WV and those of us who do are embarrassed and outraged by your posts.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 01-17-2009 at 11:58 PM..

Old 01-17-2009, 02:10 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livebyoptimism View Post
I know you asked for KKK stories in WV, but I thought I would give you mine from Akron, Ohio. I'm 26 & my great grandma died in 1996 at the age of 92. I never knew my great grandpa. When my great grandma died, we all had to go to her house & clean out the attic. We found framed pictures of clan members & meetings & newspaper clippings. I had never heard about it before. Apparently, my great grandpa worked either Firestone or Goodyear... I can't remember which one.... but my grandma said that to work there, you also had to go to the clan meetings. My grandma said that her mom (my great grandma) would get so mad about him going & every time he would bring home another framed picture, she would shove it up in the attic in hopes that none of her friends would ever find out. So when my great grandma died, my grandma didn't know what to do with the pictures either, & now they sit in her attic. We found the story quite fascinating.
That is something. What will you do with the pictures when you inherit them?

Old 01-17-2009, 04:22 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
With that thought....I hope you preserve those photo's and keep them for others. True History is that important.

In our time of political correctness, everything is swept under the rug...Hitler with that with the Jews...the arabs do that to us.. If it does not exist in material, it can be disposed in thought...sound familiar? Like the media of our day...a propaganda machine stoked by others.

Look what has been done to American Slavery...painted with a present day opinion and not even understood. It was a mirror of England...What England did to her own...and the Arabs...black...didn't they harvest the slaves for the Portugese, Dutch and the English...

I don't have time to move this further...but remember this...'The victor writes the history with the shades of gray he wants...Countries do that..

Old 01-18-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
That is something. What will you do with the pictures when you inherit them?
Well, my mom has 4 brothers & she's the youngest, so I don't know if she'll get them or not. But if she did, I'm sure they'd sit in her attic & I guess if I got them I probably have them sitting in my attic too. Ha ha

Old 01-18-2009, 12:53 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,077 times
It's very easy to copy photos these days. I suggest whoever gets them makes copies for everyone, and mark them with identities when known. This generation might not appreciate it, but the following ones might. It was lucky that I went through my grandmothers photos with her before she died, there are only one or two I can't identify.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:33 PM

We have photos like that as well. They were my great grandma's & we know who most of the people are, but there are just some people who my grandma & her sister just can't identify. They did take many months to put them all in books, and use the acid free pens to write names in the books to preserve what they do have.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:13 PM

421 posts, read 1,565,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybilly View Post
"In it's day, it was an essential element of social life to be a member. I would think that for the job of keeping the local citizenry in-line as DK mentioned, it wouldn't be too bad. If you look back at the debate we had on drugs in WV, wouldn't something similar be useful in combating the unsavory element that comes with the drug culture? Sort of like the local Big Brother."

The above comment by HB reminds me that, in today's world, there are many places where street gangs fill this role. Instead of combatting the unsavory element, they promote it and profit from it. It's not readily apparent to those of us living in suburbia, but the fact is, it's spreading like wildfire. Our mainstream culture is saturated with the influences. Middle class suburban white kids, packin' heat and talkin' street. Remember when a barbed wire tattoo meant you did prison time? Now high school girls have them. That says a lot about what America really is, as opposed to what I like to romanticise that it is.
Very well put, citybilly. I think that the same types of individuals who were in the Klan then are now these types who dress like Gangster Rappers, walk around with an ugly, cold scowl on their face like they hate the world, and listen to their pejorative soaked filth music with the pounding, menacing bass beat slamming their car speakers apart.

I would suspect that some of the young men we now see posturing as white gangster thugs may have had Grandfathers who were Klansmen. They are the same flunkies who don't succeed in school, and never find a positive niche.

I hate to say it, but the sad thing these days about the white gangster thugs is that many of them take a false and inaccurate pride in being non-bigoted individuals, because they are modeling a subculture that originated in the black underclasses. They fail to realize that, by glorifying a violent subculture that has made life unnecessarily hard for good, decent poor black people just trying to live an honest life, they are showing every decent black person the utmost in disrespect. Good black people have no more use for these gangster thugs with their guns and drugs than those of us in rural America. I don't think decent people of any race or creed want to deal with violent "thugs" who bully us as we try to live honestly.

Hopefully, parents in small town America will wake up and start doing something about their children becoming gangster thugs. Even if the kids are just wannabe gangsters, there is still no benefit in their glorifying a culture based on drugs and violence. Towns need to enact strict noise ordinances so that these young delinquents can be fined whenever they disturb the peace with their pounding bass beat and offensive lyrics.

Are small towns in WVA currently having the severe problems with gangster rap culture of small towns elsewere? In Northern Ohio, a disturbingly huge chunk of teens and twentysomethings are into this horrible behavior. Are there any WVA towns that are appropriately cracking down on the gangster rap culture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia