U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 01:40 AM

5 posts, read 7,974 times

Advertisements

My family is seriously considering making a move to beautiful West Virginia. We haven't pinpointed what part yet, and that's why I decided to post something here.*

I'm hoping for people to be 100% blunt and honest, even if it what you have to say is negative. My first question is can a true outsider ever be accepted , and embraced by people who live in very rural West Virginia? We don't have family there, or friends. We're God loving, blue collar, conservative Trump & law enforcement supporting folks from a state where all that is highly frowned upon...California (hey you can't help where you're born haha)

Looking to find a place with like minded people.

Real estate agents over there tell us to be careful of the rural areas, because we will never be accepted. I read the same thing on these forums. But is it true? And if so what does that mean, to us? Will we be targets for crimes, will our kids be bullied, will our neighbors help us if we breakdown on the side of the road, will they accept help from us?*

This is a HUGE life decision for us, and we don't want to be treated like red headed step children by our new community LOL.We stay to ourselves mostly, but we say hey, smile , and frankly would be offended if our neighbors don't. Let's say at Christmas if you're my neighbor and I bring you cookies, would that be weird? Would it be the only time of the year we acknowledge each other?

We're looking to buy a home on 20+acres in a rural area , and with lots of other small communities or larger city within an hour radius or so. My husband is a master plumber,* who owns a large company out here, and will be reestablishing out there. We like mountain properties, but are open to any recommendations. Even if it's, just stay away.

Thanks for any feedback, good, bad or ugly
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 07:41 AM

561 posts, read 526,246 times
No that's not true at all. You'll be fine

Old 09-22-2020, 07:54 AM

5,200 posts, read 4,865,983 times
My expreience is it depends on your state of mind mostly. COming from w/ coast to WV is awkward. My sis in Clai doesn't like it. She thinks it is too hickish or older bldgs not vibrant, less to do, etc.

I lived out west & back east 1st 40 yrs of my life, & I'd say I really don't like Cali & AZ much but WV is kind of claustrophobic suddenly now to me after out west almost 20yrs. This is sad to me as I thought I'd enjoy it again here. Times change & ppl do too. Thus a quandary. I think it is -- if YOU can accept the ppl, things, pace, etc & depends on where?

Near Morgatown is more cosmo like a Pitt suburb w/ WVU as a college town--went to post-bacc there & loved it over 25yrs ago. Charleston more rundown. S. WV has no jobs other than tourism really. You're not coming to be a miner, thus I'm sure it is cheaper than Cali (my sis lives in S. Diego County, a dump to me & moneypit) & if you afford Cali you will stretch $ here.

Ok, that is my take as of 3 mos. back in WV. Dunno how long we'll stay but prolly not much longer sad to say as I thought it'd work as an older person. It has not yet worked for me but it may for you. Just being honest re how it is for me. I hope you find better results.

Old 09-22-2020, 08:06 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,013,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobnjoanie View Post
My family is seriously considering making a move to beautiful West Virginia. We haven't pinpointed what part yet, and that's why I decided to post something here.*

I'm hoping for people to be 100% blunt and honest, even if it what you have to say is negative. My first question is can a true outsider ever be accepted , and embraced by people who live in very rural West Virginia? We don't have family there, or friends. We're God loving, blue collar, conservative Trump & law enforcement supporting folks from a state where all that is highly frowned upon...California (hey you can't help where you're born haha)

Real estate agents over there tell us to be careful of the rural areas, because we will never be accepted. I read the same thing on these forums. But is it true? And if so what does that mean, to us? Will we be targets for crimes, will our kids be bullied, will our neighbors help us if we breakdown on the side of the road, will they accept help from us?*

This is a HUGE life decision for us, and we don't want to be treated like red headed step children by our new community LOL.We stay to ourselves mostly, but we say hey, smile , and frankly would be offended if our neighbors don't. Let's say at Christmas if you're my neighbor and I bring you cookies, would that be weird? Would it be the only time of the year we acknowledge each other?

We're looking to buy a home on 20+acres in a rural area , and with lots of other small communities or larger city within an hour radius or so. My husband is a master plumber,* who owns a large company out here, and will be reestablishing out there. We like mountain properties, but are open to any recommendations. Even if it's, just stay away.

You will fit in and be accepted just fine.

Old 09-22-2020, 08:46 AM

5,597 posts, read 8,918,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobnjoanie View Post

My best advice is "don't talk smack about the locals or the community." This is really important. The most important part of fitting in a rural area is accepting the community and the people for who they are. If you go around being critical of the housing stock, school system, way people dress, talk etc., you will find yourself on the outside very quickly. Make a quip about a co-worker, store teller, etc. and you will soon find out it is the younger sister of the person's best friend's cousin (or some such.)

Location also matters. I would choose a place, like Morgantown or the Eastern Panhandle where there are more transplants. You probably will experience cultural shock and being in a place where there are more people in a similar situation will be helpful. If you move to a place that is too rural and doesn't have any in-migration, it is hard to break your way into existing social groups. People have existing friend and family networks that go back decades and it can be harder to integrate yourself into this.

The biggest variable is "do you like it there?" If the answer is yes, that will shine through and people will see that you want to part of their community. I assume you have visited? Do you have any parts of the state in mind?

Old 09-22-2020, 09:48 AM

89 posts, read 158,937 times
Suggest you read all the posts in the last 2 or 3 years about WV locations and then personal message posters that know about places you might be interested in. Please do your homework first. You may want their advice about realtors that will understand what you want. Are you in a position to rent for a year or two?

Agree strongly with the first and last paragraphs of Westsideboy's advice, but not about Morgantown and the Eastern Panhandle. Given what you say you want, they are wrong for you. 20 acres in either place will be more expensive too

Many of the small towns are dying and will welcome friendly newcomers.

Old 09-22-2020, 12:07 PM

5,597 posts, read 8,918,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillsAndTrees View Post
Suggest you read all the posts in the last 2 or 3 years about WV locations and then personal message posters that know about places you might be interested in. Please do your homework first. You may want their advice about realtors that will understand what you want. Are you in a position to rent for a year or two?

Agree strongly with the first and last paragraphs of Westsideboy's advice, but not about Morgantown and the Eastern Panhandle. Given what you say you want, they are wrong for you. 20 acres in either place will be more expensive too

Many of the small towns are dying and will welcome friendly newcomers.
Those are good points, especially about renting before investing in a large land purchase. My feeling is that the areas I mentioned were "Appalachia Lite" and a place that will have a bit less cultural shock to start out.

That's generally my advice to anyone who wants to try out Appalachia, pick a spot with a bit of growth and/or a city (such as they are) first to see if you like it. If you fit in well in those places, then branch out into the deeper and more remote parts of the region.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:08 PM

5,200 posts, read 4,865,983 times
All good advice guys to her! But, my worry is the trite cliche': ALL that glitters is not gold!

Back in the day, pre-2000s WV for sure WAS 'ALMOST Heaven', like John Denver's song. I grewup in PA & went to college there in PA & then WVU. I loved WVU & Morgantown -- in the early 90s or so. But then somehow after moving to AZ out west, tho I didn't like it there either vs WV that I knew back then! -- the coming back has thrown me back into culture shock. Aka can't readjust?

Dunno if all the, older than I retirees in AZ, talked me out of back east or what. Now my perception is skewed here in WV? Also my 1oyr younger sis grewup in PA for 18yrs only, then the AF took her allover US & then she retired a Capt in S. Diego. Thus she too, cannot ever, she says -- l'go back east as it is not for her'. Plus her career & now 2 kids, live there in Cali too.

So all depends again on so much. Your mindset is 1st. Then all other things factor in. $ is a big deal, as in Cali you can make tons but cost of liv is high. Here cost of liv is lower -- but so is any pay. It is a wash. Unless you really hate Cali, or rather the dry out west climate w/ powdery snow -- not wet, heavy heart attack snow back here east coast, I'd think about the inland Pac NW -- if I had the $ to move there & buy a nice property, All just IMHO & FWIW.

Old 09-23-2020, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,931 times
Just my 2 cents.... I have only been here in Rural Fayette County for 23 days. My town has less than 400 people. The folks have been very nice, introduced themselves to us and are friendly. Our next door neighbor makes a point to talk to my hubby every Saturday when they are mowing the lawns. The old guy that runs the feed store has helped us out several times now. We have been given fruits and vegetables and a lawn mower. We are not Sunday morning Church people, but the local Pastor stopped by and invited us to dinner, and the men's Social and walks past the house frequently and says hello. We bought an old stone house that needs repair and several people have expressed their concern over us staying warm this winter. We do not tell everyone everything we hear and we HEAR a lot. Everyone is related to everyone here. I will go on to say that it's mostly been the men approaching my husband and bringing kids to meet ours. The women have been more withdrawn. Maybe they are waiting to see if we last through the winter, LOL. This house was a rental house with frequent tenants over the past 9 years before we bought it.

I love it here so far, I feel like I am finally home. I have lived in California 3 times, Arizona, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Indiana, Texas, and North Carolina (Where I am from), This is the best.

Old 09-27-2020, 12:21 PM

117 posts, read 117,127 times
Any outsiders are welcome as long as they aren't the destructive, violent, rioting, type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia