U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 02:22 PM

5,597 posts, read 8,918,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellic View Post
Lol. To be blunt, no one outside of Morgantown gives a **** about WVU Medicine. I guess surrounding areas that have no access to easily accessible hospitals might too but it's silly to paint that place as something it's not. Especially anyone that lives in the north, they just go to the hospitals there or Pittsburgh since any of those places are 20 minutes or less away.
WVU's healthcare reaches as far east as Cumberland in MD, about 70 miles away. Our local hospital refers patients there, and many choose Ruby Memorial as their hospital of choice for elective procedures, oncology, etc. It has a good reputation around here. I rate it as a much better than our local hospital.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2020, 10:35 AM

170 posts, read 61,026 times
I grew up in WV and have lived around elsewhere. WV has a lot going for it if you can afford it. But the colonial economy especially in the coal field regions sees all of the money going out of state. Governor Marlin
was on tract to put a Tax on the coal that was shipped out of the state. Had that happened WV could be one of the wealthiest states east of the Mississippi. But, big money interest in the North prevented anything like that from happening. It's an extractive economy here both coal and economic wealth.

If you are well set with a pension it could be a good place to retire, but shop the state closely for safe water, clean air, and all the other things that make life safe, comfortable, and convenient. If you are a child and have someone who can afford to raise you properly in a better than disadvantaged area it could be great.

The people here are by and large good level headed people with good work ethics if they have work. I wish the same could be said for so many of the politicians who are only here to do the bidding of their northern coal bosses while lining their pockets at the tax paying citizens expense.

West Virginia has this slogan: "Almost Heaven" and to the residence an under their breath utterance..."and damn near Hell"

Old 11-08-2020, 01:10 PM

487 posts, read 349,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel City Joe View Post
I grew up in WV and have lived around elsewhere. WV has a lot going for it if you can afford it. But the colonial economy especially in the coal field regions sees all of the money going out of state. Governor Marlin
was on tract to put a Tax on the coal that was shipped out of the state. Had that happened WV could be one of the wealthiest states east of the Mississippi. But, big money interest in the North prevented anything like that from happening. It's an extractive economy here both coal and economic wealth.

If you are well set with a pension it could be a good place to retire, but shop the state closely for safe water, clean air, and all the other things that make life safe, comfortable, and convenient. If you are a child and have someone who can afford to raise you properly in a better than disadvantaged area it could be great.

The people here are by and large good level headed people with good work ethics if they have work. I wish the same could be said for so many of the politicians who are only here to do the bidding of their northern coal bosses while lining their pockets at the tax paying citizens expense.

West Virginia has this slogan: "Almost Heaven" and to the residence an under their breath utterance..."and damn near Hell"

I agree with what you are saying but you know this is why they created WV in the first place. This isn't some back to Virginia crap or anything like that. There's just no denying what happened to the resources in WV after the war. The money sure didn't go to the people living here. Economic colonization like something you see on a third world level.

Old 11-08-2020, 03:23 PM

68 posts, read 31,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
WVU's healthcare reaches as far east as Cumberland in MD, about 70 miles away. Our local hospital refers patients there, and many choose Ruby Memorial as their hospital of choice for elective procedures, oncology, etc. It has a good reputation around here. I rate it as a much better than our local hospital.
Everything I see and read indicates that it is a well run, first rate operation.

Old 11-08-2020, 03:28 PM

68 posts, read 31,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellic View Post
Lol. To be blunt, no one outside of Morgantown gives a **** about WVU Medicine. I guess surrounding areas that have no access to easily accessible hospitals might too but it's silly to paint that place as something it's not. Especially anyone that lives in the north, they just go to the hospitals there or Pittsburgh since any of those places are 20 minutes or less away.
That's not what I'm reading and seeing. They have 20,000 employees and are growing quickly, with more than a dozen academic specialty programs for physicians, and first rate, modern facilities. They are well regarded nationally. That's one of the reasons our daughter is strongly considering going to school there, along with the very strong research profile. The region is also strong, with UPMC a little to the north, but it would seem WVU Medicine is very competitive in it's area. The leadership there seems to be excellent.

Old 11-14-2020, 08:15 PM

128 posts, read 102,440 times
The major problems in WV are twofold. As an outsider who has been interested in the state, I've studied WV in my free time and obviously, it usually ranks last in basically every category (education, health, property values, drugs, job opportunities, etc). It is even the only state that has actually lost population from 2010 to now.

Problem 1 is the politics. I've studied the political climate of nearly every state in the country and I have concluded that West Virginia has the absolute most corrupt politicians (governor, senators, reps, and state legislature) out of any state. Yes, political corruption is a common thing (special interest money in politics mostly) but WV is simply the worst. And the reason why is simple: Coal. The politicians are completely bought off by the coal lobby (a dying industry, even), to the point where they literally serve no function but to keep the coal millionaires happy, always doing their bidding. This goes for both Dems (Manchin) and Republicans (Justice, Capito, Miller, etc). They don't even pretend to care about the issues WVians face because they are too bought off by the coal industry to care. They support a complete deregulation of industry, even if every mountaintop in the state is removed and everyones drinking water is polluted. Hence, that is why WV has the least diverse economy out of any state (literally all the jobs are coal), as well as the reason why the infrastructure sucks, schools are beyond underfunded, and why WV has the highest percentage of people outside of the labor force. West Virginians had their chance in 2020 with Paula Swearengin, a progressive Democrat who vowed not to take any corporate/superPAC money, supports the Green New Deal (renewable energy jobs coming to WV) legalization and research into cannabis, healthcare for all, etc, but she lost. Against Capito one of the most corrupt senators whos only actual policy was "I'll keep the coal mines open" no less. Its a shame that many WVians voted against their class interest. The only way the WV economy can diversify to other sectors and get off coal is if the citizenry stops electing blatantly corrupt leaders who will take money from whoever gives it to them.

Problem 2 is the people/culture. West Virginia is without a doubt the most hillbilly redneck white-trash state in the entire country. I don't really care who I offend saying this. And obviously not every West Virginian is a hillbilly, redneck, or white trash, and the state is home to some truly great people. But the culture amongst many people in the state is what keeps them in poverty. Unlike in other parts of the nation, in WV, there's no shame in dropping out of high school, having your first kid out of wedlock at 18, smoking meth daily and popping pills like candy, getting drunk on cheap Pabst or moonshine, raising a huge family in a decrepit double-wide trailer, living off a $900 monthly SSI check not even attempting to look for a job, never going to the dentist even once and losing most of your teeth, drinking only mountain dew when you're not having alcohol, getting a rebel flag tattoo on your shoulder for everyone to see (yet WV was a union state, how ironic), making a baby with your first cousin, hating minorities, gays, atheists, immigrants, and even outsiders of the state by default, not even knowing how to do basic arithmetic or grammar skills, etc. You see what I'm getting at. The culture amongst many WVians is one that does not promote success or financial stability and takes pride in being a redneck. Yes, a decrease in the number of coal jobs is obviously a main cause of poverty in the state, but that only goes so far. The inter-generational redneck way of life is what really keeps them in poverty with no way out in sight. Yet unlike African Americans and Native Americans, these people never experienced centuries systemic racism that stripped them of any generational wealth or opportunity. These people aren't "victims". It's honestly sad that in most WV counties, only 10-15% of the population has a bachelor's degree or higher (lowest rates in the state) and as much as 30-40% of the people lack a high school degree or GED. This is what's known as a "brain drain". Aside from the politicians being bought off by the coal industry, another reason for the lack of economic diversity in the state is simply because much of the states population has virtually zero education or skills to do most jobs. No wonder why you don't see factories, warehouses, corporate headquarters, office parks, and other big business coming to WV, despite the state's low tax rate compared to others. This is also the reason why WV is stuck with the same old corrupt politicians. Too many WVians don't take part in the political process and don't know much about politics other than "Republican= good" or "Immigrants= bad" or "Green energy= taking my job away". I really do think that public schools in WV should do a better job encouraging kids to pursue college, not do drugs/alcohol, not have a kid until at least 25, and even tell them not to be rednecks.

So yeah, want to fix WV? The answer is simple. Get rid of the corrupt, bought-out politicians and move away from the redneck way of life. Implement universal healthcare so that WVians can finally get their health and dental needs treated, as well as rehab services for the tweakers and drunks, invest far more money into public schools, legalize cannabis, give subsidies to renewable energy jobs (wind, solar, and nuclear)/implement a Green New Deal, implement tuition-free public college (or at least community college, if making all the public colleges free is too expensive), give more power to workers unions, get big money out of politics completely (by banning it), etc. If there's anywhere in the US that needs a progressive agenda the most, it's West by God Virginia.

Last edited by Kieran Keating; 11-14-2020 at 08:26 PM..

Old 11-15-2020, 09:03 AM

2,030 posts, read 1,008,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Keating View Post
The major problems in WV are twofold. As an outsider who has been interested in the state, I've studied WV in my free time and obviously, it usually ranks last in basically every category (education, health, property values, drugs, job opportunities, etc). It is even the only state that has actually lost population from 2010 to now.
Except for Connecticut, Vermont and Illinois.

Old 11-15-2020, 09:22 AM

1,027 posts, read 337,117 times
what about North and South Dakota,now that fracking is no longer profitable?
There is a post on AMZN marketplace from some org in Dakota asking for food,clothes,hefty bags,clothspin for the Native American families,they ask you not to send anything which require drycleaning as there is no drycleaner around nor can they afford it,hefty bags are most welcome,detergent,soap,paper towels,toilet papers are most welcome,so are canned goods and dry goods.
What about some parts of Kentucky?
COAL miners are able to work,if someone starts a new industry or company,they can learn and adapt,our government is pushing more manufacturing jobs,they can make parts,components for EV cars,machinese,trucks etc,even aerospace.

Old 11-15-2020, 09:24 AM

1,027 posts, read 337,117 times
Alibama is next to Mississippi,it has aerospace industries and they need workers.

Old 11-15-2020, 05:28 PM

1,918 posts, read 4,336,064 times
There are jobs. You need to be able to pass a drug test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia