Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 05:12 PM

23 posts, read 37,668 times

Advertisements

Hello.
My husband and I are seriously considering retiring to a mountainous region in WV. We want to buy a few acres and build a home. I'd like a small town fairly close by ( 1/2 hour ) for essential shopping, and would prefer it to have a charming historic district/downtown area. Some nice non-chain restaurants would be lovely. A much bigger town a couple of hours away is important for occasional days out and treats etc.

We drove to WV recently to look at some properties in Harman, Caldwell, and Mathias. Closest towns of any size are Moorefield, Elkins, and Lewisburg. We were able to spend a little time in Lewisburg, but not the others due to time constraints. I liked Lewisburg a lot. It has a lovely downtown area with a number of unique restaurants, shops, and attractions. On the other hand, I prefer one of the properties we saw closer to Elkins. However, over time, the neighbouring town is probably of greater importance.

I'm hoping for some advice and information to help with a decision.
Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 07:11 PM

456 posts, read 602,139 times
I live in Elkins so if you any specific questions I can probably answer them. Elkins has a few decent restaurants and it's only real shopping is Walmart, Krogers, and Big Lots. Most housing is a little older but you can find some buys but always get inspections. You are a hour from Clarksburg with better shopping and a hour and a half to Morgantown. You may want to look at Buckhannon also which is 30 minutes west from Elkins. Elkins is the only town of any size actually in the mountains. Lewisburg is one of my favorite towns in the state along with Shepherdstown in the eastern panhandle. That is a decent drive to the mountains. I would look at Bridgeport which is next to Clarksburg. Newer housing and a nice little suburb with decent dining and a small mall. It's within a hour to a hour and a half from great outdoor activities but also only 40 minutes from Morgantown and a hour and 40 minutes to Pittsburgh. Moorefield is a little smaller but a short drive into Winchester Virginia. I know nothing about the hospitals in the eastern panhandle. Elkins and Buckhannon both have small decent hospitals. Bridgeport has United Hospital which is a newer large hospital expanding run by WVU. In Bridgeport you would also be within 40 minutes of two good hospitals in Morgantown. Most these areas have health net for emergencies that will transport by air for emergencies.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
I live in Elkins so if you any specific questions I can probably answer them. Elkins has a few decent restaurants and it's only real shopping is Walmart, Krogers, and Big Lots. Most housing is a little older but you can find some buys but always get inspections. You are a hour from Clarksburg with better shopping and a hour and a half to Morgantown. You may want to look at Buckhannon also which is 30 minutes west from Elkins. Elkins is the only town of any size actually in the mountains. Lewisburg is one of my favorite towns in the state along with Shepherdstown in the eastern panhandle. That is a decent drive to the mountains. I would look at Bridgeport which is next to Clarksburg. Newer housing and a nice little suburb with decent dining and a small mall. It's within a hour to a hour and a half from great outdoor activities but also only 40 minutes from Morgantown and a hour and 40 minutes to Pittsburgh. Moorefield is a little smaller but a short drive into Winchester Virginia. I know nothing about the hospitals in the eastern panhandle. Elkins and Buckhannon both have small decent hospitals. Bridgeport has United Hospital which is a newer large hospital expanding run by WVU. In Bridgeport you would also be within 40 minutes of two good hospitals in Morgantown. Most these areas have health net for emergencies that will transport by air for emergencies.
Thanks so much for your reply. The main reason we chose these areas was because of the elevation. I want to be above 2000' to escape the kind of stifling heat and humidity I can't tolerate anymore after 20 years in Virginia. I'll have to look into those other towns you've mentioned.
Also, we plan to buy some land and build a home, so houses aren't an issue.

One question ... does Elkins have a historic district of any kind? Somewhere with charm to walk around, eat, and shop?
Thank you again for the information. Insight from someone who lives in the area is most useful.

Old 10-12-2020, 11:51 PM

There is the Weese historical district but it is mainly homes near the courthouse. Downtown has a historical district that encompases 65 buildings some interesting shops downtown and the historical Tygart hotel is supposed to be being refurbished. The downtown has the historical Delmonte Hotel which is near the railroad station that is now the visitors center and where you can catch rides on the very popular train rides. There are outdoor concerts and even the ramp festival in the spring each year.Halliehurst and Graceland Mansions on the campus of Davis & Elkins college is a must see. Restaurants in downtown are CJ Maggies, Beanders, Momma Mias, Tip Top Coffee, El Gran Sabor, 1863 Bistro and Vintage to name a few. Numerous historical churches are downtown. When staying in Elkins I recommend the Isaac Jackson a newer hotel across from Davis Medical Center which is the site of what used to be the historic 1863 Hotel. Land in the countryside is hard to come by in that area as most is kept in families and some areas of the county especially the southern part and eastern parts near Harman have poor internet and cell phone service. There are a couple historic towns in the county Bevely 6 miles south of Elkins with a few buildings you can tour. The town of Helvetia is a nice day trip in the southern part of the county with a unique swiss village with a authentic restaurant called the Hutte. Because of Covid it is closed the rest of this year but it serves homestyle swiss dining and it's worth the trip. Near Elkins towards Harman are three good restaurants. The Alpine Lodge,The Forks and Smoke on the Water. You are close to beautiful Canaan Valley which has a nice lodge in neighboring Tucker County. Black Water Falls is a must see and the small towns of Davis and Thomas have some unique shops and restaurants. There are two ski resorts in Tucker county and Snowshoe Ski Resort is about a hour south of Elkins in beautiful Pocahontas county. Neighboring Pendleton county has Beautiful Seneca Rocks which is a great but challenging hike. Senica and Smoke Hole Caverns are unique to visit. I would suggest property within ten miles of Elkins for convenance. Elkins is among the snowiest areas in the state and even 6 miles east of town in the winter conditions can be drastically worse in the winter. Valley Bend and Dailey in Randolph County in the Tygart Valley region has some flat land and houses in these small towns were built by President Roosevelt in the 30's and 40's and most still stand. The area is called the homestead and the old grade school is now a historical community center. The homes were built on 1 to 2 acres in sturdy almost barn looking homes. Most were built with garages,a small orchard and a garage and were designed to make families self seificent after the depression. Almost all convenances are located in or near Elkins. Good luck with your home search. Sorry I tend to rant .

Old 10-13-2020, 04:16 AM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Dear hiltonbrit,

I saw your other thread about Virginia and just wanted to speak to the issue of state income taxes.

Running my numbers, I would pay higher income taxes in West Virginia than I would in Virginia.

Here is the state tax calculator I used for a shotgun estimate of taxation. It does not include sales tax or property tax, but it does cover income tax for wages, pensions, 401k, and Social Security. You just click the state you are interested in on the map, and it will go to a page where you can fill in the fields for your income sources. It will show a list and pie chart of your federal and state income taxes.

https://smartasset.com/retirement/retirement-taxes

Old 10-13-2020, 09:32 AM

D T WV MOUNTAINS,
Thanks so much for your detailed reply. Your thorough knowledge of that general area is extremely helpful. I remember some of the names you mention from our drive. It does sound as if Elkins has what we need.
I enjoyed your "rant".

Old 10-13-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Dear hiltonbrit,

I saw your other thread about Virginia and just wanted to speak to the issue of state income taxes.

Running my numbers, I would pay higher income taxes in West Virginia than I would in Virginia.

Here is the state tax calculator I used for a shotgun estimate of taxation. It does not include sales tax or property tax, but it does cover income tax for wages, pensions, 401k, and Social Security. You just click the state you are interested in on the map, and it will go to a page where you can fill in the fields for your income sources. It will show a list and pie chart of your federal and state income taxes.

https://smartasset.com/retirement/retirement-taxes
This is useful and I'll have to show my husband. He is under the impression that his pension ( SS and army) would be taxed at a higher amount in VA.
Thank you. You

Old 10-13-2020, 01:44 PM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiltonbrit View Post
This is useful and I'll have to show my husband. He is under the impression that his pension ( SS and army) would be taxed at a higher amount in VA.
Thank you. You
Income tax on Social Security Retirement benefits is being phased out in WV. I'm not sure about the details.

Old 10-13-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Income tax on Social Security Retirement benefits is being phased out in WV. I'm not sure about the details.
We'll look into it. Thank you.

Old 10-13-2020, 06:59 PM

I think this year 35% of your social security is taxed and starting next year the rate is zero
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia