U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2020, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,985 times

Advertisements

My husband is looking to relocate to a new plant based in Washington, WV. The nearest city is Parkersburg and I am wondering if it is a good area for a young family. We have a 3 year old and are looking for an area that has some potential to stay vibrant but still a bit rural and has decent schools and other young professional families. Any insight on areas around Washington, either on the Ohio or West Virginia side would be great. Maybe even insight as to where the other plant workers choose to live in the area! Thanks in advance for any insight!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2020, 09:03 AM

99 posts, read 93,353 times
Parkersburg or Marietta are in my opinion your best options. Both places have good schools and offer a small city atmosphere that would allow you to have a rural feel.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:33 PM

930 posts, read 1,406,916 times
I think about all the developments close to the plant will have a rural feel to it. Workers will come from both sides of the Ohio River and you will find a mix of workers in the area.

If you want more rural, look at 68 south as it gets more rural as good down 68 toward Ravenswood.

Old 10-29-2020, 11:27 AM

280 posts, read 417,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prew78 View Post
My husband is looking to relocate to a new plant based in Washington, WV. The nearest city is Parkersburg and I am wondering if it is a good area for a young family. We have a 3 year old and are looking for an area that has some potential to stay vibrant but still a bit rural and has decent schools and other young professional families. Any insight on areas around Washington, either on the Ohio or West Virginia side would be great. Maybe even insight as to where the other plant workers choose to live in the area! Thanks in advance for any insight!
I live fairly close to Chemours (lucky me). There are several nice neighborhoods within 4 miles of the plant, in what is known as Washington Bottom and Blennerhasset Heights. The biggest downside however of living on this side town (basically west of Parkersburg) is that all of the shopping areas are either north or southeast of Parkersburg. So you may be 8-15 miles away from Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, and grocery stores depending on which neighborhood. One of the more convenient and definitely the nicest neighborhood in the vicinity is Westwood, a subdivision which is only a couple miles from downtown and about 4 miles from the plant.

Old 11-13-2020, 11:18 PM

170 posts, read 61,476 times
I've lived in both WV and Ohio most of my life now. Parkersburg & Marietta aren't bad areas. Fortunately you have an arc of large cities to the west in Louisville, KY Cincinnati, Ohio Columbus, Ohio and to the north east Pittsburgh, Pa. To the south east a short distance is WV capital Charleston. So week end (long week end) get aways could have much to offer kid and adults. But for the home life that area you are considering would be safe and sound.

As for Ohio the south east quadrant of the state seems largely forgotten. It had traditionally been a rural
farming region with plants dotted around in it. From Parkersburg north both states seem to be more prosperous.

I've known so many West Virginia who locate just across the Ohio river in Ohio for the cost of living and taxes being less.

Depending on what part of Texas you are from, there are parts of Texas that I've seen that would look
much like this area. Dad was from Texas and I've seen a lot of that state too.

Old 11-14-2020, 01:09 PM

1,762 posts, read 1,654,866 times
That's not a bad area, but it's not a great area either.

Old 11-16-2020, 01:17 PM

6,450 posts, read 7,761,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel City Joe View Post

I've known so many West Virginia who locate just across the Ohio river in Ohio for the cost of living and taxes being less.

I always thought WV had lower costs and lower taxes?

Old 11-17-2020, 05:10 AM

170 posts, read 61,476 times
Having grown up in WV I heard it called "The Land of Taxes" most of my life. I now live across the Ohio
River in Ohio in what is often called a "Bedroom Community". (meaning where people retire from work in WV
and go to sleep in their home in Ohio)

Ohio's counties are subdivided into what are called Townships. Often these bedroom communities drive up the taxes and cost of living of the Township areas to where it approaches being similar to WV. So the trick, if you will, is to move on out into the next Township where the taxes may be less. Of course you may have less services. You may not have the big trash removal trucks from the City but if you are an advocate for privatization there are businesses that pick up for a monthly fee. The county Sheriff & State Police may be your local law enforcement in those areas. Otherwise it is dusk to dawn lighting and large dogs for night time security. But again, if you move to these more urban/rural areas it was to save money
or afford to live on your present income. (until you can do better)

For comparisons you can go to Google and type in the name of a City, Town etc "and" Citi-Data com and it will give you a lot of data about those places you may be looking at moving into. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia