Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 04:47 PM

537 posts, read 958,931 times

Advertisements

Sounds pretty cool!

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-v...7oz2rpOVQQRr98
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 08:51 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,815 times
Pretty interesting for sure. I didn’t see this coming

Old 10-10-2020, 10:09 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,492,578 times
I hope they have good clawback provisions in the incentives they're doling out.

Old 10-10-2020, 03:40 PM

75 posts, read 75,301 times
From what I'm reading, the developer is a billionaire, and he has a highly successful John Chambers and the West Virginia University research apparatus of hundreds of millions per year behind him. I suspect the bills will be paid.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:58 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,492,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diddlesquat View Post
From what I'm reading, the developer is a billionaire, and he has a highly successful John Chambers and the West Virginia University research apparatus of hundreds of millions per year behind him. I suspect the bills will be paid.
It’s not about ‘bills being paid’, but meeting employment and investment benchmarks that hopefully the state included in the incentives given. Hyperloop tech is still kind of vapor ware and definitely not a sure thing.

Old 10-11-2020, 03:25 PM

6,080 posts, read 9,110,796 times
This is exciting! I'm optimistic, but I wouldn't count my cards just yet.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:04 AM

632 posts, read 832,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diddlesquat View Post
Yes, Richard Branson, is a very famous entrepreneur. And no he doesn't need WVU or John Chambers for this, but any collaboration that WVU can have is obviously beneficial for WVU

Old 10-12-2020, 08:24 PM

75 posts, read 75,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
Yes, Richard Branson, is a very famous entrepreneur. And no he doesn't need WVU or John Chambers for this, but any collaboration that WVU can have is obviously beneficial for WVU
I'm an outsider, but I have to believe being in relative proximity to a major research university is a definite plus for the organization. There were dozens of competitors for this project. What other reason than Chambers, WVU, and their stated initiative of bringing onboard a national consortium of universities in their research endeavor, would they have for selecting this site? From what I'm reading, WVU even intends to have community colleges participate in areas where they can benefit. There would definitely be technician level opportunities in something like this too.

Old 10-21-2020, 04:04 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
I just read the article from Fox Business and watched the video

Absolutely incredible. The project is set to create over 13,000 new jobs in Morgantown and potentially be the beginning of an entirely new industry and tech age in the state. WV beat out 17 different states for the project. For all the things I've ever criticized Richard Branson for, he was very generous to do this and work with the governor to make this happen.

Old 10-21-2020, 10:14 AM

85 posts, read 83,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I just read the article from Fox Business and watched the video

Absolutely incredible. The project is set to create over 13,000 new jobs in Morgantown and potentially be the beginning of an entirely new industry and tech age in the state. WV beat out 17 different states for the project. For all the things I've ever criticized Richard Branson for, he was very generous to do this and work with the governor to make this happen.
You do realize they are bringing this project there solely for testing purposes, right? Every article I've read about this they stress WV is just their drawing board state. I highly doubt they'll actually put up a station in WV once this thing is worked out properly, at least not any time soon. Also, it's a little misleading as they have been doing things with this in Nevada as well, WV is only site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia