Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 02:40 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times

Advertisements

Elkins is actually in a very good position geographically. It will be the bottom anchor of the Potomac Valley Expansion...much like Staunton or Roanoke...and it is on the edge of the peanut region.
Lots of money seen in Elkins and I don't discount it's importance...and all that rich valley farm land to the west of town.
With the money profit now in grain and grass, I expect it to hold back the developers for another generation or so. There's enough commercial near the Walmart to last for a great while...

The last time I was in Thomas, I made the circle and have to say that Elkins IS coming on very strong...
Buy some land for your old age...while you can get it cheap...and get it at all.

If Jennings was still the Senator...all of this federal money would have had its center in Elkins instead of Morgantown. Rocky had the opportunity to do this and wasted it.
Don't think he is that smart of a guy..Sorry.
It took a very old man to kick WV in the pants...it took 'Big Daddy' I'll miss him greatly when he's gone...His life has been a shining ray of hope for our people. Warts and all...still lives in that little house...and I feel his pain. How difficult it must be to do the daily tasks...
Remember these days, GHO, when you see the person coming to replace him...you will begin to realize what horrid polar extremes exist in the political world.

Last edited by David Kennedy; 05-05-2008 at 02:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 04:36 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Elkins is actually in a very good position geographically. It will be the bottom anchor of the Potomac Valley Expansion...much like Staunton or Roanoke...and it is on the edge of the peanut region.
Lots of money seen in Elkins and I don't discount it's importance...and all that rich valley farm land to the west of town.
With the money profit now in grain and grass, I expect it to hold back the developers for another generation or so. There's enough commercial near the Walmart to last for a great while...

The last time I was in Thomas, I made the circle and have to say that Elkins IS coming on very strong...
Buy some land for your old age...while you can get it cheap...and get it at all.

If Jennings was still the Senator...all of this federal money would have had its center in Elkins instead of Morgantown. Rocky had the opportunity to do this and wasted it.
Don't think he is that smart of a guy..Sorry.
It took a very old man to kick WV in the pants...it took 'Big Daddy' I'll miss him greatly when he's gone...His life has been a shining ray of hope for our people. Warts and all...still lives in that little house...and I feel his pain. How difficult it must be to do the daily tasks...
Remember these days, GHO, when you see the person coming to replace him...you will begin to realize what horrid polar extremes exist in the political world.
I've always wondered why Jennings Randolph was so big in Elkins.. I mean one of our 4 elementary schools is called Jennings Randolph, I went there from grades 2-5 actaully, and our federal building is named after him

Jennings Randolph Federal Building

What gives?

Old 05-07-2008, 04:48 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
He was head of the Department of Journalism and Public Speaking at Davis & Elkins (1926-32). In 1932 he was elected to Congress, representing whatever district Elkins is in.

So he's a "home town boy", even though he was born and reared and educated in Salem.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:59 PM

He personified kindness, and gentility...lost in our time. He had the doors of his offices removed because they served the public. Thread bare suits, certainly not Armani...ha ha...everyone was a friend and that was the truth...one of our best...from a very old family...before the Revolution...

Old 05-07-2008, 05:04 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIborn View Post
I've been scouting the forums, looking for a retirement destination, somewhere between the Northeast and Southeast. PA, NC, TN, VA, even OH and KY seem popular, but WV is off the radar. Why so unpopular? Jobs? Crime? Politicians? No major city? People who do move there seem to locate near the border, presumably to be able to cross over to another state to get things done.

To me it seems ideal. Mountains. Off the beaten path. Quiet.

What gives?
Shhhhh......there is a reason for this

Old 05-07-2008, 05:16 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
Shhhhh......there is a reason for this
"eat chiken" (says the cow on the billboard)

Old 05-08-2008, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
"eat chiken" (says the cow on the billboard)
ha ha ha ha ha cute

Old 05-08-2008, 09:30 AM

Savor this lady's humor GHO...you will only meet someone this savy of wit once or twice in a lifetime...enjoy...AH! the salad days!!!

Old 05-08-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Savor this lady's humor GHO...you will only meet someone this savy of wit once or twice in a lifetime...enjoy...AH! the salad days!!!
Seems like just yesterday when we first told her about the beauty of WV and sold her on a move here

Old 05-09-2008, 08:05 AM

Once you 'git the dirt in the blood...it stays there...and she's a bonifide flatlander...New York...ha ha ha...look at who they lost and we found...this is the NEW West Virginia...It belongs to everyone...think about staying here for your career...plane tickets are available to any destination...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia