U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2020, 02:26 AM

2 posts, read 1,106 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving to the eastern panhandle. Would like to build a cabin/small house on a couple acres or buy a pre-1880s home/ log home and completely restore it.

Could a local Jefferson County resident tell me some ins and outs of the area? Especially your opinion of this area versus NoVA or Va in general?

How is crime, how are the police, the people, schools? What plans is Jefferson County going towards? Are they trying to keep it agricultural/tourist/DC Suburbia or are they trying to weaken zoning laws and build industry/factories like Berkeley County? I already know about Rockwool, but really looking at future plans. Is there another area I should consider not in JCo?

I drove around the other day, saw a beautiful apple orchard, loved Harpers Ferry and Shepherdstown. I'm big into history. Plan on buying within two months.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 01:37 AM

528 posts, read 836,757 times
I don't have any facts/numbers to give you, just my general impressions.

Police are fine, crime is low/normal, people are reserved but friendly enough.
Schools are decent, but probably not as good as in NoVa.
Definitely way slower-paced than NoVa.

Not much special going on as far as restaurants/shopping, def. more of a small-town feel. Some good restaurants, don't get me wrong, but not nearly enough of them, too much blah chain crap.

I think it's a great area to raise young kids. Fresh air, parks, sports activities, rec centers, quiet living.

I think they're generally trying to keep it modest & touristy (e.g., Harpers Ferry history, beautiful scenery, old Shepherdstown), but yeah, Rockwool... hopefully just an outlier. Certainly caused a big outcry, so I'd hope they don't try that kind of thing again.

Last edited by spunkydawg; 12-10-2020 at 01:38 AM.. Reason: paragraph spacing

Old 12-14-2020, 09:51 AM

142 posts, read 106,315 times
We moved to Jefferson Cty in October. We chose Jefferson as opposed to Berkeley because Jefferson has more strict building codes. That may be opposite to your goals.

We chose WV as opposed to other States because WV does not tax our federal retirement.

Old 12-15-2020, 05:01 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,559,643 times
Most people in your position base their choice between WV and VA simply on politics, since the two states have such divergent cultures now (marijuana will soon be legal in Virginia, for example). Liberals will settle in Western Loudoun County and Winchester, Conservatives in the Eastern Panhandle.

Old 12-18-2020, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 1,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Most people in your position base their choice between WV and VA simply on politics, since the two states have such divergent cultures now (marijuana will soon be legal in Virginia, for example). Liberals will settle in Western Loudoun County and Winchester, Conservatives in the Eastern Panhandle.
I won't base it on politics. I live in Loudoun now and Jefferson is pretty similar politically. Loudoun usually goes blue due to Sterling and South Riding though. As long as my rights are protected, I'm okay. Jefferson County just feels safer as opposed to where I live now. Lots of mental issues in Loudoun and it's getting over populated. Western Loudoun is nice but it's losing the charm quick with all the development going on. Loudoun has way more to do but its only a couple minute drive if I still want those amenities. I'm actually closer to the wineries/breweries that most of Loudoun folks are.

BTW bought a historical home in Charles Town Can't wait to get started next year with the remodel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia