Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2009, 01:58 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,511,546 times

Advertisements

americanwife,
Does your husband happen to know the square footage of the Hagerstown store? When it opened, I thought I heard 15,000 but that can't be right; This one will be 30,000, so would that make ours bigger? Anyway, if he knows please let me know. -mmccul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 02:11 PM

The official grand opening date of The Commons is now July 26. -mmccul

Old 02-07-2009, 05:24 PM

Update:

They have put up the "Monument Sign" at the entrance to The Commons. This will include all of the main anchors' logos, it looks very nice. They also have put up a tall "Pylon Sign" with the Target logo. Last but definitely not least, shops C & D (refer to site plan) are starting to be built. Again, things are looking up. -mmccul

Old 02-16-2009, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,524 times
The Commons will be a great boost to Berkeley County, I hope that they stay in the County and don't make the mistake of anexing in the City of Martinsburg. I hope that all development on the South side of Apple Harvest stay in the County. and the posting is correct, The Commons is under full steam ahead, The Martnsburg Mall should go ahead and sell or lease to one of the universities , they have done nothing to increase traffic, or retain stores. To the Commons, keep striving foward and good luck

Old 02-17-2009, 01:08 PM

323 posts, read 835,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
WV is such a beautiful state, and I think it is quite sad to see you folks so excited about sprawly, big box, low scale chain retail.
I agree. Big Box seems to always win over Beauty. It just destroys the charm of communities.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:15 PM

323 posts, read 835,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Berkeley County has already swrawled and not smartly either.
In 20 years the county has grown from 25k to 100k.
Still, no zoning.

Their heel is the tax issue too. With Maryland and Virginia right next door, many folks travel there so they don't have to pay the sales tax. This was the death nail for Chatfield Taylor and his Outlet Malls, which are now in Maryland, the Martinsburg Mall, which seems to go downhill daily. Hagerstown and Winchester offer more with less sales tax, and I hope the same does not bode for Spring Mills.
I travel the majority of the state monthly and most of WV does not consider Berkeley and Jefferson County WV anymore, just an extension of Washington DC.
It seems to be the same story in many areas. Sprawl and growth just leads to higher taxes and the end to nice communities. In another 5 years, people will be moving out and complaining because of all the new big city problems (crime, taxes, infrastructure, bad schools, etc.).

Old 02-18-2009, 01:43 PM

I am having trouble wrapping my mind around this "University" idea for the land where the Martinsburg Mall is now sitting. I think it would look a little out of place: "Oh look, Outback, Buffalo Wild Wings, Martin's, Hampton Inn, Regal Cinemas...Shepherd University!?!"
On the other hand, I guess I would rather see that than the dead carcus of the Martinsburg Mall rotting into the asphalt. -mmccul

Old 02-18-2009, 02:25 PM

385 posts, read 1,920,858 times
It wouldn't be too different than the Anne Arundel Community College campus at Arundel Mills.

Arundel Mills - Home

Old 02-18-2009, 02:32 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Direction View Post
It wouldn't be too different than the Anne Arundel Community College campus at Arundel Mills.

Arundel Mills - Home
Yeah but the mall is there (I can't stand that mall [too much walking]). I think the rumor about Martinsburg mall is that the mall itself is going out. Also, Arundel College also has space in Glen Burnie where you can take classes as well.

supposedly, WalMart is leaving Martinsburg mall in a year or so, they are suppose to be relocating it to Inwood.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:02 PM

240 posts, read 831,607 times
I heard the rumors too, but I seriously doubt that Walmart will ever leave that part of Martinsburg. Reason being there is a subdivision directly behind that Wal-Mart with nearly 20,000 residents, called the City of Martinsburg. With that many people so close and within walking distinance, it just doesnt make sense to leave from a business perspective. I could see Walmart relocating to the Delmar Orchard Rd. area after the Mall lease expires, but I dont see them leaving Martinsburg.

I look for the county to have 3 Walmarts in the future: Inwood, Martinsburg, Spring Mills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia