Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 11:31 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,287,237 times

Advertisements

If I can get a ticket tomorrow I'm going to the Hooten-nanny down in Fairmont...I want to see if they are serving hot dogs like Senator Rocky did...now, where's that moderate mustard?

Old 05-11-2008, 12:26 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,748,322 times
I'm noticing WV sure has affection for hot dogs. Partial to the spicy brown mustard, with a 1/2 slab of stewed onions and 1/2 slab of kraut myself. Naked dogs are unseemly.

In the news (somewhere) yestorday, was the DONKEY DERBY, where a church sponsored the race on a fine sunny day, and folks bet cans of food. All proceeds went to a charitable pantry. It got me to thinking about this presidential horserace in WV...

Old 05-11-2008, 12:36 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,221,956 times
Have you had a West Virginia Hot Dog yet?

Naturally, it's got its own web site, complete with reviews from around the state.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Have you had a West Virginia Hot Dog yet?

Naturally, it's got its own web site, complete with reviews from around the state.
Oh yes, I've had a generic dog or two here. I had to ask them- please- no sweet relish. I stretched myself by allowing the slaw 'on the side'. It was quite tasty, actually. No kraut could be found, which I found odd.

Word is the 5 star dawg is in huntington, which I know I'll eventually get to visit. I don't wish to disparage a dog, but my preferences are inextricably linked to my native lands, whose influence will never be completely extinguished.

Snappy nathans or sabretts, spicy german/polish mustard (yellow mustard is looked upon as sophmoric by 9 yr olds, ketchup as infantile), hot condiments, brooklyns coney island or the smokey street carts of manhattan jostling for a good corner... that's the city version.

The 'country' version out east on long island was the same snappy dog and spicy mustard. Add the scent of coppertone. Add a wash tub of ice with long necks. Add a bonfire clam & potato bake, and a sweet corn boil all served buffet style on surf boards on the beach. Dessert was cracker jacks, campfire mallows or salt water taffy. Hillbillies go 4 wheeling in the hills, but we went out on the dune buggies before beach errosion and piping plovers became endangered. Before every beach became an incorporated village entity and exercised exclusivity. Before they had 20 pages of restrictions. Before long island became completely suburban/urban, it was humbly rural. Before they called it kitch, made plastic replicas, and sold it to tourists. No one will ever have the dawgs I had there again. Call it the DODO dawg.

This WV blog category should have a way to save all the informative links like your dawg link for wayfaring bloggers happening by. Maybe have the perpetual top line blog thread reserved just for that- wouldn't that be nice? I think I'll suggest it to city-data and see how it flies.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:21 PM

4,946 posts, read 8,913,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Word is the 5 star dawg is in huntington, which I know I'll eventually get to visit.
Just mark your calendar now for July 26th. You can come to the Hot Dog festival and try out all of the different hot dog stands that are well know in Huntington, all in one place. You'll find out why Huntington is known as the hot dog capital of the state. My favorite hot dog is from Stewart's but Frostop, Sam's, and Bowinkles are good as well. For Root Beer, you need to try a frosted mug from Frost Top. Typically I don't even like root beer but I love a glass of the stuff from here. They put vanilla and some other flavors in it that make it so good. Might have to have some later, talking abou this is making me hungry.

Sticking with the title of the thread, it seems the Clinton's were in Huntington for Mother's Day today. Here are some links.

West Virginia Hot Dog Festival of Huntington, WV
Clinton attends Mother's Day service in Huntington - Huntington, WV -- The Herald-Dispatch

Old 05-11-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Just mark your calendar now for July 26th. You can come to the Hot Dog festival and try out all of the different hot dog stands that are well know in Huntington, all in one place. You'll find out why Huntington is known as the hot dog capital of the state. My favorite hot dog is from Stewart's but Frostop, Sam's, and Bowinkles are good as well. For Root Beer, you need to try a frosted mug from Frost Top. Typically I don't even like root beer but I love a glass of the stuff from here. They put vanilla and some other flavors in it that make it so good. Might have to have some later, talking about this is making me hungry.

Sticking with the title of the thread, it seems the Clinton's were in Huntington for Mother's Day today. Here are some links.

West Virginia Hot Dog Festival of Huntington, WV
Clinton attends Mother's Day service in Huntington - Huntington, WV -- The Herald-Dispatch
My preference for cream soda is rivaled by the penn/dutch birch beer which I can't get anywhere else but PA. Sasparilla has more character than ordinary root beer, but I think I've got to try your version. Hopefully I'll give myself a vacation from projects and make it over to your festival. I tend to live in my head too much, and poking my head outside is good medicine.
As the best fan of huntington, you might want to give your festival some +++ PR through the cable channel food network. A traveling show called diners drive ins and dives, orientated toward americana comfort food, gets national exposure. Email guy fieri with your bragging rights. Worth a shot.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_dv

Old 05-11-2008, 04:01 PM

Stewart's is a great creme soda...but I was hooked on their ginger beer...Can't find it any where...think I'll call the factory...they carry sasspirila, rootbeer and the rest...that first sip of ginger beer would make your eyes crunch..just like horseradish does...wow!

Old 05-11-2008, 04:07 PM

ginger beer sounds like the perfect compliment to my sacred spicy mustard dawg, which has that horseradish zing. side order of salt n vinegar chips might be over the top though.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:27 PM

Seeing it online at popsoda.com....this was real Amish Ginger Beer Soda...like the aussie stuff. will check further...want to find a little hole in the wall store to drive too...It's an ambiance thing...good luck on the hotdawgs...

Old 05-11-2008, 08:01 PM

4,946 posts, read 8,913,097 times
Diners, Drive-ins and Dives was actually in Huntington not too long ago to do two separate shows, one on Hill-Billy Hot Dogs and one on Rocco's. The Hill-Billy hotdog show aired last month but you might be able to catch a repeat. Here's a link from youtube of that portion of the show.

YouTube - Diners, Drive-ins and Dives - Hillbilly Hot Dogs
This was filmed at the one on Rt. 2 but there is one downtown as well. I forgot to put them on my list earlier. Great hot dogs in a good atmosphere. Guy Fieri actually mentions that his dad was born in WV too which I thought was neat.

You all mention birch and ginger beer, there's a little mom and pop store in Huntington that still sells the stuff. It's called Julian's Markets and it has a lot of great stuff there. It's tucked away on 12th St 2 blocks from Ritter Park. Cool place for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia