Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 09:55 PM

85 posts, read 82,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacIlleathain001 View Post
My wife and I are from SE Louisiana. She was born here, I'm from Western PA. She hates the nine-month-long summers with 90+ degrees. So, we're moving north. Not to PA due to the outrageous property taxes, not to MD because of the steep income taxes at all levels.

No, we've been looking all over West Virginia. Started up in Weirton, moved on to Wheeling. Not much there. Morgantown is has a much higher cost of living than we'd prefer. Then, we checked out Clarksburg, Beckley, and Huntington.

Originally, I avoided considering Elkins. Yes, it does have a YMCA and a Walmart, but it doesn't have an ALDI or a Sam's (both 50 miles away).

Funny thing, though, as I watched various YouTube videos about Elkins, I noted two things. No mention of outrageous rates of violent crime that we've been warned about, and two, the town is smack dab in the midst of the Alleghenies. We orginally sought to move to Frostburg for the biking trails, the train depot, and the mountains. Having grown up in the Alleghenies, mountains don't appeal to me, but a happy wife means a happy life.

So questions, are the videos about trains and music (even Cajun/Creole, by gum).... and general lifestyle on the west side of the mountain range..... is this all or even partially true? If so, seems as if Elkins was the place we'd intended to move all along.

What's the prevailing opinion of the residents of Randolph County? Should we move on and choose Cabell County, or is Elkins the Little Bit of Heaven we hear WV is?

Thanks
How does Weirton not "have much there" lol. 30 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh and 20 minutes away from multiple townships (including the airport) which cover any and all shopping or specialty services you might need. Weirton itself has your basics as far as shopping but anything else can be had from Moon, Robinson, Beaver, etc. City is safe, housing is affordable, you're right in the Pittsburgh metro there but because it's WV you reap the low-cost benefits.

Not a fan of Morgantown but a lot of people love it there too but it's a no for you too so I fail to see exactly what you're looking for since you're passing on the only two cities I'd consider if I wanted to live in WV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 06:51 AM

632 posts, read 830,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellic View Post
How does Weirton not "have much there" lol. 30 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh and 20 minutes away from multiple townships (including the airport) which cover any and all shopping or specialty services you might need. Weirton itself has your basics as far as shopping but anything else can be had from Moon, Robinson, Beaver, etc. City is safe, housing is affordable, you're right in the Pittsburgh metro there but because it's WV you reap the low-cost benefits.

Not a fan of Morgantown but a lot of people love it there too but it's a no for you too so I fail to see exactly what you're looking for since you're passing on the only two cities I'd consider if I wanted to live in WV.
You are aware that people have different opinions in what appeals to them, right?

For instance, I wouldn't live in Weirton if you paid me. I also love Morgantown but would never live there permanently.

Old 03-01-2021, 08:56 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,129 times
Elkins is a great town - close to mountains, outdoor activity and enough to keep one occupied. You will have to get used to having less on the grocery front- Kroger and Wal-Mart will be the big ones. Healthcare- there's a hospital in Elkins so you're fine but if you needed something highly specialized then I imagine you would be sent off to United Healthcare in Clarksburg or WVU in Morgantown which are about an hour to 90 mins away. I can't imagine Elkins having a violent crime rate but I'll leave it to others to comment. What are your thoughts on winter weather? Elkins gets a ton of snow so be prepared for that.

Huntington has more options in terms of stores, healthcare, restaurants etc. There is an art museum there and the presence of a university gives it more on the cultural front- that's not to say you won't find culture in Elkins, it's a great town (and does have a college), Huntington is just much larger. Winters are considerably less harsh and summers will be hotter but again coming from Louisiana you will likely find them pleasant.

I guess it comes down to what you really want in a retirement place- Elkins feels more rustic, WV, Appalachian where Huntington will feel a bit more midwestern due to proximity to Ohio, etc. Don't get me wrong it's still West Virginia but just different vibe.

Weirton- it has proximity to Pittsburgh but as probably the only person from WV who finds that city incredibly overrated, I don't consider that a huge added bonus. Again that is just my opinion.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 03-01-2021 at 09:21 AM..

Old 03-01-2021, 09:46 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,395,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellic View Post

I live outside of Weirton (ugh I hate saying it that way) in the far northern (that’s as bit better) part of the county. I can say you are painting a rosy picture of Weirton. 90% of what you mention is in another state. It’s like saying the nice thing about Alabama is it’s next to Florida.

There is a Kroger and Walmart. Steubenville has a better Kroger’s and Walmart. So you go right through Weirton even if you live on this side and go to Ohio. Things are cheaper over there. You could go to PA but make sure your tank is full, don’t buy beer there, most goods cost more. Beaver is a long ass ways away.

If you want to go into Pittsburgh proper one time through the tunnels the wrong time of day would end that charade. The airport is more like 40 minutes away. 30 minutes if you take the new toll road. These figures are always exaggerated to the down side. If there is an event at Key Pavilion you could be sitting a long time on the way home. Just minutes away from the airport as realtors say...

The best place to eat in Weirton is a ‘Greek’ place that has lots of pizza and burgers on it’s menu. Tudor’s was mentioned in a thread of must eat at places before.

You can’t get an Uber to take you to Pittsburgh so forget about going out for a drink or nightlife on that side. The only reason to live in Weirton is if you are employed in PA. Otherwise there are much more charming places to live for just as cheap.

Everytime I drive into Weirton from the north on highway 2 I see that huge industrial mess that is like going into an apocalyptic Mad Max world. I think to myself why in the hell would anybody live here, if they didn’t have to?

I tried liking Weirton but man it is really hard to do. Covid isn’t helping matters. Don’t mean to be a downer on Weirton but you weren’t actually talking about Weirton you are talking about Moon.

Old 03-04-2021, 01:45 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,690,742 times
Looking within The Quiet Zone.

Old 03-08-2021, 09:30 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,609,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
What made you discount Frostburg, if you don't mind me asking? Just the taxes? I can vouch that there is an Aldi's nearby, there are multiple good hike/bike trails, but the scenic RR isn't running right now, and will need a serious injection of cash to do so again.
Why not move to WV by the MD border?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia