Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 05:17 PM

7 posts, read 19,801 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any input as to the schools, neighborhoods and shopping for Charles Town and Harpers Ferry areas? Was looking at Leesburg, but the taxes are almost comparable to CA! Does anyone have any commuting averages or if staying in VA would be more practical. It appears that we can get more land and house for the money just over the border in WV, but is the commute to Ashburn/Sterling area not worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 05:32 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
There's still room for you if you hurry. MARC train riders are up 51% this quarter...may begin to show a profit on the EP Run. One lady said she was saving almost $500 per month on parking and gasoline. That was in last weeks Gazette (Germantown, Boyds & Poolesville)

If you are like most americans..all the money will be spent at the end of the day...several bloggers have lived in that area and know it intimately...last time I rode the train it was $15 and took about 2 hrs to get into DC. those other comments should be forthcoming...What the advice usually boils down to is this. Move to Wv to take advantage of the living and the living costs...if a job can be done electronically or partially by electronic means arrange that...a commute 2 times a week is better than every day. find out who is crpooling into your job area...ask them about the community where they live. It takes a plan to make it work...several do that effectively...you will hear from them..

Old 05-08-2008, 06:31 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,978 times
Unfortunately you will have to drive to Ashburn as the MARC train only goes through MD and into DC. The drive at peak rush from Charles Town will probably be around 1.5 hours, maybe a little longer on the way home. Traffic is bery bad going from WV into Northern VA and MD...I would suggest looking into Huntfield right outside Charles Town. It is a masterplanned community that will eventually contain over 3,000 homes, retail area, parks, and a new high school on the spot.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneeratheart View Post
Unfortunately you will have to drive to Ashburn as the MARC train only goes through MD and into DC. The drive at peak rush from Charles Town will probably be around 1.5 hours, maybe a little longer on the way home. Traffic is bery bad going from WV into Northern VA and MD...I would suggest looking into Huntfield right outside Charles Town. It is a masterplanned community that will eventually contain over 3,000 homes, retail area, parks, and a new high school on the spot.
I plan on working 2nd shift hours, so the traffic might be lighter in the evening going towards VA. I live in planned community now and hate hearing my neighbors sneeze from inside my house! I would like to find a home with at least .5 acre. My kids right now aren't school age, but I want to live in the best school district I can find in that area for future attendance. I haven't decided if the tax breaks and cost of living expenses are really "that" much cheaper in WV to make the longer commute worthwhile. Any information will be appreciated as I am really at a loss right now where to move to. Also, if there are any areas NOT to move to would be nice as well.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:17 PM

Hmm several developments in and around Shepherdstown in Jefferson County offer homes on larger lot sizes, that might be the place to look. Great school district as well...

Old 05-08-2008, 07:19 PM

19,762 posts, read 22,666,896 times
On off hours I could make it from Inwood to Leesburg in under an hour. It's closer from Charles Town or Harpers Ferry.

As far as schools go, Charles Town/HF have darned good schools. Heck, my kids went to Valley View elementary in Inwood and had a damned good start taught by capable, caring and dedicated teachers. They were way ahead of their peers when we moved out to Harrison County this winter..

I wouldn't let schools entirely dictate your decision. I made that mistake out here, chosing a district based on school performance. My kids old school Valley View, by the numbers, is not a top performer in Berkeley County.

I'm quite confident that my children would receive just as good of an education in more rural Taylor County, which is where my heart told me to move when I was looking in the fall. Now I'm in a suburban-esque enclave surrounded by brick and concrete because my wife and I erred on the side of caution basing our decision on 'school reputation and test scores'. Whoopsie.

I say find a good place to settle in WV surrounded with good neighbors, help your kids academically achieve regardless of the school and buy a Prius and say "To hell with NoVa congestion".

Old 05-08-2008, 07:29 PM

Default New job in VA, want to live in WV panhandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
On off hours I could make it from Inwood to Leesburg in under an hour. It's closer from Charles Town or Harpers Ferry.

As far as schools go, Charles Town/HF have darned good schools. Heck, my kids went to Valley View elementary in Inwood and had a damned good start taught by capable, caring and dedicated teachers. They were way ahead of their peers when we moved out to Harrison County this winter..

I wouldn't let schools entirely dictate your decision. I made that mistake out here, chosing a district based on school performance. My kids old school Valley View, by the numbers, is not a top performer in Berkeley County.

I'm quite confident that my children would receive just as good of an education in more rural Taylor County, which is where my heart told me to move when I was looking in the fall. Now I'm in a suburban-esque enclave surrounded by brick and concrete because my wife and I erred on the side of caution basing our decision on 'school reputation and test scores'. Whoopsie.

I say find a good place to settle in WV surrounded with good neighbors, help your kids academically achieve regardless of the school and buy a Prius and say "To hell with NoVa congestion".

I agree with you that it takes more than teachers to "teach" our children. Since I have NO familiarity with any towns within this area, I am relying on info that I gather from others already there. I am hoping to find something with a good sized lot with 4/5 bedrooms, and my budget is around $350k. I have found some homes out there that match my wish list, and am encouraged. However, that said, I don't know if certain neighborhoods are "less desireable" because maybe they have more crime or less "conveniences" like grocery stores. I love my Costco out here and Outlet shopping. Other than that, I can give or take the more populated conveniences. Any ideas? Again, I don't necessarily need to be in WV, but it seems like the taxes may be considerably less than VA?

Old 05-08-2008, 07:36 PM

I don't know if taxes are really that much lower in WV than Northern VA (they definitely are compared to MD) but living costs are. Once you hit the Loudoun County VA line home prices rise dramatically and once you hit Fairfax, be prepared to shell out 600K+ for an average SFH.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:07 PM

19,762 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Other than 4-5 bedrooms and around $350-ish on the budget, what do you want in a neighborhood / house? Acreage? Smaller yard? Wooded acreage? Water, river or other?

I mean, there is A LOT to choose from in Jefferson County (or Berkeley). You can live on the Shenandoah River, the Potomac, up in the mountains, down in the valley, in a historic district, in a new neighborhood (trac house..)

Tell the folks what you would love, and we can point you in the right direction!

Old 05-08-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Other than 4-5 bedrooms and around $350-ish on the budget, what do you want in a neighborhood / house? Acreage? Smaller yard? Wooded acreage? Water, river or other?

I mean, there is A LOT to choose from in Jefferson County (or Berkeley). You can live on the Shenandoah River, the Potomac, up in the mountains, down in the valley, in a historic district, in a new neighborhood (trac house..)

Tell the folks what you would love, and we can point you in the right direction!
We want a useable .5 acre or more in that price range . The more land the better, also we need to stay closer to Loudoun Co. VA. as that's where employment will be. Age of the home doesn't matter as much as setting. Views don't mean anything to me if it sacrafices my yard for my kids and dogs. I would rather have land for them to use than to be on a hilltop. I wouldn't mind if mountains, trees (not thick forest though), water, that sort of thing were present, but not necessary. I would have to say the most important aspect about the home we want is the immediate location. I want space between me and my neighbors. I looked into the recommended community, Huntfield, and the homes are way too close together for me. I guess that's what drew me in to Harpers Ferry homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia