Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 12:29 PM

36 posts, read 12,020 times

Advertisements

Only I think the scenery is like Japan?

Old 08-23-2021, 06:46 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Here is another reason people will leave. Backwards thinking like Sen Azinger.

https://www.newsandsentinel.com/opin...dying-culture/

Old 08-24-2021, 01:02 AM

537 posts, read 958,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

Wow, an actual WV state senator wrote that drivel?! Shameful.

Old 08-24-2021, 05:21 AM

156 posts, read 168,903 times
I'd say the main reason is lack of opportunity.

Old 08-24-2021, 05:42 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkydawg View Post
Wow, an actual WV state senator wrote that drivel?! Shameful.
The people of Wood County voted for him. The people of West Virginia keep voting for people just like him. It's no wonder that the state is in such bad shape and it clearly illustrates why many people leave as soon as they can. Clearly, people like that are not going to attract people to come here.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:58 AM

13,623 posts, read 7,936,616 times
West Virginia is a beautiful state and it's one of my favorite places to visit.

I would think that it would be a popular retirement destination because of its scenery. Maybe Tennessee attracts the retirees who are looking for a mountain destination because a) it has milder winters, and b) it has no state income tax?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe retirees are scared off of WV because of a lack of healthcare access?

I have to think the reason WV doesn't attract young families is as simple as a lack of job opportunities. It's not a good logistical center for a business because there are very few straight roads and no major airports with direct flights.

There's a deeper problem though, and that's the fact that WV is the only state where death rates exceed birth rates. How about start having some babies, West Virginians? Natural population growth is what WV needs.

Old 08-24-2021, 02:11 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
West Virginia is a beautiful state and it's one of my favorite places to visit.

I would think that it would be a popular retirement destination because of its scenery. Maybe Tennessee attracts the retirees who are looking for a mountain destination because a) it has milder winters, and b) it has no state income tax?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe retirees are scared off of WV because of a lack of healthcare access?

I have to think the reason WV doesn't attract young families is as simple as a lack of job opportunities. It's not a good logistical center for a business because there are very few straight roads and no major airports with direct flights.

There's a deeper problem though, and that's the fact that WV is the only state where death rates exceed birth rates. How about start having some babies, West Virginians? Natural population growth is what WV needs.
Health care is not the problem. Charleston, Huntington, and Morgantown all host first class medical facilities. CAMC is a teaching hospital with five major campuses, Mountain Health has two major hospitals, plus Marshall's medical school. WVU Medicine is the largest employer in the state because it has WVU's Medical School plus hospitals in several other cities.

Rural access to health care is a problem no matter where you are. If you live close enough to get to one of these hospitals, your health care will be as good as you can get anywhere.

Old 08-25-2021, 09:52 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The people of Wood County voted for him. The people of West Virginia keep voting for people just like him. It's no wonder that the state is in such bad shape and it clearly illustrates why many people leave as soon as they can. Clearly, people like that are not going to attract people to come here.

Parkersburg did finally vote out Eric Barber. Interesting tidbit. Eric Barber rode to Washington D.C. with Sen Azinger on Jan 6.

If I ever see Sen Azinger I'm going to ask him what all they talked about on the ride home and whether or not Barber showed him the battery he stole.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:42 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:

Yikes. Seeing that the people of West Virginia support this man is reason enough to not move there.

Old 10-03-2021, 03:52 PM

282 posts, read 484,875 times
Quote:

How that guy is a state senator, or in any leadership position, is beyond me. It's people like him running this state now that has people wanting to leave, especially young people who are motivated and the least bit progressive. It's no wonder why we're losing more population than any state in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia