Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 08:41 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,582,237 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't worry much, Chicago liberal politics are backwards, you have mobs running the cities. I hope this shows that Democrats really divide our nation, opening the border for illegal immigrants, raising taxes and surrendering our policies to terrorists. I hope WV makes the right decision and votes for McCain instead of Hussein Obama once November comes around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 09:01 PM

312 posts, read 1,059,456 times
As for the Obama people slamming WV, I wonder if they really are Obama supporters? Hmmm.....We'll never know.

HL...John "Pumpkinhead" Doe ? lol

Old 05-13-2008, 09:08 PM

531 posts, read 1,743,895 times
I wonder if this will make more Hillary supporters vote for McCain!

Old 05-13-2008, 09:21 PM

19,746 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Yes. Regardless of what truths, half-truths or outright lies have been spread about folks in Appalachian states, yes.

McCain couldn't have asked for anything sweeter.

(Unless Hillary joins the ticket, that is)

Old 05-13-2008, 09:26 PM

531 posts, read 1,743,895 times
Actually, I would have liked to see Joe Biden perhaps win the nomination---he's smart,experienced,and (for someone in government)straight talking and has integrity.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:56 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,989,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silace View Post
When blacks vote for a black it is not racism. Racism is when a white votes for a white when they could have voted for a black. It shows how many people in the U S are anti American. They prefer to have a first couple in the White House who hate America
Are you serious?! Well if that is the case, it is also racist for blacks to vote for another black person, when they could have voted for a white person.

That logic is clearly flawed.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:04 PM

19,746 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Not a very flattering analysis.

ABC News: W.Va Voting: Race a Factor in November

Old 05-14-2008, 01:01 AM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,072 times
West Virginia bashing has a long history. I have a copy of a letter written by a man in Ceredo, Cabell County, in 1858. Ceredo was a Massachusetts abolitionist colony set up by Eli Thayer. He believed that if you taught Southerners how to be Northerners that there would be no need for slavery. This young man wrote to his parents in MA that the locals were 'slow-bourned", and they did not keep up their farms. He would like his parents to visit, but he didn't think the locals were very reverent. It seems they used the Sabbath for "gunning and fishing". (That last part made me laugh because it is a perfect description of my late old dad).

I also have an Ohio soldier's narrative, he was part of McClelland's invasion force in 1861, his article was published in The Continental Monthly, Boston, 1862. After descriptions of skirmishes and battles, notably Phillipi and Laurel Hill, he summed up his opinion of western Virginians-"The country is wild and romantic, but good for little or nothing for farming purposes. The houses are mostly built of logs, being little more than mere huts, and around each of these 'mansions' may be seen at least a dozen young 'tow-heads', who are brought up in ignorance and filth. The inhabitants are lazy and ignorant, raising hardly enough to keep starvation from their doors. School houses are almost unknown; we did not see one in the whole course of our march; the consequence is, not more than one in ten of the population can read or write. And the few who 'can just make out to spell' are worse off than their more ignorant brethren. And these people know just enough to make them dangerous. They have read in some of their county newspapers that Vice-President Hamlin is a negro, and that Lincoln is waging this war for the purpose of liberating the slaves and killing their masters." He goes on to abuse West Virginia women, "who are worse than the men; they go dressed in a loose, uncouth manner, barefooted and bareheaded; their principle occupation is chewing tobacco and plundering Union troops by getting ten prices for their eggs, butter and corn bread." Well, all I can say is "You go, girl!"

The man from Ceredo should have appreciated the 'slow-bourne' ways of his neighbors, who else would have put up with an abolitionist colony, which, by the way, turned on its neighbors once the war started, organizing Union resistance and burning down Guyandotte. So you see, CNN, ABC, and all the Obama supporters are engaging in a long honored tradition.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:13 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,312,547 times
Sounds like a description of early Jamestown, Va to me...200 years earlier...thanks, 2 points

We have always had the reputation for being dangerous...sounds like an honest observation...

And wasn't McClelland the 'glory boy' who refused to fight the war...being replaced by a drunk from the midwest named U.S. Grant? One of our greatest hero's Grant...mine anyway...was not a bullsh@ter....

Old 05-14-2008, 04:44 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Dk WVscene forum could use your expertise in history. They're an upstart, but as the saying goes-you have to start somewhere. Doubt we'll see a shortage of lost traffic from citydata- folks here are too reasonable with each other even when they disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia