Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 01:26 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times

Advertisements

Exactly the same thing happened in 1975, when my parents died. I've never seen it happen anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 01:53 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Navy View Post
Back in 1982 when my Dad passed away several friends and family from other states attended the funeral. As the procession drove the 30 miles to the cemetary cars in the oncoming lane pulled over and stopped until the procession passed. our fair state is the only one in which I had ever seen that respect.
The laws in other states are different, which might be why others just don't know that custom. Drivers outside generally are schooled to never break the procession by cutting in, and hearse drivers either use left lane or center lane (in case of 3 lanes) so that it doesn't put people in awkward positions trying to merge on/off exits.

It's also very difficult to identify a procession ahead in heavy traffic areas when 1.the chain has many regular type cars, 2. everyone seems to have daytime running lights standard, and 3. those lights are all facing foward, unseen from a car behind until noticed in rearview.

I've been guilty, but I didn't mean it!
Thanks for clueing me in on the custom. I'll be sure to observe it.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:03 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,377,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Navy View Post
Back in 1982 when my Dad passed away several friends and family from other states attended the funeral. As the procession drove the 30 miles to the cemetary cars in the oncoming lane pulled over and stopped until the procession passed. A friend riding with my family and me asked why the cars were stopping. I told him, "it's just our way of showing respect for a grieving family". I had never really noticed, until then, that our fair state is the only one in which I had ever seen that respect.
When we first moved here, we were behind a procession and the cars on the other side pulled off and stopped until it went by. I was telling my parents about it and she said she didn't know that they still did that. She grew up in WV and said that they always did that out of respect.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:29 PM

63 posts, read 200,152 times
Default always

Everywhere in Western New York State , they also pull over...course the southern tier of WNY is part of appalachian plateau...I guess mountains bring up good manners.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:49 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,077 times
From my reading of Civil War history of the state I've noted several things that made me grin. I read of one company of Union volunteers that came several hundred miles to Wheeling, but when they found out they might have to leave the state, they marched right back home.

One historian wrote that when there was a Confederate raid through an area, Union recruitment went up, and when there was a Union raid, Confederate recruitment went up.

Gen. William L. Jackson (Stonewall's cousin from Parkersburg) organized the 19th VA Cavalry in the central counties, and he noticed that when they passed near home a number of men went AWOL, though they would eventually return after doing their chores. Rather than be a stern disciplinarian and risk losing them altogether, he allowed them a certain amount of time away, and that is why he was able to keep most of his regiment together until the final days.

Perhaps the state motto should be changed to "Montani semper contrari".

Last edited by Bobilee; 05-16-2008 at 02:57 PM..

Old 05-16-2008, 03:08 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
Those unauthorized furloughs date back to the Revolutionary War and Valley Forge. Washington did the same thing after Trenton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia