Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 09:16 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times

Advertisements

What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 09:33 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
My Theory: Positioning

It's a simplification, but think of the political spectrum as having a single dimension, from Libertarian to Leftist. On that spectrum, I'd put Obama as being Liberal, Clinton moderate Liberal, and McCain moderate Conservative. The U.S. population is roughly distributed as a bell-curve, with relatively few voters at the extreme tails and the most voters from moderate Liberal to moderate Conservative.

With Obama the apparent Democratic nominee, McCain can shift his message to the left a bit, to pick up some Clinton supporters, without endangering his vote totals from the conservatives (who might hold their noses, but still vote for McCain). Reagan did the same against Dukakis.

This is why 3rd party candidates pose a big risk... they could siphon off those voters who would otherwise have to choose between the "Big Two."

Old 05-16-2008, 10:11 AM

938 posts, read 2,898,289 times
That left-right thing is too simplistic.

Stalin and Kucinich would be mentioned in the same breath just like Ron Paul and Mussolini. There should be some sort of a scale that measures both restrictions on personal freedoms and "economic" freedoms simulataneously.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:22 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
Of course it's simplistic. But the math (and the visualization) for an N-dimensional space wouldn't work well here. Matrix algebra is best left to computers.

But I think my point is valid... knowing Obama is the opposing candidate allows McCain to emphasize the messages that might capture former Clinton voters.

By the way, here's a quick quiz you can take to see where you fall in 2-dimensional space: World's Smallest Political Quiz.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:25 AM

385 posts, read 1,920,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
That left-right thing is too simplistic.

Stalin and Kucinich would be mentioned in the same breath just like Ron Paul and Mussolini. There should be some sort of a scale that measures both restrictions on personal freedoms and "economic" freedoms simulataneously.
This quiz is more complicated than just conservative/liberal.

World's Smallest Political Quiz

Old 05-16-2008, 11:02 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Am I interpreting this correctly, WVUph? Are you saying that the numbers aren't generated with the right criteria?
When I took this quiz, I think the results were fairly accurate. It's just that some issues aren't as black and white as the limited choices presented.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:08 AM

385 posts, read 1,920,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Am I interpreting this correctly, WVUph? Are you saying that the numbers aren't generated with the right criteria?
When I took this quiz, I think the results were fairly accurate. It's just that some issues aren't as black and white as the limited choices presented.
There is another quiz out there with more detailed questions that produces a similar table. I'll take a look for it when I have time.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:30 AM

617 posts, read 2,072,967 times
According to that quiz, of all the people who have taken it, most people are either Centrist (33.63 %) or Libertarian (32.84 %).

I came out Libertarian.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:46 AM

I don't like that quiz, either. I have a feeling it was designed by a libertarian to make said philosophy appear to be the most superior. With economics, I'd like to see libertarianist views in the middle, then communistic and fascist views as the extremes. There was actually this one I saw online a while back that I thought was brilliant. I'll try to find it...

Old 05-16-2008, 12:02 PM

I like this one. Pink represents the range of current American Establishment ideology. There is an entire article about it, too. Interesting read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia