Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 08:06 AM

2 posts, read 8,208 times

Advertisements

BJC,

Iagree with you about Summersville. I love it there. My family still lives there and I am looking to move back there some time this summer. I am hoping there are plenty of nursing jobs around there or close by. I want to raise my kids where there is low crime and a great country atmosphere. I love visiting still and can't wait to be back. I have been gone for 21 years too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 11:54 AM

688 posts, read 2,836,664 times
Everyone seems to have all sorts of different opinions but there are so many nice places in WV. I grew up in Ripley, so I have to be bias and say that it is your ideal town! The school system is really great too! It has that small town charm and security but it has boomed a little over the last 10 yrs. so there are plenty of stores and places to eat. A nice gym too. There is a huge car dealership, one of the largest in Ripley. It is a Chevy dealership named Tom Peden. My brother worked there and made good money. Their mechs make a good living and also do the salesman even. Their second company, Bob Peden is also large and is located in Clendenin, off I-79. Ripley is off of I-77. Actually, there are many dealers around there and many mech shops! You should also have him check out RAC or Ravenswood Aluminum Company in Millwood, WV which is just down the road a bit from Ripley. It is West and North of Ripley on your way to Ravenswood if that helps. It very well may be called something else now because I think I heard news of someone else taking it over a couple years back. But it is a major employer in Jackson Co. area and people make good money there. They have mechanics for their trucks and stuff. Also Edwards Trucking, also in Millwood, just down the road from RAC. All good places to work and you can't beat the school system! Go Vikings! (sorry, just had to!) There is Jackson General Hospital located in Ripley wehre you may want to search for a job opp. for yourself. There are also quite a few doctors' offices, sports med/rehabs, and a clinic(can't remember the name of it) but it's across the street from Tom Peden. The population is somewhere from about 13,000-15,000. It is easily accessable to Charleston and Parkersburg via I-77 since it is smack dab in the middle of these two bigger cities. Also the Ohio River is right close so many people take their boats out in the summertime for some good fun! Water skiing and tubing, etc. Good clean fun and also many, many trails for four-wheelin', one of my favorite memories! What part of WNY are you living, Rochester? Just wondering cause I live in Roch. also. but will be moving down south to warmer weather cause I can't stand the bitter winters here anymore. I must have sunshine, warmth and lots of it! The zip code for Ripley is 25271 if you need to look up anything. Also, the cost of housing there is really decent! Good luck on your searching! If you need any more info. I am happy to help.
~Lu

Old 04-24-2007, 12:02 PM

Default Yes, Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
I have lived in both WV and VA.

In Virginia - Richmond area vs. Martinsburg area

My property taxes were equal.
Housing was about 15% higher for a good "zoned" neighborhood
Income tax was less.
Sales tax was less.
Car tax was about 10% more
Car insurance was about 10% more

There is a saying about you get what you pay for.

With zoning you don't have to worry about building a home with a trailer park landing across the street

Medical services were much better

Roads? no comparison

Quality of life with all amenities were much better in VA.

As with any state you do have to look at all angles. Herd made reference of Charleston. In my opinion, Charleston is a very nice area of West By God, if not the nicest capitol city in the nation.

All in all it's a matter of opinion. You have to judge for yourself. From covering both states from North to South to East to West, my overall favorite if I was going to live in either is the Lynchburg,VA area. For overall peace and quiet with never ending beauty? Tucker County WV and Blackwater Falls.

All in all whatever your choice you should be happy. I would not suggest Berkeley County anymore since it has turned into litte Washington DC.

Good Luck
I believe you know what your talking about there Georgia! Doing the research online in the housing markets will tell you the same as far as the cost of living and real estate goes.....you go! LOL!
But I'm still sticking with Ripley on my suggestion....it's good there! I promise!

Old 05-02-2007, 11:52 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,405,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLu108 View Post
I believe you know what your talking about there Georgia! Doing the research online in the housing markets will tell you the same as far as the cost of living and real estate goes.....you go! LOL!
But I'm still sticking with Ripley on my suggestion....it's good there! I promise!
Thanks LuLu,
Ole Ripley isn't bad at all.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:33 PM

Awww, thanks!

Old 05-03-2007, 03:43 PM

16 posts, read 58,888 times
Default moving

Wheeling can be a nice area. It is very close to Pennsylvania and Ohio, which gives you some nice places to go in a small radius (Pittsburgh is only about 45-55 minutes away).
There is a beautiful park (Oglebay), and they are building an amusement park in Wheeling within the next few years.
If you move there, Woodsdale, Elm Grove, and Bethlehem are pretty nice areas.
How old are your children?

Old 08-01-2007, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,813 times
Default want to moved from l.a to the nature

i'm 52 y,maried,crasftman,on remodeling,and i'm tired in los angeles,to much people,
car,polution,etc...
i love country,and i'm very love to moved to west virginia,with simple people
but,i have to work for my self,and i need some informations,about business
repairs,remodeling,etc..i have 33 y exp,in carpentry,deck,patio,any construction,25 y exp,plumbing,electricity,painting.
somebody can give me some advice,and information,
thank you all

patrick

Old 08-02-2007, 02:51 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,317,255 times
North Central West Virginia is the hot job market...try Sunday's Classifieds.
Dominionpost.com or cpubco.com This will give you a look at the job openings. wvuhospitals.edu will take you into the university hospital system...find the job board for all the salary information...
Weather here is very mild compared to those Lake Erie winters, but we get hit once in a blue moon...good luck.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:17 AM

19 posts, read 65,808 times
Default Craftsman from L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homedeco View Post
i'm 52 y,maried,crasftman,on remodeling,and i'm tired in los angeles,to much people,
car,polution,etc...
i love country,and i'm very love to moved to west virginia,with simple people
but,i have to work for my self,and i need some informations,about business
repairs,remodeling,etc..i have 33 y exp,in carpentry,deck,patio,any construction,25 y exp,plumbing,electricity,painting.
somebody can give me some advice,and information,
thank you all

patrick
Patrick's post got lost in the shuffle here, but I wanted to let him know that good craftsman are welcome here! I think WV is a good place to be self-employed and if you are honest and good at what you do, then you'll find plenty of the work you mentioned to make a good living. I have had a heck of a time finding contractors in my neck of the woods who can get a job done right in a decent amount of time. I'm still waiting for the latest one to finish a front porch that is going into it's third month now. And it's only about 10' X 5' and a foot off the ground! Uh-oh - see what you started

Anyway - come on over and give W.V. a try - just stick to a more urban area - not too back woods - and you should find plenty of work. (Our Urban areas by the way, will seem like the country compared to L.A.)

Dulcie

Old 08-10-2007, 08:10 PM

11 posts, read 123,305 times
My advice, Stay away from Southern WV, No jobs and poor school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia