Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 03:20 AM

134 posts, read 413,146 times

Advertisements

Economically,northern WV is probably a better bet than southern WV. Climate-wise,Virginia has slightly milder weather than West Virginia.
Both states have a lot of natural beauty. I'm partial to the Shenandoah region of Virginia,especially around Roanoke-- alot of history there --Natural Bridge, the town of Lexington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 01:31 PM

38 posts, read 318,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Some people are just miserable no matter where they are and will look for negative things instead of noticing the great things about a place.
That was a shot at me, LOL! I enjoy life & what this area has to offer more than a helluva lot of the natives. See, i'm in my 40's and don't need to work. I have all the time in the world for hobbies, events and whatever my passion of the moment may be.

With that said, i don't "look for negative things" here in randolph county. I have a great lil ole life w/o stress or worries. NONE!! And just because i notice a negative in your incessant giveheadtoelkins world, that, according to you, makes me miserable. You funny, dude...

I could post a long list of positive aspects of the area, but ultimately you'd go into a mental tailspin by the comment how few locals are actually hospitable. You'd only focus on the negative.

I could go into detail concerning the uneducated, unfriendly local hillbillies as it has been explained to me by several old timers, but i see your head just exploded rupturing yo friends zipper. soo sorry.

GTFU

Old 12-06-2009, 07:00 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,995,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funnycar View Post
That was a shot at me, LOL! I enjoy life & what this area has to offer more than a helluva lot of the natives. See, i'm in my 40's and don't need to work. I have all the time in the world for hobbies, events and whatever my passion of the moment may be.

With that said, i don't "look for negative things" here in randolph county. I have a great lil ole life w/o stress or worries. NONE!! And just because i notice a negative in your incessant giveheadtoelkins world, that, according to you, makes me miserable. You funny, dude...

I could post a long list of positive aspects of the area, but ultimately you'd go into a mental tailspin by the comment how few locals are actually hospitable. You'd only focus on the negative.

I could go into detail concerning the uneducated, unfriendly local hillbillies as it has been explained to me by several old timers, but i see your head just exploded rupturing yo friends zipper. soo sorry.

GTFU
I can't even decipher your post... Not sure what "my head exploded rupturing yo friends zipper" even means. ??? or GTFU ????

Congrats on being 40 and not working???

If you think being hospitable means bending over backwards for you, well you're wrong. People around here generally take care of themselves, friends and family and are remarkably self reliant and sufficient. I guess you were expecting a parade down Randolph Ave. or something.

Those uneducated hillbillies will probably fool ya. According to CityData the % with a bachelors degree in some random cities WV...
Elkins - 23.4%
Wheeling - 23.2%
Fairmont - 20.0%
Charleston - 32.6%
Vienna - 25.9%
Beckley - 21.0%

WV - 16.1% (US CENSUS)
USA - 25.9% (US CENSUS)

So I guess those uneducated hillbillies up there in Elkins may have an accent and you may feel superior because you're from ...wherever, but they're actually fairly educated and about average comparatively to the US average and higher than the state average. So be careful when you're making assumptions.

I'm just going to say this, I'm from Elkins. I'll always love Elkins and it was a great place to grow up. I happen to think it offers a lot and a lot of other people who are unhappy where they currently live might enjoy living in or near Elkins. Elkins and Randolph County aren't for everyone, I know this. But obviously no one is coming to Elkins and expecting a huge city and metropolitan life... If you're expecting that please feel free to hit 33 and move to Pittsburgh or wherever.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:17 PM

17 posts, read 36,645 times
Also...

Percent with a bachelor's or higher:

Morgantown 47.8%
Pittsburgh 26.2%
Fairfax County, VA 54.8%
Columbus, OH 29.2%

I would say that Morgantown is pretty competitive with some much larger cities that also have a significant college presence.

Source: U.S. Census Bureau "Quick Facts"

Old 12-06-2009, 08:25 PM

88 posts, read 234,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmdal View Post
Also...

Percent with a bachelor's or higher:

Morgantown 47.8%
Pittsburgh 26.2%
Fairfax County, VA 54.8%
Columbus, OH 29.2%

I would say that Morgantown is pretty competitive with some much larger cities that also have a significant college presence.

Source: U.S. Census Bureau "Quick Facts"
Yep, from the same source, also:
Percentage with bachelor's degree or higher:
Shepherdstown, WV 48.8%

Old 02-27-2012, 05:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,080 times
I bought an acre with well and septic in Tunnelton, WV couple years back. I thought I was going to move from Maine to WV in a couple of years, but the price of gas, I'll never see the property. Tunnelton is 1500 miles from me. It would cost over 1000.00 around trip, just to get the truck down there to start making a shelter. I'm going to sale the place, unless gas prices goes down overnight, too old to wait it out. I'm thinking of lease with right to buy on the deal. Anyone interested? email solosr42@gmail.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia