Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 11:35 AM

6 posts, read 5,807 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved to the west coast from WV in 2006 due to the worsening job market and overall economy. This last April, we drove cross country to Florida. We're not sure how long we'll be here, but we'd like to go back to WV. We've missed it since the day we left way back in 2006. However, it seems as if the job market and overall economy haven't gotten any better and might have worsened. We'd like to know how things are in WV right now as far as good paying jobs and overall prosperity in the state and figured the best people to tell us are the ones actually living there right now. Anyone have any info or advice? We appreciate any we can get to help us make our decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2022, 11:38 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,397,778 times
I have been living in WV around five years now. As far as I can tell nothing has changed for the better. Covid killed off a lot of small businesses.

Old 11-30-2022, 11:58 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,695,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
I have been living in WV around five years now. As far as I can tell nothing has changed for the better. Covid killed off a lot of small businesses.
I'd argue that politicians have killed off a lot of small business. But that's my opinion.

What kind of work are you seeking? That may help. Generally, Morgantown, Charleston and to lesser degree Wheeling (of you can commute to nearby OH or PA) might be ok.

Old 11-30-2022, 12:01 PM

10,840 posts, read 4,521,326 times
if you can stand the eastern panhandle its boom city and you are a hop skip or jump from VA, MD and PA. jobs galore, lots of fed work and apples...dont forget the apples! (musselman is just down the road)

I am here right now trying to decide WHICH Thai restaurant for dinner....

Old 11-30-2022, 12:52 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,881,622 times
What area of WV did you leave?
What area would you like to live?
What type of occupations?

Some areas are looking for workers more than others. More info is needed, IMO.

Old 11-30-2022, 01:22 PM

My husband has been a delivery driver for years now. My son, who will doubtless come with us because he hates Florida, has experience in warehouse work, stocking and receiving. I could work anywhere, since I work online, but is Internet service still an issue?

Old 11-30-2022, 01:24 PM

We moved from the Mon/Marion County area. Don't know if we want to go back there or perhaps try the southern part of the state, maybe Greenbrier County or Raleigh.

Old 11-30-2022, 02:15 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,397,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
I'd argue that politicians have killed off a lot of small business. But that's my opinion.

What kind of work are you seeking? That may help. Generally, Morgantown, Charleston and to lesser degree Wheeling (of you can commute to nearby OH or PA) might be ok.
For the purposes of the thread it doesn't matter what killed them. They are dead either way.

Old 11-30-2022, 09:12 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,510,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackgriffin View Post
My husband has been a delivery driver for years now. My son, who will doubtless come with us because he hates Florida, has experience in warehouse work, stocking and receiving. I could work anywhere, since I work online, but is Internet service still an issue?
The eastern panhandle sounds like a good fit. There are many of warehouse/distribution center jobs. They are building them everywhere along I-81. Speaking of I-81, your husband could probably find a job in trucking/delivery fairly easily since I-81 is a heavy trucking corridor. Plus, I-70, I-270, I-66, I-95 are all nearby. Internet isn’t as much of an issue in Berkeley and Jefferson counties as it may be in some of the more rural counties. We have tons of remote/hybrid workers here with jobs based in DC/MD/VA (myself included).

Old 12-01-2022, 04:34 PM

926 posts, read 827,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackgriffin View Post
We moved from the Mon/Marion County area. Don't know if we want to go back there or perhaps try the southern part of the state, maybe Greenbrier County or Raleigh.
You left Morgantown because of the economy? Oddly enough we moved to Morgantown (Cheat Lake) because of how good the economic conditions are. I'm assuming a lot has changed in the Morgantown/Fairmont/Bridgeport corridor between 2006 and today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia