Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2023, 07:19 PM

194 posts, read 85,221 times

Advertisements

Anybody have insight or development news on downtown Wheeling? It is a gem of a city. Just love the wheeling centre market. Brewkeepers and Later Alligator are some great places. It feels like Wheeling is changing for the better.

Nothing beats getting a pizza at the downtown DiCarlos and taking it to Brewkeepers and having a craft cold one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2023, 07:32 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times
My relatives go back 120 years in Wheeling. I think the current mayor is good looking, "hip" and wants what is best I think his vision still isn't the one I'd prefer for Wheeling. Some redevelopment but still not enough preservation efforts and too much demolition. Some of the most incredible homes I've ever seen are in Wheeling. Victoria Theater, since 1905, the oldest operating theater in the still run by the nicest people you'll ever meet. Centre Market, Oglebay, Wheeling Park. Public Market. All amazing. Downside is of course weird druggies roaming the street. The way Pittsburgh is becoming. But ask me anything about the town. I'd still buy there.

Old 01-08-2023, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
My relatives go back 120 years in Wheeling. I think the current mayor is good looking, "hip" and wants what is best I think his vision still isn't the one I'd prefer for Wheeling. Some redevelopment but still not enough preservation efforts and too much demolition. Some of the most incredible homes I've ever seen are in Wheeling. Victoria Theater, since 1905, the oldest operating theater in the still run by the nicest people you'll ever meet. Centre Market, Oglebay, Wheeling Park. Public Market. All amazing. Downside is of course weird druggies roaming the street. The way Pittsburgh is becoming. But ask me anything about the town. I'd still buy there.
I couldn’t agree more with you. I think slow but steady changes would be good. I personally think it is a hidden gem and pretty good location being right on 70. I was sad to see Wheeling brewing company close. Do you know if something else is going in there?

As far as downtown they seem to be converting a lot of buildings over to residential. There is hope. More has been going on in Wheeling the last 10 years than the previous 60-70 years.

Old 01-08-2023, 06:18 PM

286 posts, read 348,216 times
Want so badly to see Wheeling flourish again

Old 01-09-2023, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvu2016 View Post
Want so badly to see Wheeling flourish again
Me too. I think it is a very attractive place if you want to work remote. There is enough going on there to keep you busy. Close to Pittsburgh and Columbus if you want a quick day trip.

The health plan building was such a nice addition to downtown.

Old 01-09-2023, 05:01 PM

Here is a summary of some local projects in downtown wheeling and the panhandle. I do love wesbanco arena. Great to watch some hockey there

https://www.theintelligencer.net/new...ling-projects/

Old 01-09-2023, 10:01 PM

16 posts, read 9,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailerman9192 View Post
Me too. I think it is a very attractive place if you want to work remote. There is enough going on there to keep you busy. Close to Pittsburgh and Columbus if you want a quick day trip.

The health plan building was such a nice addition to downtown.
The night life used to be about 20 times better than is there today, but once you get out the Pike from Woodsdale on, it is still a nice place. I have the impression the wealthy have converted it into a retirement community.

Old 01-29-2023, 06:39 PM

Doris apartment project in Downtown Wheeling. Going up fast…

https://wtov9.com/amp/news/local/dor...ntown-wheeling

Old 02-05-2023, 06:54 PM

Big projects are boosting Wheeling.

https://www.theintelligencer.net/new...1800s-present/

Old 02-06-2023, 05:33 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,093,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailerman9192 View Post
Big projects are boosting Wheeling.

https://www.theintelligencer.net/new...1800s-present/
That's great to hear! It has been years since I've gotten to visit Wheeling, so I am now looking forward to my next visit to see all of the improvements/new construction. I feel that Wheeling has the bones to become a trendy place for people to visit and move to. It's right along 70, and close enough to Pittsburgh and Columbus for that to have an impact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia