Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:20 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,310,545 times

Advertisements

Sorry GHO...another burn center is tiny Preston Memorial in Kingwood...all there for the army base at Camp Dawson...15 unit burn center with all the trimmings...gotcha!

2 points for the effort though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 08:34 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,947,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Sorry GHO...another burn center is tiny Preston Memorial in Kingwood...all there for the army base at Camp Dawson...15 unit burn center with all the trimmings...gotcha!

Funny, Preston Memorial doesn't list a burn unit as being part of their services on their website.
Preston Memorial Hospital Departments and Services (http://www.prestonmemorial.org/pm.nsf/View/Departments&Services - broken link)

Cabell's website however does list that the burn unit there is the only one of it's kind in WV.
Cabell Huntington Hospital - Services - Burn Intensive Care Unit (BICU) - Huntington, WV

And the Burn Survivors Resource website lists Cabell's burn unit as the only one in the state as does burn-recovery.org.
West Virginia Burn Units and Rehab Centers - Burn Survivor Resource Center - Burn Recovery
Specialized Burn Centers

Old 06-02-2008, 08:54 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post

Hmm, In all my years living in Randolph County, only separated from Preston by either Barbour or Tucker counties. I've never heard of a burn center there. When I looked it up on their hospitals website there wasn't any information on it either. Considering my mom has worked as an RN, P.A.C. for nearly 30 years, she never mentioned anything about it to me either. I also looked up information on their website and found nothing either. I found a website that reviewed hospitals and listed their services as well. Burn Care Unit was not checked off for Preston Memorial. I did notice it was not accredited through any healthcare organization though, which I found a little scary and alarming.

Preston Memorial Hospital - Revolution Health

If they do indeed have a burn center there, it must only be for the army base. I don't think it is open to the general public.

Then I found this page on Cabell-Huntington's Intensive Burn Unit. In the first few sentences it says how its the only center of it's kind in the state.

Cabell Huntington Hospital - Services - Burn Intensive Care Unit (BICU) - Huntington, WV

Touché

Old 06-02-2008, 09:05 PM

Funny thing is, Preston Memorial only has 76 beds in the entire hospital according to another site. To devote 15/76 beds or 20% of your hospital to burn patients would be a bit much. Especially considering that Cabell offers 5 beds in the BICU out of 367 total and doesn't always have those full, while at other times they have so many burns that they are spread throughout the hospital. GHO, we must have been writing at the same time in our previous posts.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:23 AM

Sorry guys about your data mining...its incorrect...Preston Memorial has the unit. It's there in case an accident occurs at the army base...it could be that its off limits to the public...most burn cases here are flown to PMC anyway...and I double checked...It is a five bed unit...the cost was 15 million...blame it on old age.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:26 AM

There's a difference between having an actual burn unit and being prepared to take burn patients. Having the unit means that you can treat them and would not have to transfer them to another facility. Being prepared to take them means that you can admit them, stabilize them and then transfer them to a hospital with an actual burn unit. A burn unit consists of more that just beds. It takes a lot of specialized equipment along with nurses who are HIGHLY trained in wound care. If this was a feature that the hospital had, it would be listed somewhere, especially on the websites with info for burn patients. You don't put that much of an investment into a service and then keep it secret. If you double checked, list the site where you got your info from. We've backed up our case with proof, now the burden of proof is on you if we are wrong.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:16 AM

No one is wrong...(the site) is an advisor to a U.S Senator...we speak weekly to share information. If this is an issue for you bailey, call me wrong and go on with your life.

The burn unit is there wether it's disclosed or not...

Old 06-03-2008, 10:09 AM

You said GHO and myself were incorrect with our information even though we had proof through several links and personal experience to back it up. I was just asking if you had any proof to back up what you were saying since it was you who said we were wrong. Not an issue for me. If someone calls me wrong I just like to see proof, especially when the evidence says I'm right. I see it as debating, not arguing. As stated before, it keeps us all honest and lets others see various points of view to draw their own conclusions.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:11 AM

74 posts, read 369,757 times
I've been reading this back and forth about the burn unit at Preston Memorial Hospital and thought it was quite interesting. So, I decided to do some research for myself (since I have ties to both areas-- near Preston County and Huntington). I actually just got off the phone with someone at PMH and they said they do not have a burn unit. She said they only have an ER and then transfer the patient to a larger hospital if the burn if too severe for them to handle. Just thought I'd let everyone know!

Old 06-03-2008, 12:37 PM

thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia