Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 06:29 PM

620 posts, read 1,838,547 times

Advertisements

Eventually I'm trying to get to all the states. I've picked West Virginia for fall and we've never been. Can anybody suggest some areas - we like historical places, parks, beautiful scenery.Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 07:31 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,373,763 times
How long of a trip? There are a lot of things in different areas that fit your list.

Canaan Valley area is my fav. Tucker County CVB - Canaan Valley, West Virginia

Fayetteville/ Hawks Nest State Park/ Beckley area has white water rafting, scenery, coal mine exhibition which takes you underground. West Virginia Tourism, Travel and Vacation Planning - Southern West Virginia CVB Also, I just adore the Mystery Hole http://www.mysteryhole.com/

The Eastern Panhandle (Harpers Ferry, Shepherdstown, etc) offers a lot of history. Jefferson County, West Virginia Convention & Visitors Bureau

Also check out Travel Planner

Old 06-03-2008, 07:51 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,312,547 times
Festivals and re-enactment camps exist at Prickett's Fort in Fairmont and Ft. New Salem in Salem, Wv. The Prickett's Fort Camp is very well done and from the French and Indian War Period...colorful...near the water and very realistic with the re-created old fort..In that same area is Ft. Necessity near Uniontown, Pa...about 45 minutes away.

Other than those, most of the festivals are theme oriented or serve the history of the Civil War...Buckwheat Festival in Kingwood is good...Hick Fair at Parsons on Labor Day...Everybody ignores the Hick Fair but its a winner...blue grass music like grandpa played..

Old 06-03-2008, 08:54 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,235,461 times
You're planning your trip for the fall, so you won't want to miss the Mountain State Forest Festival in Elkins. While in Elkins, you can ride several tourist trains (broken link), and take in the show at the American Mountain Theater.

About 45 minutes south of Elkins is the Cass Scenic Railroad, complete with a restored 1900s company town, and ride behind an authentic coal-burning locomotive to the 2nd highest point in West Virginia.

Another 45 minutes south of Cass, and you're at Watoga State Park, the largest WV State Park with 10,000 acres. Nearby is the birthplace of Pearl S. Buck in Hillsboro and Droop Mountain Battlefield State Park.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:20 PM

Set up a base camp in Elkins and plan day trips for a week...you will see most of the best that way...Canaan, Cass...trout fish at Bowden...Blackwater Falls....work that around a festival and you will come back again and again.
Leaves turn in late September.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:12 AM

4,954 posts, read 8,949,212 times
Another option that would let you see all of the fall foliage along with the states 2 largest cities and some of the smaller towns would be to take the New River Train from Huntington. The train starts out at the beautiful old train station in Huntington and then heads towards Charleston on its way to the New River Gorge. Some beautiful scenery and you get to see the wild side and the city side of WV. Here's the link.
Tim

The New River Train - Collis P. Huntington Railroad Historical Society (http://www.newrivertrain.com/nrt.shtml - broken link)
Huntington, WV : CSX Station photo

Old 06-04-2008, 05:42 AM

To do this regionaly, another region is the Harpers Ferry area and camping at Cacapon with the Blue Ridge Parkway and Shenandoah Valley.

As also the Hinton, Pipestem Park, Bluestone Lake area.

Summersville, New River Gorge area, Gauley River area.

Parkersburg, Blennerhasset Mansion and Ohio river area..

What is so common in Wv is the rivers...couple that with the changing leaf foilage and some R & R and Wv is a wonderful choice for getting the mind and body back into sync.

the real problem will be 'What to choose....its not like going to the Grand Canyon, riding a burro to the bottom and saying, "I've done that.....

Old 06-04-2008, 06:14 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,235,461 times
Definitely allow time for pure R & R. Just sit yourself down somewhere outsides, preferably away from the highway, and let the mountains talk to you.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:37 AM
BJC

336 posts, read 1,187,844 times
I would suggest that you have your base in Summersville, (26651) and do day trips from there. Close to Gauley, for white water rafting.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:31 PM

620 posts, read 1,838,547 times
Thank you everyone for your comments! I really appreciate it. I will research them all! I imagine it's just beautiful there in fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia