Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 12:40 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
definitely does not have the southern hospitality factor that TN has
Is your post a sample of southern hospitality? If this is how you interacted with your neighbors in Greenbrier and Berkeley no wonder you found them inhospitable.

Last edited by Bobilee; 06-07-2008 at 12:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 03:39 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
Most people who fail to learn the lessons of survival are bitter. If they cannot succeed here, where there is a plenthora of help, friendship and goodwill, how will they succeed anywhere else.

It's an issue of a person not liking themselves...this is where it begins...if they can't succeed here...they are not succeeding in the greener pasture areas either...they have embraced the state of denial...their bitterness is directed to the place that they love the most and their failure is directed then towards blame...

Old 06-08-2008, 03:24 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Ty DK, 100 pts for diplomacy. Not always about disliking self- sometimes the need for external approval overrides real needs. Mechanism of exploitation. Bad way to be.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:24 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
A person cannot succeed until he learns that success is predicated on giving...give and things are given back. Positive thinking resolves into positive means and this evolves into positive ends...
It all starts with a persons conception of themselves...of good worth or not. All learned from someone else.
Those who consider themselves of good worth have greater success and less stress.
It's a choice thing too...we choose to be who we are.. since the beginng of man.
Sermon's over, have a nice day...

Old 08-13-2008, 04:51 PM

11 posts, read 44,740 times
Y'all are confusing! I would like to relocate to WV, but I hear the job market isn't that great. I am used to big cities and jobs that are easy to come by, but I want my kids to grow up in a better place. I currently live outside of atlanta. My husband and I are ready to move on perminately, but finding the best place for us is becoming somewhat discouraging.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:44 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,712 times
The WV job market is going to look downright depressing when compared to an economic powerhouse like Atlanta. I've said this before, in WV you will either find a job very quickly (usually health care or service sector) or you won't find one at all, so it will depend. I certainly wouldn't move to WV or anywhere else without having a job lined up first.

Define what you want in a "better" place. When compared to WV, Atlanta would be impossible to beat in terms of diversity and urban amenities. It's kind of hard to give advice on a place in WV without a list of things you are searching for.

The best I can come up with at the moment is prices will be cheaper, jobs will pay less, people might be friendlier, and the weather a little cooler.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:19 AM

35 posts, read 81,387 times
Hi there - new to this posting - I am temp moving from Florida up to Knoxville, TN, in the hopes of finding a professional MBA job there or in Charleston, WV, or Winston-Salem, NC - as for Charleston, which I really do like for its quaintness, and would trade Mickey Mouse ears any day of the week for their tourism of white water rafting - I am curious also about the job market obviously - might you know of any recruiters who specialize in either marketing/sales-customer mgmt/compliance/regulatory in the software, banking, healthcare, hospitality fields in that area, or who represent that city/region by chance? That would sure be a big help for me - it's hard when you dont' actually live somewhere to be hunting like this, but I need to be more aggressive in my search. Thanks so much! =)

Old 08-14-2008, 07:50 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
The local newspapers are the Gazette and the Daily Mail. It's a weird situation, they are rival papers yet they are the same. Ex: If you place an ad in classified it appears in both papers.
Anyhow, they have a page on the web for job hunting: Charleston Newspaper - Gazette-Mail Jobs powered by Yahoo! HotJobs
or you can goto Charleston Newspapers Classifieds and click on gazettemailjobs.com

Not familiar with any headhunters but looking at the Web Yellow Pages for Chalreston you may try:

Home :: Challenger Gray & Christmas - The original outplacement company.
Wiki says: Challenger, Gray & Christmas is the oldest executive outplacement firm in the US. It has offices in 52 cities in the US

[SIZE=4]Adecco[/SIZE] Website
1006 Washington St E, Charleston, WV (304) 345-8367

[SIZE=4]Career Transitions[/SIZE] 1118 Kanawha Blvd E, Charleston, (304) 343-0682

Old 08-14-2008, 07:56 AM

35 posts, read 81,387 times
Wow, thank you so much for your quick response - I will definitely check that out! I sure appreciate your time with this - take care and have a great week!

Old 08-14-2008, 10:11 AM

404 posts, read 1,187,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
I will say this in defense of Senator Byrd. He has not lined his pockets with the public money...that is a honest fact...and his help has been to everyone.
Pork Barrel? Look at NYC and the housing projects? Dallas with the road projects...Caifornia, if you really want pork...
West Virginia was a waste land until sewage and clean water was brought here...Highways to develop local economies that were only dreams 25 years ago.
This country needs WV in the very worst way...when her borders are sealed you will understand why some of the pork was spent here...

Sealed borders...that just made the hair on the back of my neck stand up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia