Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 02:07 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&H TEAM View Post
Y'all are confusing! I would like to relocate to WV, but I hear the job market isn't that great. I am used to big cities and jobs that are easy to come by, but I want my kids to grow up in a better place. I currently live outside of atlanta. My husband and I are ready to move on perminately, but finding the best place for us is becoming somewhat discouraging.
Does your hubby do construction work - there is a shortage of hard working construction workers, especially skilled ones. A lot of the jobs will take him out of town during the week. Also, there are long hours often during construction season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloyler View Post
Wow, thank you so much for your quick response - I will definitely check that out! I sure appreciate your time with this - take care and have a great week!
YW. That is pretty much the way of people in WV - helpful. Sometimes too much so but that is OK too.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:43 PM

11 posts, read 44,742 times
Thanks Mtneeratheart! I really appreciate your input on our search.

We are looking for cleaner air, much less crime (where we live now there is little crime, but we never go out of this suburb in fear of what could happen). We have small kids . Most people from atl are not really from here, so they are not always so friendly. If you try and start a conversation or make friends, they tend to look at you as if your crazy for even talking, or they just ignore you all together. Very hustle and bustle here, I want things to slow down and enjoy life. The job market in atl has a very high turn around so it is hard to stay at any length of time with a company. I am a nurse so I know where ever we go, it will be pretty easy for me to find work.

My husband is a welder and also a hunter/fisher/outdoors/forest person and he is still trying to get me to like it. He has told me that there has to be outdoor recreation available before he will move. I have also looked in the tri-city area, kingsport, Johnson city. I have family there, but they say the job market is'nt good. Knoxville is much larger, but still much smaller than atl. Thanks for any advise, I am still looking, and will continue to.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:50 PM

11 posts, read 44,742 times
Thanks Vec101!

No sorry he is a welder for a big company here, please don't ask what he welds. I try and listen when he talks about work and act like I understand, but really I have no clue what he is talking about (pipes, tubing, mig/tig stuff). Do they use welders in construction? How long do these jobs last? What is the average home cost in WV. I read on another post that Ripley and Summersville are great places for families. Is this true? Thanks for all your input.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:44 PM

131 posts, read 360,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Does your hubby do construction work - there is a shortage of hard working construction workers, especially skilled ones. A lot of the jobs will take him out of town during the week. Also, there are long hours often during construction season.
We are looking to relocate. My husband is in construction. Where is most of the construction located???

Old 08-16-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySkreenName01 View Post
We are looking to relocate. My husband is in construction. Where is most of the construction located???
What type of construction is he in? I should have been more clear - I was talking about heavy construction (roads, etc.). I know there is a shortage of labor, especially skilled labor, in this area.

I don't know much about commercial or residential construction of buildings and homes.

The heavy construction is located all over the state - often in hollers. Some of the larger heavy construction companies pay the hotel room for their employees while they work out of town. You can basically live anywhere in the state and work for a company such as one in the Charleston area. Seems like most guys working for a Chas company live anywhere from Clarksburg to Beckley to Logan and places in-between. It's not uncommon for an employee to live 2 hours from the company office cuz most never are at the company office anyhow.

The Sunday paper can be found tomorrow at The Charleston Gazette - - - look at the classifieds (don't know if a lot are advertised right now). Many employees are hired by word-of-mouth. Some people find employment cuz they just walk onto the job site and ask if they are hiring.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:24 PM

131 posts, read 360,466 times
thanks for the info. he is most like carpenter type, residential usually.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:48 PM

They have been going insane building houses in Putnam County (sort of a bedroom community for Charleston) and in parts of the Eastern Panhandle. Don't know what it's like in the EP but I think spec house building in Putnam has slowed down some. Although, they keep putting up new houses and establishing new developments in the greater Charleston area. I don't know who is buying all these houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia