Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 11:54 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
My SO agrees with that. She's vacationed several times in Ireland, and says it and WV are very similar.

Waving at everyone you meet. Knowing the instant an out-of-towner is in the neighborhood. Even how directions are given (Go this way till you get to the house that Mrs. Smith used to live in, then turn towards where widow Jones had her car accident last year.)
My daughter married an Irishman and lives in County Cork. I agree that there are cultural similarities, but West Virginians are definitely far more
American than they are Irish. They are the most American of anyone.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:52 PM

88 posts, read 234,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
My daughter married an Irishman and lives in County Cork. I agree that there are cultural similarities, but West Virginians are definitely far more
American than they are Irish. They are the most American of anyone.
Well, yeah, saying there are similarities, not the people in WV are somehow a different nationality.

You'll see similar things all over the country: VA has a lot in common with England (which is interesting when you look at VA/WV); Minnesota has a lot in common with Sweden, Louisiana still has a heavy French influence, etc.

Doesn't make anyone more or less American in any regard.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:42 PM

23 posts, read 41,559 times
West Virginia, be proud. Its better then being a stuck up yupee! Seems to me you might be one yourself, how many words did you spell right again?

Old 12-16-2009, 03:48 PM

Location: East of Richmond, betweem the Mattaponi and Rappahannock Rivers
21 posts, read 58,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by x1x View Post
Again I see a person thats confusing the state of West Virginia with the state of Virginia, I will attempt to try and teach your sister the difference between the two states, first of all the people in the state of West Virgina are called Mountaineers because they live in the mountains, Now the people in the state of Virgina that live in the western part of the state are called hillbilly's because they live in the hills, Now I hope i have helped solve your question about the two states. And about mountaineers being racist just remember the slaves were set free in 1863 in the state of West Virgina so how can they be racist. And should you be interested in moving to the state of West Virgina, I have some wonderful ocean front lots for sale in the state of West Virgina..

Now I am pissed about the Virginia comment...gosh ya'll...This post is pissing everyone off.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:55 PM

58 posts, read 136,031 times
I find that you asked the question to begin with offensive. I'm sure that there are people that your sister wont like in every state in America, but you singled out WV and made what I consider a racist remark by calling us hillbillies. I am very proud of my heritage and would rather live in WV as a full on hillbilly than anywhere near your sister. By the way, you can tell your sister the next time that she wants to visit WV she can stop by my place for some real WV hospitality.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:36 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
I worked for a couple of years in Ohio and was astounded by the perception they have of West Virginians. We are a huge source of jokes for them; I cannot TELL YOU how many "West Virginia' jokes I heard while I was there. At some point, I began to lose my good-natured sense of humor. Ya think that they don't have any hillbillies in Ohio?? I saw plenty myself. It's not like everyone there has an executive job in Cleveland.

The last straw was when a young man had been killed in WV while turkey hunting. The local OH radio station DJ's thought this was hilarious and joked about it all day long.

Oh well, I guess if I were a 'buckeye' I would feel the need to feel superior to someone too. Ummm. at least our rivers don't catch on fire!!!

Old 01-03-2010, 12:58 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
Most everyone from Ohio came from Wv at one time or another...they have forgotten who their people are and lie about it if cornered..

Ask one of those 'buckeyes about it...see how angry they get...it's denial...sad, but true.

They are angry because they just couldn't make it here and had to move away...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia