Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:36 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,042,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriam30 View Post
Thanks to all of you....

We will be moving to charleston...The Oktoberfest sounds great will see if I can make it there today....I've been to the oktoberfest in Munich and it was awsome....

I like heineken beer and my husband likes it to....lol...
Have you tried Hefeweizen beer ....????

My husband now loves german and austrian food and I need to get used to american food....lol...

Most of the stuff that you have here, I've never seen before...everytime I go to a store here I feel stupid cause when I tell my mother in law I've never seen something like that, people just looking at me like im from a different planet....lol....

I know one german speaking lady here in the charleston area but I dont want to meet just german speaking people ....

I just thought maybe I can get to know some people and it will make the move here a little easier for me....and my kids....

It still scares me a little when I think about it...lol...I lived in Europe all my life....17 years in Austria and 13 years in Germany.....so it will be a big change....

and please be patient with me, my english is not that good yet but I'm working on it....lol....
Your English is rather good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 05:48 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,286,445 times
Other than the name...I doubt if the Oktoberfest's will have a lot in common...BUT I've been wrong before...

Old 06-28-2008, 11:56 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,747,210 times
Dk I posted the disclaimer because it is a baseball game with german theme, not a german theme festival. I think we as americans try to celebrate other cultures even if it is a watered down version. Native irish chuckle at the st patricks day parade in NYC, but they appreciate the sentiment more than its accurate depiction from my impression.

Your chinese friends- what do they say about chinese restaurants here? Usually they laugh first, then say something polite.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:06 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,286,445 times
They attend the good restaurants...compare recipies...it's a hoot...we were doing just that yesterday afternoon in Morgantown at the Evergreen at the new mall..comparing the fried dumplings...
Munich sets the standard for their theme holiday...ach die liber...

Old 06-28-2008, 02:11 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,747,210 times
I recall being at some german themed park in Va-- maybe bush gardens? It was a tacky americanized version of german flare- like living in a coo koo clock.

The closest to authentic german I've had in upscale version was manhattan upper east side, but even then it was a regional blend (polish, dutch, austrian blended in). Workmans fare type german food can be found in penn dutch regions. I'm wondering if miriam is going to be shocked by scrapple of northern regions. What would munich think??? lol

Old 06-28-2008, 05:45 PM

193 posts, read 810,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriam30 View Post
I love it here ..If you been to austria you know what Im talking about....
Hmm, maybe that's why I've always loved WV since I first visited it.

My family's from Ebensee .

Old 06-28-2008, 06:13 PM

6 posts, read 11,797 times
cool...I think wv looks very similar to austria...well we have bigger mountains though....lol...
I love being outside in the woods and do all that outside stuff....

well I didnt make it to the Oktoberfest but I will go to munich in september to the real oktoberfest....lol...

I've been here in wv the 3 time now and I dont wanna go back to germany on monday...but I have to....well at least until my husband comes back....

but I'll be Back like Aronold would say.....

I really love it here and I even found a House that I bought while I was here....

So I will still keep writing in here until I come back in feb09.....

I cant believe how relaxed people are driving here ...In germany you gotta drive fast or they will run over you....lol....

And people are so friendly here not like in germany.....

well you all have a good one and I will write later when I'm back in germany....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia