Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 01:34 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times

Advertisements

Wasn't sure if they worked out all the bugaboos on those things- some woman got a bill for like 30k one month- I guess something went wacky or someone had figured out a way to hijack her account. Dunno all the details. I tended to just avoid working on the wrong side of a bridge relative to home base- easier math for me.
Here are other warnings about them...
Rip Off Report: EZ Pass overcharges for tolls Staten Island New York
Refunds to Motorists For E-Z Pass Errors - New York Times
E-ZPass Sucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 09:53 PM

938 posts, read 2,898,289 times
The newest update came out late last month....looks like the Cheat Lake interchange won't even begin until 2013 now...expected to be done in 2015...jesus...

Old 01-16-2009, 05:45 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
At least they repaved a section of 857 last summer.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:08 AM

240 posts, read 732,358 times
Reminds me of the King Coal Highway designed to open up McDowell Co. C'mon throw us a bone, Joe. WV does exist south of Beckley.

Exit's been sitting there for years with a barrier saying "Road closed." They have built a bridge to nowhere across Rt. 19 in Bluefield. Only progress I've seen.

As for tolls, for me to travel to Charleston, three tolls, 1.25 apiece=3.75 one way=7.50 round trip. And news is they are going to raise them to 2.00. So it will soon be 12.00.

And this on a road where the speed limit is 70 mph and there are potholes your entire wheel could disappear into.

But we must keep Tamawreck open even though we endanger people's lives to get to it. That place has been sucking millions from the tolls for years.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:13 PM

7 posts, read 17,212 times
No. When will it be completed?

Old 01-19-2009, 06:43 AM

4,955 posts, read 8,952,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millersangel View Post
Reminds me of the King Coal Highway designed to open up McDowell Co. C'mon throw us a bone, Joe. WV does exist south of Beckley.
Here you go Miller. There is some hope that this will get done sometime in the next 20 years. Coal companies have seen it as a good excuse to do some surface mining and make a new road at the same time. If not for that, there would be even less progress made on this road. We can hope though. Getting to SC along with Cincy and Columbus from Huntington will be so much easier if/when this gets done. I just hope I see it in my lifetime.

COMMENTARY: Obama Stimulus Could Expedite Road to Huntington - Huntington News Network

Old 01-19-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Here you go Miller. There is some hope that this will get done sometime in the next 20 years. Coal companies have seen it as a good excuse to do some surface mining and make a new road at the same time. If not for that, there would be even less progress made on this road. We can hope though. Getting to SC along with Cincy and Columbus from Huntington will be so much easier if/when this gets done. I just hope I see it in my lifetime.

COMMENTARY: Obama Stimulus Could Expedite Road to Huntington - Huntington News Network
Thanks for the link. I'm not holding my breath.

I see it was written by Craig Hammond and I followed the link to his blog. Didn't know he had one. He runs the Union Mission in Bluefield.

I know this is OT but here is his latest post from Jan. 7

Quote:
It has been five days since Opinion Research Corporation released polling results that showed that “77 percent of Americans believe that the U.S. media is making the economic situation worse by projecting fear into people's minds,” and hardly anyone in the mainstream press has reported it. These results line up perfectly with what Business & Media Institute Vice President Dan Gainor has been saying for the past four years:
And here is a snippet from today's Bluefield Daily Telegraph entitled "Need for assistance doesn’t subside after holidays end"

Quote:
Another nearby food pantry operated by the Bluefield Union Mission is also seeing many people asking for help.

“We have had a steady stream of folks coming in ever since the holidays. You wouldn’t have known there was a break,” said Craig Hammond, the mission’s director.

“Our food pantry is filled to the brim,” Hammond said. “Of course, the demand has been steady as well. We have seen a record number of requests for food, but the supply is meeting the demand.”

The large supply will not last indefinitely.

“I figure we average around 4,000 canned or shelf-stable food items per week, so it wouldn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out in about two months we could be depleted,” Hammond said.

Donations keep arriving. On Friday, Jan. 16, the Nash-Finch Company near Bluefield, Va. donated $4,000 to the Bluefield Union Mission to help the food pantry if there are any shortages, Hammond said.
So does that mean the media has psyched people out to think they need free food handouts or is the economy getting worse?

Old 01-19-2009, 12:55 PM

4,955 posts, read 8,952,889 times
I've seen that info before about the media. I don't think they are saying the media is the cause of the downturn in the economy, just that some feel that they are making it worse. No one can argue the increase in the loss of jobs etc. as these are hard figures. What can be argued though is that when consumers see so much of this on the news and they hear "It's the worst since the Great Depression..." etc., does it decrease confidence and cause people not to spend as much which then makes the economic side of things worse? If people don't spend, companies don't make money. If companies don't make money then they fire employees or close all together. This then leads to fewer people who are able to spend. I can see how people would feel this way.

Last edited by tbailey1138; 01-19-2009 at 01:26 PM..

Old 01-20-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I've seen that info before about the media. I don't think they are saying the media is the cause of the downturn in the economy, just that some feel that they are making it worse. No one can argue the increase in the loss of jobs etc. as these are hard figures. What can be argued though is that when consumers see so much of this on the news and they hear "It's the worst since the Great Depression..." etc., does it decrease confidence and cause people not to spend as much which then makes the economic side of things worse? If people don't spend, companies don't make money. If companies don't make money then they fire employees or close all together. This then leads to fewer people who are able to spend. I can see how people would feel this way.
I see your point. I know I am spending much less and saving more. Just in case. But I've always been frugal. Now, I am putting things like getting my hair cut off and not buying anything I really don't need. I always ask myself is it a need or a want?

And it's because I really don't know what the future will bring. That is influenced by the media. And the facts.

I wonder if it's such a bad thing though in the long run. We were ruled by rampant consumerism for so long. Keeping up with the Jones type thing.

I know it hurts business which in causes lay offs and then people really don't have money to spend.

But maybe it was just inevitable and one of those painful processes that will eventually work itself out.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:35 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
For whatever reason, Manchin continually short changes his hometown and region. He is a pathetic panderer whose main attribute is finding a camera. Unfortunately, the electorate falls for him hook, line, and sinker. They supported his uncle A. James too before he squandered more than $100 million of state money in some kind of Wall Street ponzi scheme.

Toll should not be imposed for that small portion of the expressway. However, completing I-68 to Moundsville should be given priority and if the State won't do it's job the right way, go ahead and put a toll on it to get it done. Connecting North Central WV to the Ohio Valley would be a huge benefit for both areas, and would open up a large portion of the State to development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia