Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 11:03 AM

55 posts, read 235,829 times

Advertisements

I've lived at Snowshoe for 13 years, and it has never hit 90. 76 right now at the base of the mountain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 11:14 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Unless you have lived where there is NO humidity you won't know what perfect weather is. Most of the time here in Las Vegas the humidity is in single digits. Recently it was two percent. 85º and five percent humidity is perfect weather. Even 100º is comfortable with no humidity. Right this minute it is pretty high for us at 30% and 90º, but we are in the middle of monsoon season and it might actually rain a little bit, but we don't hold our breath and wait. A 30% to 40% chance is no chance at all. Over 300 days of sunshine, almost never rains so it rarely floods, even less snow, no tornadoes, no hurricanes, no mudslides, no forest fires, no earthquakes, no mosquitoes, no fleas, no blizzards, nothing bad except for 38 million tourists every year, and they just bring us money.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:22 AM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
That's your opinion. A lot of folks (including me) love the smell of the burnt autumn leaves damped by fog in the morning, or the smell of oak wood burning from a wood stove as it lays low in the valley before a winter snow squall moves in.

The west is nice. Very dry, very scenic, but in WV ALL your tactile senses burst to life with every change of the seasons. We have scenery, climate, deep woodland smells..

You don't get that where you live. I would love to live in CO, but one thing I always told my wife- I would miss the smell of fall in the mountains here.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:57 PM

967 posts, read 2,995,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietlake View Post
To me, "perfect" weather is 4 seasons, summers under 90 degrees with low humidity, any winter conditions, leaves changing colors in fall. Does this exist ANYWHERE in West Virginia? (Thanks in advance!)
Hinton, WV. I just returned from a blissfull week of mid 80's and sunshine with low humidity; cool nights of 50, and cool misty mornings with air so sweet and fresh you can't seem to breath enough of it in. Ahhhhhhhhhh

Old 07-27-2008, 01:13 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Unless you have lived where there is NO humidity you won't know what perfect weather is. Most of the time here in Las Vegas the humidity is in single digits. Recently it was two percent. 85º and five percent humidity is perfect weather. Even 100º is comfortable with no humidity. Right this minute it is pretty high for us at 30% and 90º, but we are in the middle of monsoon season and it might actually rain a little bit, but we don't hold our breath and wait. A 30% to 40% chance is no chance at all. Over 300 days of sunshine, almost never rains so it rarely floods, even less snow, no tornadoes, no hurricanes, no mudslides, no forest fires, no earthquakes, no mosquitoes, no fleas, no blizzards, nothing bad except for 38 million tourists every year, and they just bring us money.
But is it also not true... no trees, no grass, no creek running through your back yard, no deer in the field behind your house, ....

Old 07-27-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
That's your opinion. A lot of folks (including me) love the smell of the burnt autumn leaves damped by fog in the morning, or the smell of oak wood burning from a wood stove as it lays low in the valley before a winter snow squall moves in.

The west is nice. Very dry, very scenic, but in WV ALL your tactile senses burst to life with every change of the seasons. We have scenery, climate, deep woodland smells..

You don't get that where you live. I would love to live in CO, but one thing I always told my wife- I would miss the smell of fall in the mountains here.
That's all true and I love those things about West Virginia too, but we were talking about perfect weather. When I picture West Virginia in my mind I always see it in the fall when the leaves are in full color. But when I think very much about it I feel my sinuses swelling up from the humidity.

BTW: I am looking out of my window at a mountain range with peaks over 11,000 feet, and snow year round in places; and covered with Aspen and pine forests with deer and elk running around. Mountain lions yes, but no bears or squirrels. In a short drive I can be in a different season whenever I want. We like to brag that we can snow ski (Mt. Charleston) and water ski (Lake Mead, largest man made body of water in the western hemisphere) in the same day. And it's very rare that I ever get a humidity headache like I had everyday in the east. Once you experience living in a desert climate anything else is just uncomfortable.

As far as perfect weather, the most perfect is in San Diego with Albuquerque possibly second. And the scenery in New Mexico, along with it's four seasons (and great smells), might remind you of West Virginia, but I'm sorry to say it is nicer. And that was really hard for me to admit since I believed for most of my life that the prettiest state was West Virginia. West Virginia is in the top ten, and maybe the top five, but as far as the most beautiful state though, Utah probably wins that title.

Last edited by Buzz123; 07-27-2008 at 02:24 PM..

Old 07-27-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
Hinton, WV. I just returned from a blissfull week of mid 80's and sunshine with low humidity; cool nights of 50, and cool misty mornings with air so sweet and fresh you can't seem to breath enough of it in. Ahhhhhhhhhh
What do you guys consider "low" humidity? It might be pouring the rain down here and the humidity is still less than 50%. It's all relative.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:53 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:

That I cannot handle: my chest tightens up in the presence of wood smoke

Old 07-27-2008, 04:43 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
That's all true and I love those things about West Virginia too, but we were talking about perfect weather. When I picture West Virginia in my mind I always see it in the fall when the leaves are in full color. But when I think very much about it I feel my sinuses swelling up from the humidity.

BTW: I am looking out of my window at a mountain range with peaks over 11,000 feet, and snow year round in places; and covered with Aspen and pine forests with deer and elk running around. Mountain lions yes, but no bears or squirrels. In a short drive I can be in a different season whenever I want. We like to brag that we can snow ski (Mt. Charleston) and water ski (Lake Mead, largest man made body of water in the western hemisphere) in the same day. And it's very rare that I ever get a humidity headache like I had everyday in the east. Once you experience living in a desert climate anything else is just uncomfortable.

As far as perfect weather, the most perfect is in San Diego with Albuquerque possibly second. And the scenery in New Mexico, along with it's four seasons (and great smells), might remind you of West Virginia, but I'm sorry to say it is nicer. And that was really hard for me to admit since I believed for most of my life that the prettiest state was West Virginia. West Virginia is in the top ten, and maybe the top five, but as far as the most beautiful state though, Utah probably wins that title.
Again you're entitled to your opinion, but right now I'm looking out the back deck at the hills of Taylor county, the sky is blue and the humidity is a perfect 50%. My son just cut the grass so that smell permeates the air, wafting along with the smell of grilled venison loin on the weber, cooked under hardwood oak.

I'd say it's damn near perfect. At least your skin won't dry up like a prune here!

Old 07-27-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Again you're entitled to your opinion, but right now I'm looking out the back deck at the hills of Taylor county, the sky is blue and the humidity is a perfect 50%. My son just cut the grass so that smell permeates the air, wafting along with the smell of grilled venison loin on the weber, cooked under hardwood oak.

I'd say it's damn near perfect. At least your skin won't dry up like a prune here!
I've been in Las Vegas most of my life and my skin hasn't dried up like a prune. We have over 330 days of sunshine a year so our skies are always blue and usually not a cloud to be seen, I don't like venison and wouldn't kill an innocent deer anyway unless I was starving to death, the last time I was in West Virginia my cousin had cut the grass, and the smell set off my allergies and gave me bronchitis so bad I had to cut my vacation short and come home, our humidity right now is high for us at 21%, it's a mild 93º at 10:30 at night and it feels like 75º would in the east with your 50% humidity.

I am not putting down West Virginia or what you like in weather and scenery. I'm just saying that when you talk about perfect weather West Virginia is the last place anyone would think of. Most of those who come here to Nevada do so to get away from the weather back east, or at least that's what they say. Our weather isn't perfect but it's way better than any place east of the Rockies. That's usually indisputable by most people who are familiar with the weather in both places. Now if you are talking about the smell of cut grass, well we have grass and trees too, but most of us are switching to beautiful desert landscaping (xeriscape) and we don't waste time (or water) on grass.
Attached Thumbnails
"Perfect" weather in West Virginia?-035.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia