Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2008, 09:18 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post

People who live in WV do NOT want a state like Cal or NY.
I get shivers up my spine just thinking about living there.
However, most of upstate New York has absolutely nothing in common with NYC and would secede from NY if they could.
For example, the upstate areas suffer from an awful tax burden. An example would be Wellsville, NY- a town out on the Allegeny Plateau at 2100ft elevation. I checked a real estate listing that shows a property for sale at around 130K with property taxes of 5.5-6K on top of state income taxes, and an overall high tax burden. It is no wonder why the younger residents flee!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 02:45 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,373,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
However, most of upstate New York has absolutely nothing in common with NYC and would secede from NY if they could.
For example, the upstate areas suffer from an awful tax burden. An example would be Wellsville, NY- a town out on the Allegeny Plateau at 2100ft elevation. I checked a real estate listing that shows a property for sale at around 130K with property taxes of 5.5-6K on top of state income taxes, and an overall high tax burden. It is no wonder why the younger residents flee!
Yea, poor people in the state take all the guff for NYC.

Those taxes are CRAZY!!!!!!

Old 11-30-2008, 08:24 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
And the sad part Granite is the locals keep voting the same bunch of bandits in office again and again. The other sad part is the younger and working age leave, then come to places like Georgia where I am now and start campaigning for similiar yokes down here, wanting more "government", go figure
I lived in NJ for 10 years and loved it, the shore, Philly, NYC, all so close, plus peace and quiet in the SE and NW part of the state. Got to the point when my property taxes hit 8,000 plus per year, 6 years ago, the same house now is 13K per year, we took the transfer to Chicago for a 3 year stint. I used to get so upset election after election, would be active to move the scumbags out, and yet the population goes and votes them back by a landslide, after 90 days and "another surprise" tax increase without a vote, they ask why,

It's a tough question. Of course if your in NH, by your moniker I gather you know the game from all the Bean Town tax lovers coming into Nashua by the droves Running from the Taxation but not losing the thought process.

WV does have an overall tax bite when compared nationally, but low in comparision to the NE.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:21 PM

63 posts, read 200,213 times
uh.. i'm from WEllsville NY originally!! Wow what a surprise to see it mentioned. It's beautiful..just beautiful.. but the taxes aren't worth it, neither is the weather there.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:48 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,312,547 times
I see you are now from Pinch, Wv...that's a great town too...points for that! Crum, Wv and Pinch sort of go together...

Old 12-02-2008, 08:13 AM

63 posts, read 200,213 times
What's even weirder is..Nashua, NH was mentioned next and that's where I moved here from. Pinch was a fluke... and is a Blessing! Three years ago living in Rochester , NY I pointed to the atlas and said..hey we're moving to Pinch,WV ( closeness to dirty spanish words aside)..I liked the name. We always wanted to end up in WV , just didn't know where. A few months back.. after lookng through the classifieds online, only one landlord ended up returning our call. ( Calling from New England state didn't help I guess..I'd shy from renting to out of stater too.so can't blame them )..I didn't know the location at the time.. but lo and behold, turned out to be ta-daa..pinch! WE moved 1000 miles sight unseen...apartment unseen...to a place that has turned out to be more then home. My husband has started an online business after getting his WV LLC. selling records..45's mostly.. with the dream of opening a record store one day somewhere within the state..( let me know if you see any!! in the whole state or any ajoining states!). We love it here. I had a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving...Just sorry about the dreaded weather I seem to have brought in tow..darn clouds keeps following me!

Old 12-02-2008, 09:06 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
My parkersburg granny moved to chatham NY at the end of taconic parkway right alongside mass/vt border. Horse country, dairy farms, quakers, shakers, one traffic light, one dairy queen, 3 churches; sweet as a frank capra film. Yuppies came and every house was martha stewart vintage $300k price tags overnight. Sad. Gentrification is your first sign of trouble. Too bad they didn't have aliceT working for them at the time. Downstate had the same thing happen but they just worked 20hrs more a week in NYC economy to cover the bill. Upstate really didn't have that economic option to compensate.

Ironic thing about upstate taxes was I don't think they knew just how much downstate was subsidizing them all along. When folks fought for more local control with municipalities and r governor pataki came in, he ended the multiple subsidies and gave them what they asked (stuck paying for rural infrastructure alone). Downstate on the other hand was free to upgrade what was already existing with their surplus money (which was theirs all along). Sales tax in NY is a combined fee of state & county, and downstate was paying 8 3/4 cents for years. It never went down much despite surpluses.

I think the worst thing to happen was upstate dairies who were getting subsidy to keep milk prices low for the whole state were basically forced out of business by other dairies trucked in from VA with lesser overhead. Overall result for everyone was negative because milk went up to $3.50 gallon, butter $5, small family farms couldn't compete and crashed, less jobs, money leaving the state, WIC money didn't stretch as far and I believe those deficits had to come out of individual county coffers (raising local taxes even more).
I'll bet if they had it to do over again they'd leave sleeping dogs lie and let the state handle the bigger picture for the greater good. Downstate piggies got used to bigger piles and just got more and more foolish with $$$. IMO too many layers of gov't solving one problem is the open door for ignorance and weasels to reproduce, all the while nothing gets solved. Both parties.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:17 AM

Genesee hope your turkey was tasty.
Plenty of commercial realty available but I think selecting location with high traffic and known musical interests is going to be his best shot.
BTW if he's ever short stock for rare request customers there's a biz in richmond va who can manage to cough up any request I've ever thrown at them. Ask for CC. Their warehouse is huge. Hope that helps him out. Good luck!

Old 12-02-2008, 09:30 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,098 times
Little investment in natural, cultural and athletics outside football....eg., try finding a YMCA in the Eastern Panhandle...the locals recently fought it off...No sidewalks, v. dangerous to walk on curvy roads w/ no shoulders...

Old 12-02-2008, 09:58 AM

Havetosay no doubt taxes are necessary to pay for this that and the other serving a community. Problem is at what level of taxation to pay for what and how long a time line are we talking to pay? If you must have everything now and carrying debt longer has it's own secondary price tag it means steep payback schedules that not everyone in a community can absorb. Slow and steady wins the race. I'm thinking most citizens throughout america would prefer seeing a government behave as they do with their own household budgets. Don't spend more than you make being job one. Unfortunately political seasons being what they are, everyone wants to look like a hero to the detriment of a balanced checkbook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia