Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2008, 08:57 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times

Advertisements

Ah that's alright.. I read it and was like "huh?"..

Oh another thing to expect here- 4 seasons and a little more humidity, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 4,421 times
Default Surprise Jewel

Coming from western PA and a culture of keep to yourself people (there are exceptions with wonderful people everywhere--of course), my husband and I found, in West Virginia and Mountain Maryland, some of the most open and friendly people we have ever met (except for Texas).My husband and I went to Deep Creek Lake twice this summer for three days each. We went to this area knowing nothing and because I looked at the Atlas and said "this here looks like a good spot Mister." The second time at Deep Creek we planned a visit to Seneca caverns via Rt. 219 south. During the trip down I thought to myself I hope these caverns are worth it because I never cared for what little I've seen of west virginia and hate it even worse now. So after worrying about my car breaks descending on Rt. 33, we come upon this georgeous little corner with a front porch restuarant and a view of Seneca Rocks. Now, I've driven across the U.S. a few times and, except for Interstate 68 through Maryland don't care much for anything east of San Antonio ( I do like the Mississippi Delta area). One of the things I love about life is the surprises it throws at you when you think you know everything you love and dislike. This West Virginia place was so beautiful and I thought thank God something made that drive down rt 32 and 33 worth it. We got to the canyons and the people were very nice, but we didn't care for the caverns. I couldn't wait to leave to get back to Deep Creek.
On the way back I was frazzled and thought about how much I hated the drive (I do the driving). I got this strange thought that I hadn't hated a drive this much since I drove through El Paso. Uh oh---I thought. You know what happened after you were far away from Texas--You realized you fell in love and it was El Paso what done it to ya. No--I thought--I really don't like W. Virginia.
So when we got back to our little hotel and napped I found myself dreaming of the wind turbines, the twisty, turning road, the beauty of those Seneca rocks, the front porch restuarant and gift shop and the beautiful valley we drove through to get to the Seneca Caverns. I wanted to go right back.
During my first drive from PA to California in '98 in an '85 Pontiac 6000 with a bad transmission I wondered why anyone would want to live anyplace other than by the water, then I met the desert and fell in love. What little I knew. I never could understand why John Denver wrote that song about W. Virginia, but now I understand. I'm getting tears in my eyes. I'm only two hours away. I can't wait to go back.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:17 PM

300 posts, read 819,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allyg88 View Post
Hello,
I'm moving to Waverly/Ogden WV for school in March from Scottsdale Arizona and basically would just like to know what to expect. Thanks
Scottsdale is a cultural oasis . . a self-proclaimed mecca for art, and there are some great places to eat unless you want Vietnamese, and then I think there are only half a dozen of those in the whole of the Phoenix Valley. It might sound like comparing Arizona to West Virginia is apples to oranges, but when I originally lived in Scottsdale, it was sand from Camelback Mountain to Apache Junction. The Flagstaff I first knew was a gunslinging mining town and I slept outside with wild Indians, wolves, and I'm not exaggerating. Sedona then was a roadside trinket stand.

Just pointing out that things changed there.

Over time, Scottsdale and the development of the Phoenix Valley, was caused in part by people escaping higher cost of living areas, and it cultivated being a winter tourist area for snow birds, etc. Los Angeles airport is full of Asians dressed like cowboys returning home. It is my belief, you'll have mass evacuations in the future into areas like West Virginia as an economic timebomb is ticking for baby boomers. At present though, the trickle has only begun, and West Virginia is the second poorest state in the country. It's more like the Arizona I knew then . . so there is apple to apple comparison. Haven't found any wild Indians yet, but there is as much beauty as you want to look at.

As mentioned, West Virginia has a higher gas tax, so for example, today you're paying $2.66 there, we're paying $2.73 here. Your "Frys" discount card here works at "Krogers", and if you like pistachios, you should buy a boat load of Arizona grown and sold at Frys, because they are almost twice the cost here. For some reason, Mexico is closer to West Virginia than Arizona, and this anomaly is proved by looking at our grocer shelves, with the exception of milk and smuckers jelly which are imported from Ohio.

The Scottsdale I knew a few years ago had awful water, and showers would sometimes give me rhinoceros hide because there was so much bleach . . it's not great water here in Charleston, but it's not terrible like there. Regardless, I use bottled water for coffee and cooking. As for things to do in West Virginia, well . . downshifting is required. You'd be hard-pressed to find something to do after 11pm, or something to do anyway compared to other places. On the upside, unlike most high population areas in this country, people still look each other in the eyes and strangers still say hello.

One of my hobbies is getting lost, and that's an easy hobby to fall into in this state. Strongly suggest having a compass, although I'm not sure it will do any good. People from here never admit to being lost, only confused about where they are for a week or two. Eventually, when found, they're asked, "Were you lost?" They always reply, "Nope, only confused." Occasionally though, someone will go white water rafting, most likely drowning, carried down the river into Ohio, and on to the Mississippi. In these instances everyone concurs, "That person is lost!"

Hard to believe, but I don't miss 120F in summer there, but I always miss the beauty. Say hello for me.

One of my paintings . .

Last edited by red.ochre; 06-16-2009 at 03:41 PM..

Old 06-16-2009, 07:51 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by americuss View Post
Coming from western PA and a culture of keep to yourself people (there are exceptions with wonderful people everywhere--of course), my husband and I found, in West Virginia and Mountain Maryland, some of the most open and friendly people we have ever met (except for Texas).My husband and I went to Deep Creek Lake twice this summer for three days each. We went to this area knowing nothing and because I looked at the Atlas and said "this here looks like a good spot Mister." The second time at Deep Creek we planned a visit to Seneca caverns via Rt. 219 south. During the trip down I thought to myself I hope these caverns are worth it because I never cared for what little I've seen of west virginia and hate it even worse now. So after worrying about my car breaks descending on Rt. 33, we come upon this georgeous little corner with a front porch restuarant and a view of Seneca Rocks. Now, I've driven across the U.S. a few times and, except for Interstate 68 through Maryland don't care much for anything east of San Antonio ( I do like the Mississippi Delta area). One of the things I love about life is the surprises it throws at you when you think you know everything you love and dislike. This West Virginia place was so beautiful and I thought thank God something made that drive down rt 32 and 33 worth it. We got to the canyons and the people were very nice, but we didn't care for the caverns. I couldn't wait to leave to get back to Deep Creek.
On the way back I was frazzled and thought about how much I hated the drive (I do the driving). I got this strange thought that I hadn't hated a drive this much since I drove through El Paso. Uh oh---I thought. You know what happened after you were far away from Texas--You realized you fell in love and it was El Paso what done it to ya. No--I thought--I really don't like W. Virginia.
So when we got back to our little hotel and napped I found myself dreaming of the wind turbines, the twisty, turning road, the beauty of those Seneca rocks, the front porch restuarant and gift shop and the beautiful valley we drove through to get to the Seneca Caverns. I wanted to go right back.
During my first drive from PA to California in '98 in an '85 Pontiac 6000 with a bad transmission I wondered why anyone would want to live anyplace other than by the water, then I met the desert and fell in love. What little I knew. I never could understand why John Denver wrote that song about W. Virginia, but now I understand. I'm getting tears in my eyes. I'm only two hours away. I can't wait to go back.
What a nice post (although I was wondering at times). Thanks for sharing.

Canaan Valley, Fayetteville area, and Greenbrier County are really gorgeous.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:12 PM

275 posts, read 707,659 times
I <3 wv.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:57 PM

18 posts, read 111,272 times
Smile gotta love them west virginia hills

There is a stigma associated with West Virginia that most of America has....subconsciously of course. They may travel through the state and awe at the sites but it is just too inconvenient to live there. Heck, I was raised there but when I go on vacation, I am in awe of the narrow roads and lack of shoulders. Mostly, I think, it IS the economy. I went to the service in 75 and two years later, got out with an honorable discharge, thank you very much, but couldnt find a good job. There were roofer jobs and the like but to land a good paying job meant college and I just didnt have the want to there. So I decided to travel and ended up with a good wife who is from Texas and now we have grandkids here so that ends the idea of me getting to live up there full time. It has been an eye opening experience to move away....(82).....and be homesick most of the time BUT as time goes by, I am not AS homesick as I was.
I am aware of the four lane roads that have been built since I left and YES, they do link us up better city to city but to get back into the hills where I was raised or where most people live, you still gotta hit the crooked runs ....isnt that correct?

Old 06-17-2009, 12:00 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
Those Crooked Runs diminish each year...real mountain privacy is getting more difficult as time goes by.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:15 AM

58 posts, read 135,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeseeking View Post
I've been researching a place to call home for some time now, and I have to say that West Virginia is sounding more and more like the number one spot on my list

But I have a serious question here, why don't more people want to move to WV? What makes people leave? I realize I am luckier than most in my career (registered nurse) and can pretty much find a job somewhere, is the economy why people don't flock to WV? The weather?

I lived in Vermont for many years so I understand the 10 mile drives to go one mile as the crow flies and the hills/ice/winter driving. I think I can handle the WV winters unless there is something no one is telling lol

So why doesnt everyone want to move to WV?
my husband & I left WV because we could not make any money where we were living in southren WV. My husband has a masters degree and was only making 24,000 a year. We moved and now we own our own business. I would go back if I could and we have every intention of doing so, some day.........................................

Old 06-18-2009, 11:05 AM

170 posts, read 369,644 times
I moved to WV from Nothern VA for the house prices. I am not thrilled with it here for many reasons. We are in a very small town, Inwood. My hubby works in VA still and there is no way I can work anywhere in WV and make enough to live. I do have to commute to Northern VA. I saw a post for an admin assist. the other day for $13,000 per year. I almost cried!

Other things I dont like, all the strip clubs, bars, trailer homes. I worked in Martinsburg for a short time, making 29k year as a legal secretary (that is very high for the area) and had an 8 mile commute, in that drive I passed 9 bars and strip clubs, 5 used car lots (including front yards of houses) and 4 or 5 yucky trailer "parks". It was an ugly drive...

Now, the economy is even worse, there are NO jobs out here, except retail at $6/hr. House prices are in the toilet....I cant wait to get out of here.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:40 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsclark View Post
I moved to WV from Nothern VA for the house prices. I am not thrilled with it here for many reasons. We are in a very small town, Inwood. My hubby works in VA still and there is no way I can work anywhere in WV and make enough to live. I do have to commute to Northern VA. I saw a post for an admin assist. the other day for $13,000 per year. I almost cried!

Other things I dont like, all the strip clubs, bars, trailer homes. I worked in Martinsburg for a short time, making 29k year as a legal secretary (that is very high for the area) and had an 8 mile commute, in that drive I passed 9 bars and strip clubs, 5 used car lots (including front yards of houses) and 4 or 5 yucky trailer "parks". It was an ugly drive...

Now, the economy is even worse, there are NO jobs out here, except retail at $6/hr. House prices are in the toilet....I cant wait to get out of here.
See ya
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia