U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 10:23 PM

52 posts, read 167,661 times

Advertisements

Well, we decided on the cooler mountain areas, somewhere around the Canaan Valley area of West Virginia to relocate to.

Land I find is hovering around 20 grand an acre. Is this usual? I used to hear that WV had relatively inexpensive land. Was this incorect, or is it just this price in the mountains? (I used to think that the price would be LESS away from the bigger cities)?

We were looking for two to twenty acres, depending on price.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 03:54 AM

4,714 posts, read 12,748,697 times
Realtors began a push with properties in the late 80's and 90's...our Wv propertys are pretty much comparable to other states and areas...deals exist, however...I know a couple of hippy's who came here from California 8 years ago...drove around for a few days...talked to an old farmer and bought his 250 acre farm with barns, buildings, house and equipment for 100k.

Built a new house and turned the old home, which had been built during the civil war into a guest house for visiting friends and relatives.
That was what I admired about them the most..saving that old home instead of tearing it down.
They are very happy to be here...have cattle, a big garden and she works over in DC, via computer...goes over about twice a month to let them know that she is alive...'bout time to drop in and say hello...

Old 07-26-2008, 06:54 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,744,921 times
Well, The canaan area being one of my busiest tourism part of the state naturally has higher property prices due to the high demand for seasonal homes. $20,000 an acre sounds about right, that is not on the steep side, thats about average. Why not look a little closer to Elkins??? Say the Bowden (33 East between Elkins and Harman or Montrose ( 219 North between Elkins and Parsons) areas.... Still in the mountains, far enough away from Elkins, yet close enough if you need something, and a lot cheaper land

Old 07-26-2008, 07:58 AM

16,841 posts, read 19,598,367 times
^ Man that's where I'd like to be. If I could telecommute for my job this place in Bridgeport would be on the market like *snap*, now.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:35 AM

Caanan is getting some of the pressure from Deep Creek Lake...check out a building lot over there...
20k an acre? seems reasonable...What do you think it costs to get power, water, a road and sewage to a home site...birds don't fly that in you know...I will cost someone to do that...we are farm selling land near Corbin Branch (Bridgeport area)for 20k per acre and have no complaints yet...It's about what the market will bear in price..In Hawaii when land was still selling on Ohau..it was sold by the square foot...not the acre.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:00 AM

I paid 5,000 an acre in South Berkeley in 1997. Bordered two creeks. At the high point in 2005, land in our subdivision was going for $30,000 p/acre, lol.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:32 AM

Soon, even getting an acre will be a memory of the past...like buying an entire farm...

last year I told the story here in this forum about an issue of 'Eminant Domain in Portland...28 acre subdivision built in the late 70's with 32 homes..city annexed and took it all, razed the homes to intall 800 townhouses...'Beneficial Public Land Use' would generate more money...800 sewage taps and fees, 800 water taps and fees...TV cable and EMS surcharge, ect...
Get the idea?

We are not there yet, but we could get there in a hurry if DC had to be evacuated for one reason or another..all those people will not want to live sequestered barracks-style in the bottom of some building..

Old 07-26-2008, 02:59 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,744,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Soon, even getting an acre will be a memory of the past...like buying an entire farm...

last year I told the story here in this forum about an issue of 'Eminant Domain in Portland...28 acre subdivision built in the late 70's with 32 homes..city annexed and took it all, razed the homes to intall 800 townhouses...'Beneficial Public Land Use' would generate more money...800 sewage taps and fees, 800 water taps and fees...TV cable and EMS surcharge, ect...
Get the idea?

We are not there yet, but we could get there in a hurry if DC had to be evacuated for one reason or another..all those people will not want to live sequestered barracks-style in the bottom of some building..
Hmm, my grandfather has about 1,300 acres between Elkins and Canaan Valley... by the time I inherit my 1/3 of that... I wonder what an acre will be going for

Old 07-26-2008, 04:27 PM

Make sure you cut out 40 for me. I've got the mule.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:31 AM

55 posts, read 224,331 times
Land around Snowshoe in the off-mountain developments, generally 2-5 acre tracks, is running around $35-$40K per acre. Average paid last year for a homesite in the area was $89K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia