Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 04:34 AM

240 posts, read 732,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hltsarasota View Post
We are also planning to move to WV. Would like to know more about Princeton. We are just retired. Is there good shopping there? Are part-time jobs available there? Would appreciate any info.

Jobs are hard to come by. It depends on what field you're in. Health care is a good bet.

There is a mall near Bluefield and Walmart and Lowes in Princeton. Lots of chain restaurants near the interstate.

The housing market is very good. There are new homes being built that would cost three times the amount in any other state. And older homes that are going for practically nothing.

Two hospitals, Princeton Community Hospital and Bluefield Regional Medical Center.

Climate is temperate discounting this hot dry summer. They give out free lemonade in Bluefield when the temperature goes over 90. Usually there is a couple significant snowfalls in the winter but for the past few years we haven't had much. I didn't miss a day of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 07:20 PM

70 posts, read 159,761 times
I travel the entire state for work (I live in Charleston) and there are certain areas that have always made a good impression on me.

Charleston, more specifically, Corridor G/South Ridge area
Hurricane/Teays/Winfield (I absolutely love this area)
Morgantown
Lewisburg
Princeton/Bluefield
Parkersburg
Wheeling

Older homes are, as stated earlier, dirt cheap in most all of these areas and new homes are very affordable. If you want a really out in the middle of nowhere experience, go check out the Petersburg/Franklin area or Webster Springs.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:22 PM

36 posts, read 125,377 times
WV is alright if i had to live thier it would be in Charleston because it tends to be very Necky i have family in Smaller counties and its beatuiful when you visit but living thier is completely different.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:22 AM

6 posts, read 24,407 times
I live in Gilmer county. we have a DBWD on 1.35 acres, newly remodeled, out of flood zone, rural but 15 min. from state park, state college,>Glenville is the county seat-small but friendly. We have priced our property for $79,900.00. Call 304-462-5472 or email [email]Mshook@rtol.net[/email]

Old 03-11-2008, 06:35 PM

6 posts, read 25,454 times
Ok fair warning to all.... stay away from the northern panhandle of WV... I have lived there my entire life (i've travelled to other parts of WV regularly also) but it is terrible... economy sucks... broken down houses and dirty streets. The air is polluted by smog from local power plants etc. Wheeling is probably the worst. If you do have to move to Northern Panhandle- try to move to Bellaire or Bridgeport Ohio. Both are nice little towns that are just across the Ohio river (10 minute) drive from WV Northern Panhandle. For southern WV... I agree with what someone else said- give bluefield a try.. probably one of the best areas in WV. Charleston isn't bad but it isn't the cleanest either.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,719 times
I am a native West Virginian planning to move back after 20+ yrs in Orlando. Country roads are taking me home. Huntington is my destination and they have Marshall, the arts, the river and many other things to do there. The old homes are gorgeous and very reasonable. Just my two cents...good luck!

Old 01-09-2011, 04:06 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
Welcome back, Irish!

Old 01-09-2011, 07:34 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times
Welcome back to Huntington Irish.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,673 times
I am from Indianapolis Indiana. Flat land. Lots of housing. Some shopping. Nothing outdoors/recreational but malls, movies, and an occasional good meal with a DECENT price. I am seeking culture. Something to do. Nice people. Affordable housing. In the service still and enjoy history. An occasional nite get-out would be nice with the misses. Something to keep us young and safe without driving all over the place... Any ideas... [email]rjaso@purdue.edu[/email] if you would like to help.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:40 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times
Check out Huntington. Huntington is the flattest city in the state and the only planned city. We have plenty of things to do here with great parks, a growing number of trails, cultural events, concerts and the events that Marshall University provides. The Huntington area is home to the largest shopping mall in the state and also has a growing number of shops downtown and at Pullman Square, which is home to the largest movie theater in the state. We have lots of great restaurants and as for housing, we have a large variety in the area from older homes in the city to newer subdivisions just a few miles out. If you have any questions about Huntington, be sure to ask. Here are some links that may help you as you look:

Community Information

Huntington Quarterly | Articles | Issue 72 | 50 Things We Love

Cabell Huntington Convention and Visitors Bureau highlighting Huntington, Barboursvil

http://www.youtube.com/user/visithun.../4/xqOAEit_pS0

Why Huntington WV

The Greater Huntington Community Web Portal

Greater Huntington Park and Recreation District

Concerts/Theater/Sporting Events

The Huntington Symphony Orchestra

Huntington Museum of Art | Huntington, WV

The Marshall University Department of Theatre

The Marshall University Department of Music |

Marshall Artists Series (http://www.marshall.edu/muartser/video_games_live.asp - broken link)

Big Sandy Superstore Arena - Huntington, WV

Huntington Funny Bone

The V Club Night Club | Live Music | Huntington WV | www.vclublive.com

The Marshall University Thundering Herd Official Athletic Site

Shopping

http://www.huntingtonmall.com/home/index.ch2

Pullman Square - Shop, Dine, Enjoy.

Some of Our Great Local Restaurants

GOOD EATS: 21 at the Frederick downtown's best kept secret - The Herald Dispatch

Huntington Prime

Frankie D's Italian Chophouse Huntington WV at Pullman Square

Jewel City Seafood

Savannah's Restaurant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia