Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 08:21 PM

4 posts, read 7,995 times

Advertisements

I recommend Huntington and/or Charleston West Virginia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 09:10 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,062,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr0412 View Post
i have been thinking about moving to west virginia, i currently live in new york and new york is way to crowded for me, I am looking for the hospitality of west virginia but still some amenities within driving distances, 4 towns i have looked at are Bridgeport and Fairmont, Elkins and Cheat Lake, if anyone could give me some info on them it would be appreciated

Thanks
West Virginians are all Appalachians, but each area is distinct from the others. I am familiar with the whole state (I worked for state government here for a period), and also lived in the NYC area (northern suburbs) for many years. I believe you'd be most comfortable in the North Central area (Morgantown-Fairmont-Clarksburg), especially Morgantown since it has the most cosmopolitan atmosphers. It is also home to many New York ex-patriots since it is the location of the state's major doctoral level university.

In addition, although considerably more laid back than NYC it is reasonably close to a major city (Pittsburgh) and only 3 hours from Washington and Baltimore when you feel the need to spend time in a larger city. We have the state's lowest unemployment rate and jobs are relatively plentiful here.
We also have a lively arts and entertainment scene, are close to outstanding outdoor venues, and far and away the best athletics offerings.

I do suggest that you visit the other areas too before making up your mind. Take a look at what each has to offer, read the local papers, travel around the neighborhoods, drive around the outskirts of the towns, and talk with some local residents. Then make up your own mind. All of us here have a tendency to promote our own agendas so it is better if you look first and form your own impressions.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:24 AM

1 posts, read 862 times
Hi, my husband could be relocating to Centre Point, ... were British, have two children aged 3 and 6 both female, can anyone recommend where to live, here in the UK we live in a small village/town, low crime rate. where is best for family living, near shops, leisure centre, parks etc etc, with good schools, not keen on city living, prefer the outskirts,. it's a bit of a mind field knowing what areas are good and what areas are no so good.... any help would be very welcome and appreciated. thank you

Old 01-09-2012, 07:42 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,062,139 times
If you're talking about Center Point, West Virginia that is nearest to Clarksburg. Kennedy... any suggestions for this lady there?

Old 01-09-2012, 09:29 AM

63 posts, read 82,473 times
west virginia is a nice state to live in, although i never been there but i know its nice because my teacher is from west v and she says how cheap it is out there, and how country it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia