Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 02:02 AM

1 posts, read 14,853 times

Advertisements

i have been thinking about moving to west virginia, i currently live in new york and new york is way to crowded for me, I am looking for the hospitality of west virginia but still some amenities within driving distances, 4 towns i have looked at are Bridgeport and Fairmont, Elkins and Cheat Lake, if anyone could give me some info on them it would be appreciated

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 03:26 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,207 times
I'd advise a move to Brideport, Cheat Lake, or Elkins. Fairmont is rather slummy and nothing much going on there. I lived there for about a year and I hated it! I live in Elkins now and its pretty cool. Its a little smaller than Fairmont but a lot nicer in my opinion. Elkins is the doorstep to a myriad of recreational oppourtunities. Cheat Lake is somewhat like this too. The Monongalia Nat. Forest is just outside the city and the headquaters are located near the college in Elkins. There are also 3 ski resorts within an hours drive, and endless other oppourtunities. If you're not so much into the outdoors. Elkins has a lot of fine arts to enjoy, with playhouses, and the randolph county community arts center. Brideport offers more shopping though. Bridgeport is home to the regional mall. I would recommend you take about a weeks vacation and visit the area. Start with Cheat Lake, and then take I-79 down to Fairmont, then to Brideport, then take US 33 to Elkins I'm sure you'll enjoy your visit, and by visiting you'll be able to tell which community fits you best GOOD LUCK! and welcome to the mountain state

Old 03-31-2007, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 17,741 times
Default Looking for Mayberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr0412 View Post
i have been thinking about moving to west virginia, i currently live in new york and new york is way to crowded for me, I am looking for the hospitality of west virginia but still some amenities within driving distances, 4 towns i have looked at are Bridgeport and Fairmont, Elkins and Cheat Lake, if anyone could give me some info on them it would be appreciated

Thanks
Same here! NY and FL are both too crowded and I'm looking for relief. And, everybody's in a hurry.

My search began by looking at which states still honor the 2nd Amendment. Climate and economy were important factors. WV Crime rate was so low in some places I didn't believe it. Like so many others, I'm looking for Mayberry! Economics is very important because I'm on a fixed income. WV has been the winner in so many aspects. I'm planning to visit there on my way up north. Soon!

Shinnston is one town on the list. So is Lumberport. And it looks like there are is a lot to offer in nearby Clarksburg. And a WalMart. On the other hand, being close to state borders could be a tax advantage for shopping, ya think?

Then I was intrigued by Hundred. Supposedly the name came because originally it was 100 miles from nowhere. I like that idea a lot! But in reality, having to travel 35 miles to get groceries, pills or an oil change might not be a great idea. Like: Oh, I forgot to buy milk. That could be a problem!

Perhaps some of you kind folks here could send some advice about this? I sure could use the help!

Old 03-31-2007, 12:22 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
Default Hundred

I grew up in Wetzel County, about 15-20 miles from Hundred. It's named after one of the early settlers, Henry Church, who lived to be 109... his wife, lived to be 106. (Info from Wikipedia)

There's probably a convenience store for milk & bread, but you will be looking at a 20-25 minute drive to New Martinsville for anything more. You'd be just south of Pennsylvania, which (at least currently) does not apply sales tax to food or clothing.

Elkins is nice, I'm not as down on the Fairmont area as GottaHerdOn is, but my personal favorite area is the Marlinton-Lewisburg-Ronceverte stretch of US-219, in the southeastern part of the state.

Snorpus

Old 03-31-2007, 02:44 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,207 times
Don't get me wrong, Fairmont had its fair share of greatness. It just wasn't for me though. Especially its infrastructure was really lagging for its population. Friday traffic was horrible. Getting from the downtown/college campus area to interstate 79 the south exit which was probably a distance of no more than 6 or 7 miles could take in excess of 40-45 minutes. A two lane highway/street was just not able to handle the bulk of traffic. Also the crime was too high in my opinion for a city of that size. I remember seeing fliers of a memorial service for a girl that was murdered there the year before, and I heard a story from another girls mother who was shot and murderd less than a block away from campus. So for me Fairmont just wasn't right, it may be for you and there are a lot of great things about Fairmont. The only way you can tell for yourself is to visit it. I would check out downtown too, it was very nice.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:14 PM

22 posts, read 115,704 times
Ok...if you are moving to WV from NYC then you really need to move around the Charleston or Huntington area so to avoid culture shock...prefer the Charleston area. Plenty to do with GREAT neighboorhoods (either you want 100k housing area or 300k+ both exist). If you want the smaller town and close to the city try Dunbar, South Charleston, Madison....all great and another perk is that Madison isn't so dependent upon Charleston like the others are...it has its own stores and shops.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:05 PM

82 posts, read 354,933 times
Default Charleston

I've passed through Charleston on the the freeway from Iowa to Virginia and vice versa, and it made a good impression on me. You come over the mountains and there is a nice city sitting there between the hills looking pleasant. The winters are mild according to City-Data.com. Summers could be worse for 38 degrees latitude. West Virginia probably isn't too progressive, but the Charleston area must be a little more so than W.V. as a whole. For those who like living in places where most people are of European ancestry, not that they would have to have anything against minorities, would be comfortable in West Virginia because new census data recently released says West Virginia is one of the whitest states. Wv4life's idea for you to move to the Charleston area is probably a good idea since you are coming from the New York area, unless you know what it is like to live somewhere more rural or really want to try anyway. I've lived in the country and in the Chicago area, and I could be happy in a city or the country and you may be happy in the country coming from a city. I hope that my post is relevant since I'm not a West Virginian!

Old 05-20-2007, 11:38 PM

117 posts, read 214,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshisname View Post
Same here! NY and FL are both too crowded and I'm looking for relief. And, everybody's in a hurry.

My search began by looking at which states still honor the 2nd Amendment. Climate and economy were important factors. WV Crime rate was so low in some places I didn't believe it. Like so many others, I'm looking for Mayberry! Economics is very important because I'm on a fixed income. WV has been the winner in so many aspects. I'm planning to visit there on my way up north. Soon!

Shinnston is one town on the list. So is Lumberport. And it looks like there are is a lot to offer in nearby Clarksburg. And a WalMart. On the other hand, being close to state borders could be a tax advantage for shopping, ya think?

Then I was intrigued by Hundred. Supposedly the name came because originally it was 100 miles from nowhere. I like that idea a lot! But in reality, having to travel 35 miles to get groceries, pills or an oil change might not be a great idea. Like: Oh, I forgot to buy milk. That could be a problem!

Perhaps some of you kind folks here could send some advice about this? I sure could use the help!
If you want Mayberry or something uncivilized ya btter get on down to MACK-Dowell county and live in Davy or Welch then. Just dont move to black as hell Keystone or Gary.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:40 PM

117 posts, read 214,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
I grew up in Wetzel County, about 15-20 miles from Hundred. It's named after one of the early settlers, Henry Church, who lived to be 109... his wife, lived to be 106. (Info from Wikipedia)

There's probably a convenience store for milk & bread, but you will be looking at a 20-25 minute drive to New Martinsville for anything more. You'd be just south of Pennsylvania, which (at least currently) does not apply sales tax to food or clothing.

Elkins is nice, I'm not as down on the Fairmont area as GottaHerdOn is, but my personal favorite area is the Marlinton-Lewisburg-Ronceverte stretch of US-219, in the southeastern part of the state.

Snorpus
Ronceverte? you have got to be kidding. Ronceverte is Pennsylvania-ish, Town in a trance, very strange.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 14,487 times
Default living in fairmont after L.A.

I grew up in Los Angles and surrounding suburbs and after a long cross country trip and an even longer story ended up in Fairmont WV. The traffic can be be horrible (just think one way in one way out) down town has nothing going on, Fairmont U is a nice campus but small, Super Walmart is 24 hours as well as mc donalds but nothing else is except the gas stations, 2 movie theaters, one that is almost never open but beatiful 1920's and one that is decent near the wal mart. Nothing going on to speak of, famers market and the three rivers festival.....whoo, BUT it is 12 mi from morgantown, 12 mi from clarksburg, about an hour from pittsburgh just a straight shot on I 79 real easy drive, 20 min to tygart lake or valley falls an hour to audra for camping, cost of property is a lot lower than surrounding areas. You can move to Morgantown and have the same traffic and spend twice as much buying a home but have a little night life ar move to bridge port and have no night life but all the shopping and resturants and still pay through the nose for a cheesy little ranch style house or live in fairmont and if you are like me and like to drive have it all and pay next to nothing for two story with a huge yard. I would discourage moving too far out of a city in this area unless you awn a 4 wheel drive and show chains it can be hard to get around in the winter on the back roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia