Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 8,968 times

Advertisements

I am seriously considering to move to Parkersburg area from near New York city. However, it looks like an island in land 4~7 hour car drive from major big cities. I've checked out several things about this area from existing threads. But, I still look for more clear pictures. Anything different compared to other rural areas? Detail information about schools would be very much appreciated since I have two middle school kids. What about the shopping? Any big malls or department stores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 03:15 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,989,661 times
My bf is from Parkersburg. It has a decent size regional mall there. I believe its only about 2 hours at the most from Columbus and about the same to Pittsburgh

Old 01-24-2007, 09:17 PM

47 posts, read 190,643 times
Hello, I live just 25 minutes outside of Parkersburg. I currently teach 5th grade at a local Christian School in Parkersburg. Compared to New York City this is a drastic change but not necessarily a bad one. We have friendly folks around here who are willing to help people out. The cost of living is low but the jobs aren't overly abundant either. However, the state of Ohio just raised minimum wage and since they are just across the river from us we are hoping that helps us somehow. We have decent schools here. This link should tell you a little more about them.
http://www.parkersburg-wv.com/pages/...aryschools.htm
If you are interested in private schools for your children we have two that I can think of. Wood County Christian School which is in Williamstown a few miles away and Parkersburg Christian School which is in Parkersburg.

There is a mall in the town of Vienna and if you go to this link you can see what stores they offer there. http://www.grandcentralmall.com/ The town of Vienna is treated by most as a part of Parkersburg. We have plenty of restaurants around here. Also a theatre if you are into live plays. http://www.smoot-theatre.com/

The city of Marietta Ohio is just up the road about 25 minutes and there are things to do there as well. If you are an outdoors person we have the North Bend Rail Trail http://www.wvparks.com/northbendrailtrail/ This is absolutely beautiful! I live close to this and never tire of seeing the tunnels and changing scenery!

Columbus Ohio is about a 2.5 hour drive away, Lancaster Ohio is about 1.5 hours away and these are the two big Ohio cities closeby. In West Virginia we have Charleston, our capital about 40 minutes away and Clarksburg is just about 1.5 hours away. Both of these cities have plenty of shopping to keep a person content in my opinion.

I hope this has been of some help to you. If you have specific questions I'd be happy to help
Marilyn

Old 01-25-2007, 08:19 PM

2 posts, read 8,968 times
Thank you very much for your info GottaHerdOn and WV_Proud. Especially WV Proud, thanks for those links. I appreciate it.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:42 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
Hows the crime in Parkersburg? I read that it was "average" and not a real concern. Thats good that theres alot of shopping, is there a super walmart? What about dollar stores, mcdonalds, burger king, and department stores as well as petstores? Hows the house affordability? It appears to be about 1.5x more expensive than Oil city, but still cheap enough.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:48 PM

69 posts, read 394,073 times
Parkersburg is a nice little city along the Ohio River, but I like the outlying areas better. My friends I have from that area actually live across the river in Belpre, OH. When looking at the area, consider Vienna, Williamstown, and the Ohio side as well. Parkersburg is not far from Columbus, OH either...a city I love!

Old 02-05-2007, 04:13 PM

3 posts, read 21,722 times
Default Parkersburg

I live in in the Parkersburg are now. I suppose technically I live in Vienna. It is one of those deals where the towns are connected and as you leave Parkersburg into Vienna, if you didn't see the sign, you'd never know it. Actually, the greater area includes the following areas:
Parkersburg - an old Victorian oil boom town. It is a well run town of just under 40 thousand.
Vienna - I think there are just under 17K in Vienna. This is where the "Parkersburg" mall is. Vienna is a bedroom community with a lot of shopping.
Williamstown - is about 8 miles north of Vienna.
Belpre Ohio - Another bedroom community.
Marietta Ohio - Great college town. Probably the best downtown in the group. Nice old downtown style shopping with a few nice restaurants.

There are roughly 140-160K in the MSA, and while its nothing in comparison to NYC, it certainly isn't Petticoat Junction either.

There is a mall and thriving shopping area in Parkersburg. The anchor stores are Belk, Sears, Elder-Beerman, and JC Penny. There are some decent restaurants (both chain and local).

You are probably most wrong about the proximity to other urban areas. Parkersburg is 2 hours from downtown Columbus. You don't get much bigger. Columbus is the 15th largest city in the US. There is a ton of shopping and dining etc there. The greatest thing is that 2 hours isn't a bad drive and you can get up in the morning, go to Columbus and be home in bed after a full day of shopping eating or whatever. All in the relative safety of your WV bedroom. Pittsburgh is about 2.5 hours away. Another great town to visit. Cleveland is a bit more at about 3 hours and Cincy is a bit further. Charleston WV is 1 hour south and has a lot of shopping etc.

There is a thriving arts community (albeit small and local) in Parkersburg. They especially take care of the kids, and the kids programs are top notch.

Most smaller cities are described as "Family Friendly" but it is really true with Parkersburg. The youth sports programs are incredibly well supported. The schools are the tops in the state. In fact, PHS was selected by Sports Illustrated as the 13th best High School sports program in the US. This filters right down to the commitment to the kids.

There are the private schools mentioned above, plus Parkersburg Catholic. PC is a great parochial school serving all of the areas.

WV in general is the adventure capital of the US. Whitewater rafting is amazing a few hours south on the Gauley and New Rivers. There is no better mountain biking in the US.

I mentioned safety above because WV consistently ranks among the top 5 in lowest crime rates. For the longest time I kept a Saturday morning newspaper after I moved here, the headline:
"28 Mailboxes Vandalized" That was the big bold headline for that day. Some kids knocking mailboxes down. And they got told on and had to turn themselves in.

I can imagine there would be a degree of culture shock coming here. however, most people who talk about life in NYC rarely get to go to Broadway or the opera. My family goes to NYC once a year and sees a play or two and maybe a museum. I would argue that that is really all the NYC I will ever need.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:03 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
Parkersburg looks like a good alternative to Oil city, thanks! I like the shopping and community of that city and the surrounding areas have lots of people so I wont be bored and loney! The weather is also a little milder than Oil city. How bad is the crime? Oil city has 160 crime index, Parkersburg has 350!

Old 02-12-2007, 04:21 AM

47 posts, read 190,643 times
On our local news this morning they gave a website out that I thought might be helpful to anyone considering making Parkersburg home. That site is www.greaterparkersburg.com

Marilyn

Old 04-02-2007, 10:21 PM

5 posts, read 33,903 times
Parkersburg area is a pretty good area not a large area but still has some large city problems and advantages at the same time. The business scene is not booming other then restaurants, and jobs other then minimum wage are hard to find. The crime in parkersburg in the past few years has become worse with a lot of drug and gang problems in the area which the police dont seem to know how to combat but the problems dont seem to be effecting anyone who is not involved in the legal activities. Schools in the area are good if you want a child to play sports then PHS is the way to go but they are more of an inner-city school vibe with the same problems and Parkersburg South is more of the country kids while Parkersburg Catholic is a very good school and I have not heard of any problems from that. The area overall even tho a poor area, I think it is still a good place to raise a family as long as you dont live in certain neighborhoods in parkersburg and vienna so make sure you research that first but williamstown, boaz, and outlying areas are always good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia