Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 06:04 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
When asked why the roads in WV were so bad, a former gov, I think it was Underwood in his first term, said it takes so much more money to build roads in WV than in other states. I don't buy that. I think WV politicians steal the money.
Underwood's first term was in 1956. Uh, I think the road situation in WV has changed dramatically since then.

I travel around WV a lot and I think we have pretty darned good roads. I was surprised when I read your statement.

Also, do you not think it takes a lot more money to build a road as compared to many other states? There's a lot of hills and mountains that need tamed in order to build a road.

Not sure why you entered that statement into the discussion. If I was an "outsider", I would think your statement is current.

"At the general election in 1956 the Honorable Cecil H. Underwood became the first Republican to be elected Governor of the State of West Virginia in 24 years" Governor Cecil Underwood at the Republican National Convention
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 11:05 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
Cecil is what they call in the vernacular...a Democrat Republican...or a Republican Democrat...

Old 07-31-2008, 03:44 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Underwood's first term was in 1956. Uh, I think the road situation in WV has changed dramatically since then.

I travel around WV a lot and I think we have pretty darned good roads. I was surprised when I read your statement.

Also, do you not think it takes a lot more money to build a road as compared to many other states? There's a lot of hills and mountains that need tamed in order to build a road.

Not sure why you entered that statement into the discussion. If I was an "outsider", I would think your statement is current.

"At the general election in 1956 the Honorable Cecil H. Underwood became the first Republican to be elected Governor of the State of West Virginia in 24 years" Governor Cecil Underwood at the Republican National Convention
First, you are right about a big change in some of the highways there since I left the state. But it was mentioned that West Virginians are taxed to death, yet it's hard to see where that money goes. I have heard the argument about the roads being where a lot of the money goes all my life, and I still hear it when I talk to people in WV. I only said I don't buy the story about roads costing so much more in West Virginia due to the hills. I know there are only two directions in WV ─ up and down ─ but I don't believe it is as bad as people there have been taught to believe, me among them, and I mentioned Cecil Underwood as an example of how long I've been hearing it. But I admit I wasn't thinking about those who don't know who he is. Of course I could have said I heard it from an even earlier gov. The point is, IMO, it ain't true.

I'm only saying that from being able to compare my home state of WV with other states here in the west that have mountains too. In fact almost all of these mountains are 2 to 3½ times as high as the highest point in WV, plus there are longer distances to cover. Not to mention the fact that for the last 20 years, new roads and schools have had to be built in the Las Vegas Valley for the 6,000 new people a month that have poured in from other states. That's 200 new people a day, and at least 100 new cars a day, in one relatively small area of the state, 365 days a year...for 20 years. Neighboring states of California and Arizona have the same problem. So I do have a comparison.

I also recently read about how many years it took to get some corridor ( I don't know exactly what that is because most other states don't use that term) built across WV, and it was finally completed with a bridge over the Ohio at Parkersburg. The story commented on how much the bridge cost which was part of the reason why it took so long. I thought the amount they were talking about was peanuts by Las Vegas standards where they literally open new roads and bridges on a daily basis.

So comparing Nevada's low taxes with West Virginia's high taxes, knowing how crooked West Virginia politicians are and always have been (not that Nevada's are any better), and seeing what other states that have rugged terrain can do with road money, I have to conclude that they were stealing the money in the 40's, 50's, and 60's, and they never stopped when I rode out of town.

WV main highways are much better than they used to be, but compared to other states, they really aren't anything to write home about, and they are only what they could have, and should have, been 40 years ago; but they weren't because of all those excuses about money. And we are speaking only of the main roads like the three Interstates and ─ what ─ two or three others like Rt. 50?

The old country roads are still there, and still as bad as ever. I'm glad though because when I go back home for vacations I like to take the old country roads. It's very nostalgic to me. But they are still as dangerous as ever, and it still takes forever to get anywhere.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:57 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
During the 60's,70's and into the 80's most of the asphalt work was done by one man's company and he had that company headquartered in Steubenville, Ohio. That companies name was RepCo,inc...meaning Representative Company...ghost owner? A now deceased congressman...Robert H. Moneyhand...sound familiar? To me his fitting tombstone is the Ramada Inn...always take my hat off when I drive by...

all that guardrail work...one man does it...all that highway line painting...one man does it...this is how its done...all legal...solid contracts with no bidding...
those guardrails are pressed in one of the prisons btw...keeps labor cost down....27 cents an hour...

Old 07-31-2008, 04:22 PM

404 posts, read 1,187,679 times
Great story! Got this lurker to post.

I think a lot more people will come home if things get worse. I'd rather be here than in some big city when the carp hits the fan.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharedspirit View Post
Great story! Got this lurker to post.

I think a lot more people will come home if things get worse. I'd rather be here than in some big city when the carp hits the fan.
You might have a point. I know I've thought about how much further my money would go in West Virginia. I do like snow, but I can't stand humidity, so it would be a tough choice.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:35 PM

404 posts, read 1,187,679 times
It's humid here today! I know there is a lot of concern about people flooding WV if there is a disaster on the East coast. I don't think many people would get that far. Especially in the winter.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:43 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharedspirit View Post
It's humid here today! I know there is a lot of concern about people flooding WV if there is a disaster on the East coast. I don't think many people would get that far. Especially in the winter.
Being originally from Charleston, WV but now in Atlanta (duh), I can see the "urge" people get to go back home. I went from a city of roughly 50,000 and no growth to a city where literally 100,000 people move into the metro area EVERY YEAR, and 40 story buildings pop up in a week. Extreme culture shock. When I was 18 and moved here, seeing such a rushrushrush city was cool - now in my 40s, it's getting old. Sitting in traffic for an hour to go 8 miles (if you're lucky) just isn't fun anymore.

I can see myself "coming home" to West Virginia eventually, though I'm a bit lost as to where, specifically. The humidity wouldn't phase me now that I've lived more than half my life in Atlanta's heat and humidity. Friends and relatives who still live in Charleston tell me of how it's gone downhill in so many ways over the years since I moved down here though - I don't want to move back to a "mini Atlanta", so my dreams of returning there one day have sort of been cut-off. I know no one in Huntington or Wheeling, so would have to start fresh, and due to the job economy there now, would have to wait for retirement to kick in to do it. Well, unless my lotto ticket hits it lucky one day.

Maybe one day I'll make it back up there.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:01 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
One thing that holds up a lot of road construction is environmentalists. PotomacStewards.com - Corridor H
This also adds to the cost of roads.

I love the WV mountains, wildlife, etc. but I also like to be able to get around the state. Corridor H sure made life a lot easier getting to Elkins and Canaan.

It's also amazing to see how highways have brought growth to different areas of the state throughout the years.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:08 AM

There is a vicious cycle at work. West Virginia needs a good airport to attract new businesses. To get a decent airport you'd already need the businesses to use it. I'd think it would be worth the gamble for the state to go all out and build a new airport in order to attract businesses. Like Kookamus said, the politicians need to start thinking outside the box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia