Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 09:27 AM

112 posts, read 803,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohki View Post
Thanks for the information about traffic, unfortunately we don't have much of a choice in area to live. The Marc train does sound like a good idea!
MARC train is one hour from Harpers Ferry to Rockville. I imagine this beats driving on most days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 08:35 PM

6 posts, read 36,719 times
Default Advice

Well, we moved out here in november 06, kearneysville to be exact. My brother works in rockville too, it takes him about and hour and a half to get to work, he usually leaves around 6:30. Coming from germantown this area is pretty boring, nothing to do here. I would tell you to look in the kearneysville area, it is right in between, charles town and martinsburg. You can get to frederick county, Montgomery count, washington county using 340 going through charles town, or 70 going through martinsburg. I prefer 340, it is a faster route to montgomery county, it takes me 45 mns without traffic. We moved into the washington trails neighborhood (new development), off rt 9 on the right side going towards martinsburg. Overall all, the area is pretty quite, a little bit different from Montgomery County, but it's okay I guess.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:54 AM

81 posts, read 356,896 times
Default jfkcash81

do you happen to know how long it takes your brother to get home from rockville? also what time does he leave to come home?

thanks

Old 02-17-2007, 04:50 PM

4 posts, read 28,762 times
Poohki -

I don't know if it helps or not but, I just purchased a town home in Fairfax Crossing in Ranson, WV, and would have to agree with what has been said so far. I looked at places outside of JC and just found that it was worth paying the slightly higher prices. Fairfax Crossing is a Ryan Home community and has great amenities as well as a great location, which affords me access to all of the major airports in the area, as well as great shopping, restaurants, and entertainment. I wish you the best of luck finding a place that works for you and your family.

Stormes44-

I will be commuting to Leesburg for work and am assuming my drive will be very similar to yours. You mentioned that you leave at 5am, is that to miss the traffic or just having to do with the time you have to be a work? I'll have to be in by 7am and want to make sure I give myself plenty of time to get there...

Thanks for the help,
~Niki

Old 02-17-2007, 06:48 PM

423 posts, read 1,236,992 times
you have a couple of choices to get from ranson to leesburg. either rt 9 across the mountain thru hillsboro, va to rt 7 in leesburg, or following rt 340 south to berryville, va and then taking rt 7 east into leesburg. the rt 9 trip is probably a little shorter, but on two lane highway that twists and turns. rt 340 to rt 7 is probably a little longer, but is four lane virtually all of the way. it's a 30 min drive to leesburg normally, probably 40 mins or so at 6 am.

i work in herndon and usually leave charles town at 5 am to get into work by 6 am.

re: the commute to rockville ....... a previous job took me down into tysons corner. for that commute, i left charles town at 4:50 am and got into tysons at 6:00 am. for that trip, i left charles town on rt 340 to frederick, md and then took rt 270 to the beltway and then into tysons. you really have to get onto rt 270 south by 5:10 or so in order to make any time. it's very congested, but traffic flows at 65 or 70 mph. there are rockville exits off of rt 270 south.

the return trip usually takes me 10 - 15 mins longer, leaving herndon at 4 pm.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:26 AM

92 posts, read 327,081 times
Niki,

I leave at 5AM for two reasons: traffic, and I am allowed to begin
work at 6AM. Actually, what drives my commute isn't the AM drive,
it's the PM madness, especially once you get to the bottleneck at
Leesburg. I live in the southern end of JC just north of Summit Point,
and my commute takes me through SP towards Route 340 and Berryville
where I pick up Route 7 and take that to the Greenway and on into
Reston. Morning drive is 55 minutes (best ever is 49 minutes !!!).
Afternoon, if I'm in the car by 3:30, takes on average an hour, although
some days I can get home a few minutes quicker. It all depends on
how well traffic is moving on that particular day. One thing you can count
on when commuting to and from the DC area: don't count on anything.
From one day to the next, no matter what time of day or what the weather,
expect the unexpected. I have been trapped on Route 7 just west of Leesburg
because a concrete truck has stalled and is sitting in the right lane while
a sheriff sits behind it doing NOTHING !!! I have been trapped on Route 9
just east of the Shenandoah River bridge because a Medi-vac helicopter
has to set down on the bridge to transport accident victims. I have had to
turn around on Route 7 and backtrack to Round Hill and cut up through the
backroads to reach Route 9 because of accidents. And, unfortunately,
there is ZERO traffic coverage on local radio in the afternoon, except for
the occasional once per hour report from WINC-FM; heaven forbid they
interrupt their structured format to inform commuters ahead of time. The
other good thing about commuting through Berryville: cheaper gas !!!
Sometimes, it's a good 20 cents/gallon cheaper than WV.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:43 AM

12 posts, read 46,276 times
Default hmmmm

I would def suggest taking the train!

Old 02-26-2007, 07:56 AM

6 posts, read 36,719 times
Default Rockville commute

He told me it takes him about 1:30 with traffic from rockville to kearneysville, and about 50mns without traffic.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:50 PM

3 posts, read 9,155 times
Default Jefferson County

Hello there!

My husband and I recently bought a single family home in Charles Town (Jefferson Cty) WV which is only a jump skip and a hop from Shepardstown! We lived in Mont. County Maryland (not far from Rockville) and sold our townhome when we bought here. As far as commuting . . there is the MARC train but there are only a few schedules that come out to WV. I drive to Brunswick, MD (about 15 minutes from Huntfield) and take the train into Rockville and then take the subway into Bethesda, MD. My husband and I looked in Brunswick, MD it's an old town and not much on the market at the time that we were looking. My husband currently drives to the METRO (Washington, DC subway) in Gaithersburg (next town over from Rockville) and it takes him about an hour.

I am not sure of your price range but there is quite a bit of new construction going on in the area. The two builder that I can think of and their website is listed below. If you are looking into new construction this process can take numerous months for instance, we signed our contract early July and bought the middle of October. They only had the foundation laid at the time that we signed the contract.

http://www.khov.com/ - K. Hovnanian - - click on WV and Eastern panhandle and there are a few developments there. We bought in a planned development called Huntfield and we simply LOVE it! Planned development simply means that there is a mix of residential and commercial in the same development which makes things naturally close) This was the builder that my husband and I dealt with and would purchase another home. If you are selling a home, this was one of the few builders that took a contract subject to us selling our townhome. Which means if our sale fell thru .. we would not loose our deposit. This is also one of the few developments that offer amenties (something we were looking into) such as tennis courts and swimming pool, recreation room and tot lots. The amentites have not been built yet and will be once they builders (both Ryand and KHov sell a certain # of homes. We worked with Lynda Leimbach and she was awesome! Just tell them that Nick and Rebecca Delaney referred you!

http://www.ryanhomes.com/ - - Another builder in this development is called Rayan homes. There is also another development in Ranson (only about 2 miles from here) called Fairfax Crossing. They also have a townhome/ single family home mix with a huge commercial development going in next to their entrance. The houses are about the same size here and a model called Victoria which is a little larger. The houses are really close together and not much yard space.

If you are looking at resale home . . there is a website for this as well.

http://www.homesdatabase.com/ - - This website does not list the address of the house but does give the potential buyer specific info such as #of bedrooms, bathrooms and price range and description of the home itself.

Charles Town is awesome

Shepardstown is good also . . but a little more pricier than CT

Ranson is ok but an older town

There is also Frederick, MD which is about 18 miles from charles Town. For the mid 300's you would be looking at newer townhomes and 30 to 40 year old single family homes. Just to give you a price range for here (NEW CONSTRUTION) we topped out at the low 400 and had lots of builder upgrades. Of course, there were lots of builder incentives which made the price even LOWER!!!

close to Rockville you will find Urbana . . a littler pricier then Frederick but newer homes and still building.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-01-2007, 04:26 AM

81 posts, read 356,896 times
Default Thanks for all of the great information!

Wow! it is so great to have so much useful information given to me. What I have been most concerned with regarding this move is the commute time for my hubby. Currently we live in Warrenton, VA and it takes him anywhere from 1:30-3hours to get home. I was afraid that we would run into the same mess in WV. It sounds like it will be a shorter commute for him. I have asked him about the MARC train, but he says that the station is a couple of miles from his office. Does anyone know if there is public transportation that goes out of the station there?

DelaneyClan 97 - thanks for the housing information you gave. I have actually looked on all the sites you mentioned, although I was looking at houses in Martinsburg when I checked out the Khovanian site. I will revisit that site and look at Charles Town. I have an aunt who lives in Charles Town, and a cousin in Ranson. I have heard that Charles Town gets very traffic heavy in the evening because of the race track. Do you find this to be true for you?

I really do appreciate all of the great shopping, commuting and housing info. I check this site daily to see if anyone else has responded, and wil continue to do so................We are very excited to be moving to WV!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia